Sign in to follow this  
hawkdriver

Storage for the year

Hello,

Im deploying at the end of this months, and looking for some advice/care for my car to place in storage for the year. To begin it will be garaged, although un heated it will be out of the elements. I live in Pa so it gets cold but not overly extreme. I have already washed and waxed today b/c we hit 60 up here so i figured i would get this project rolling. What else should i be doing. Im prepared to put on jack stands as well just looking for the exact location of where to place them. Any advice is welcomed. Thanks in advance.

-inflate tires, put care up on jackstands (I don't put mine up too high, as the wheels are still in contact with the ground). Pick a nice spot on the subframes, front and rear.

-fresh oil change

-if you're really keen, drain all the coolant out. I've never done this, but I always have a bit more coolant than water in there, so I'm not concerned about it freezing. Loosen rad cap.

-take plugs out and spray a hint of oil down each cylinder. Crank the engine a few times to get cylinders nice and lubed. Put plugs back in once done.

-remove battery, store inside

-for 1 year, I'd be inclined to remove carb and drain the bowls. That said, I'm sure some gas stabilizer run through the system for 15 minutes would be fine too.

-A silicone spray on rubber parts will keep them from cracking in the extreme cold (eg. weatherstripping). Maybe this is overkill, but these cars are pampered anyway...

-something for critters? A few mothballs in a tray inside the car, perhaps.

always good to keep a list of winterizing stuff, so you remember what to undo when you try and start it up :)

Closing off the exhaust pipe like the article from the previous post is a good one but also gets a couple of containers of DampRid and keep under the car as well. I live in northern VA and when I put my car away for the winter a lot of moisture forms on the under carriage.

Hawkdriver,

If your deployment orders have "POV storage authorized" on them (they should) then check out http://www.adkos.com. I'm deploying in Dec for six months and my 69 coupe is going to their Phoenix location, I checked and they have a PA location. Your will file the cost of the storage on your travel voucher and get reimbursed (again if authorized on your orders, save all receipts) and they will keep your car in climate controlled storage with a car cover, add fuel stabilizer, start, move, and cycle heat and AC every 15 days, charge battery if required, etc. They also offer online monitoring. I looked at every option out there and this is what I settled on, they cater to military deployers.

Random question based on your username and location...UH-60s from Indiantown Gap?

The Adkos looks like an awesome service. I am happy that there is something like this provided for our military members for when they are deployed. As letting a car sit for a long period of time could cause alot of damage.