cobra3073

New Member with a 1969 Mach 1

Hi Everybody!

I just registered today and thought I might use this opportunity to introduce myself and my plans for a 1969 Mach I that I am purchasing on tomorrow.

I am a 30-year retired AF Chief Master Sergeant and a 17-year retired Federal Investigator. I have owned and raced a number of Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles with the current stable consisting of a 2013 Lincoln MKT, a 2003 Mercury Marauder, a 1989 5.0 LX, a 1973 Mach 1 (currently with a 1969 428CJ Motor and Toploader) and a 1973 Grande (with a .060 over mildly modified 460 with C6).

I built the Grande as a prelude to my swapping the 428CJ out of the Mach 1 for a 545 (429SCJ Block, RPM 4.500" crank with Charlie Evans ported Trick Flow Streets). While the Grande was undergoing paint, I noticed that the Restorer had a 1969 Mach 1 there that had all the body work completed. It will need the interior and a hood and we settled on a deal just today. My plan is to install the 428CJ and a C6 (cast iron tail shaft from a 428CJ) in the 1969 Mach 1 and give it to my youngest son on his 16th birthday (2 years hence).

While I have the utmost confidence in my "Restorer", I look forward to interacting with you all as I continue this journey.

Again, most of my experience has been with the 1971 - 1973 Mustangs. In fact, I am a Moderator on a Site dedicated to those years. As some of you may have surmised, my primary interest in the past has been in the 1/4 mile racing world.

I am looking forward to learning a LOT more about the 1969/1970 Mustangs and look forward to interacting on the individual Forums.

BT

Hi Everybody!

I just registered today and thought I might use this opportunity to introduce myself and my plans for a 1969 Mach I that I am purchasing on tomorrow.

I am a 30-year retired AF Chief Master Sergeant and a 17-year retired Federal Investigator. I have owned and raced a number of Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles with the current stable consisting of a 2013 Lincoln MKT, a 2003 Mercury Marauder, a 1989 5.0 LX, a 1973 Mach 1 (currently with a 1969 428CJ Motor and Toploader) and a 1973 Grande (with a .060 over mildly modified 460 with C6).

I built the Grande as a prelude to my swapping the 428CJ out of the Mach 1 for a 545 (429SCJ Block, RPM 4.500" crank with Charlie Evans ported Trick Flow Streets). While the Grande was undergoing paint, I noticed that the Restorer had a 1969 Mach 1 there that had all the body work completed. It will need the interior and a hood and we settled on a deal just today. My plan is to install the 428CJ and a C6 (cast iron tail shaft from a 428CJ) in the 1969 Mach 1 and give it to my youngest son on his 16th birthday (2 years hence).

While I have the utmost confidence in my "Restorer", I look forward to interacting with you all as I continue this journey.

Again, most of my experience has been with the 1971 - 1973 Mustangs. In fact, I am a Moderator on a Site dedicated to those years. As some of you may have surmised, my primary interest in the past has been in the 1/4 mile racing world.

I am looking forward to learning a LOT more about the 1969/1970 Mustangs and look forward to interacting on the individual Forums.

BT

Welcome to the forum Chief! This forum has a bunch of great people, and they will help with any questions you might have. It is also nice to have another AF person on the forum. Post pics when you get a moment, everybody will be asking for them.

Welcome to the forum Chief! This forum has a bunch of great people, and they will help with any questions you might have. It is also nice to have another AF person on the forum. Post pics when you get a moment, everybody will be asking for them.

Well, I went over and sealed the deal on the '69 Mach 1 today. I am REALLy impressed with the fact that the body is perfectly straight with ABSOLUTELY no rust or bondo.

Here are a couple of pictures. I will be providing periodic updates.

picture.php?albumid=185&pictureid=1438

picture.php?albumid=185&pictureid=1437

picture.php?albumid=185&pictureid=1439

The "Restorer" has most of the trim pieces. I am going to have to acquire the front bucket seats and some odds and ends for the interior such as a headliner. The First Lady and I are still trying to decide on the final exterior color prior to constructing the interior. I have the "Marti Report" and it originally came with an H-Code with FMX, New Lime externally and white interior. Quite frankly, I am kind of gravitating toward "Sinister" Black but we shall see.

I have some photos of my '73 Mach 1, my '73 Grande and my 2003 Marauder in my folder.

Again, I am really looking forward to this journey.

BT

Well, I went over and sealed the deal on the '69 Mach 1 today. I am REALLy impressed with the fact that the body is perfectly straight with ABSOLUTELY no rust or bondo.

Here are a couple of pictures. I will be providing periodic updates.

picture.php?albumid=185&pictureid=1438

picture.php?albumid=185&pictureid=1437

picture.php?albumid=185&pictureid=1439

The "Restorer" has most of the trim pieces. I am going to have to acquire the front bucket seats and some odds and ends for the interior such as a headliner. The First Lady and I are still trying to decide on the final exterior color prior to constructing the interior. I have the "Marti Report" and it originally came with an H-Code with FMX, New Lime externally and white interior. Quite frankly, I am kind of gravitating toward "Sinister" Black but we shall see.

I have some photos of my '73 Mach 1, my '73 Grande and my 2003 Marauder in my folder.

Again, I am really looking forward to this journey.

BT

No bondo? Damn, you scored big time. Looks like they saved you many hours on the tear down.

Roger that!

Since I already have the engine, transmission and rear end, I had been scouring different sources trying to find just this kind of deal. And as another Member noted, it apparently was a project that someone had sunk money into it and lost interest and/or ran out of treasure.

The real upside is that it was within 10 miles of my home at a Shop I have done business with for over 10 years. It had just been sitting there covered up, waiting for me.

BT

Hi Everybody!

BT

Welcome aboard from another retired CMSgt and Civil Service Employee. Had a '71 Mach back in the late 70's with a stock 460 Lincoln from a '73 Continental dropped in for a short while. Lot of torque but out of breath before 5 grand.

Edited by 70Mach03

Welcome about from another retired CMSgt and Civil Service Employee. Had a '71 Mach back in the late 70's with a stock 460 Lincoln from a '73 Continental dropped in for a short while. Lot of torque but out of breath before 5 grand.

While stationed at Clark AB, there was a guy running a 460 in a rail and i later learned he was turning that puppy in excess of 6500 RPM. Quite frankly, I could not see it at the time as I was running 351Cs or versions of the 427/428CJ in my '73 Mach. I thought the 429/460 was a bit sedate and that he was only running in the 9s/10s because of his weight.

My current 472 (.060 1970 460) in my '73 Grande with mildly ported D0VE heads and RPM camshaft makes in excess of 500HP (and torque) and has no problem "catching a breath." Mind you, this is a very streetable build. I essentially used this motor and the Grande chassis as templates for the 545 (429SCJ block bored .030 with a 4.500" forged crank) solid roller motor I am putting in my '73 Mach 1 that should easily make power to 7000 RPM. This is with ported (and flowed - 372.8 Intake/243.6 Exhaust at .750 lift) Trick Flow Streets and a modified 1000HP Carb. The 429/460 motors can very EASILY be made into MONSTERS! This is especially true with the early (pre 1974 heads) that only require some slight porting to handle that breathing problem.

It appears we have a number of military folks on this Site and I am really feeling "welcome." As previously noted, I am really looking forward to interacting with y'all on the different Forums.

BT

Welcome! Looks like a great project starting point. A previous owner of my car was in the US Air Force as well. He's sent me some pictures of the car back in the day at Kelly AFB (1991) and Mt. Home AFB (1984).

Good luck whith the project.

I received the seats on yesterday that I referred to in the earlier post and they were exactly as advertised.

On today, I received my new fuel tank that I purchased off E-bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-FORD-MUSTANG-STAINLESS-STEEL-GAS-TANK-SENDING-UNIT-NEW-/330739208242?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1969|Model%3AMustang&hash=item4d0197d032&vxp=mtr

The tank appears to be a QUALITY unit.

The journey continues!

BT