69_Mustang

What did you do to/for your Mustang today?

Thanks Ed, but I have ordered the opentracker. They are real nice people, apologised for USPS costing $42 to ship Down Under.

More progress today. Bought a roller bearing for the bottom of the steering column, went to my local machine shop guy who basically went, yup you need a sleeve to stop that thing walking. Come back Friday. He's an old guy, his machines are them big old heavy cast iron stuff you can't afford now and can't buy new and he does good work. I'll stick it up once done.

Sandblasted the engine pulleys and brackets, along with the under dash brackets, pedal box and bake pedal. I hate sandblasting as I have a crud machine, but it is pleasing to have nice clean things come out ready for paint.

Then I mocked up the roller clutch bearing kit. This is the Scott Drake one and not high end. Plain old gal washer, cheap bearings and lots of intolerance. I can move one side by hand so I'll weld the big ugly washers to the carrier so it don't bind up. The issue is probably more the old twisted pedal box than the kit but it was about half an hours work filing the mount holes flat.

Lastly, spent time thinking on the TKX issue. I think I'll be dropping some cash on one, hoping I can sell the TKO6 for close to what I bought it for.

Thanks for the review on the SD pedal bearing. I'm really pleased with the fit and function of Mustang Steve kit. It moves the bearings outward onto the unused portion of the shaft resulting in no slop.

On 12/27/2022 at 8:05 AM, dbmac said:

I agree with Vic on the TKO600 fitment. Some folks have had success but not all. Here’s my experience with a TKO500 which is smaller. Still needed to cut the tunnel. 

if you have not received the TKO6 yet, I’d seriously consider the TKX. Similar horsepower rating, in a slimmer case designed for retrofits. It’s pretty much the same size as a Toploader.

Let us know how it goes!

I just did the TKX in my '69 Coupe, and I would absolutely recommend it,  I used it to convert my FMX to a 5spd, only hole I had to cut was for the clutch master. It is about half of the size as the FMX, and I would definitely recommend the hydraulic clutch with it. I cant speak for what the cable clutch feels like, but the hydraulic is very easy to operate. I did it through modern driveline and Bruce over there was super helpful getting me set up with it. (Ignore the poor pain work, that has been fixed, but that will give you an idea of how it fits

Transmission installed.jpg

I test fitted the TKO today. I've decided I will try it before I change it out. Lot's of comments on forums about how bad they are but nothing recent. My engine will drop power at about 6400-6500 so I have no need to spin it faster than that.

Without the engine in, there is plenty of room to fit it and make adjustments. I just fitted it onto the crossmember and held the front up on a jack so when it goes in on the back of the engine I may have different thoughts. I have sufficient side to side room for sure. The top was hitting the seam at the firewall and floor board but a BFH fixed its' issue.

I am waiting for a cam to arrive which is about 3 weeks away so can't do much till then.

Now that our new garage/shop is set up I lifted the hood & uncoiled the remaining wires under the hood that need to be hooked up. I had them coiled up & zip tied to various items under the hood when we moved it from NJ to Virginia.

It's been a long while since I've posted a update but a good friend made my MC bar recently and I finished my plug wires just now.  

The msd ones I had on were rubbing against the shock towers.  

Next I run my starter solenoid and power line then wire up the contour fans.  Just a single 10ga power wire to each from my relays inside  controlled by my Dakota controller and I'll ground them to the frame or something. 

Then I'll start hiding all the wires with my flame retardant wire loom and make it look nicer.   Almost.....

20230319_194810.jpg

34 minutes ago, rwcstang said:

Looking good so far @lalojamesliz

Those Contour fans, are a great mod, especially with the DD Controller, its so helpful that you can set the control temps via phone. 

I have a Ron Morris controller I planned to use then one I got the Dakota rtx I saw it was available and the phone programming like you said sold me!

Started looking around for an offset shifter and prep for the TKX swap later in the year, I liked the MDL Qwik Shifter however, knowing from past experience, MDL tends to sell at a higher price so I started some googling and found the company that makes them: https://redrobertsinc.com/?page_id=178 

I went to their site and emailed them and got an immediate response. I got quoted for a TKX Shifter with 1" back for $304 + Tax/ship in stock, compared to MDLs price $340 + Tax/Ship.  

just posting if anyone was interested in purchasing the correct offset shifter for a better price. Contact Number: 714-651-0829

21 hours ago, rwcstang said:

Started looking around for an offset shifter and prep for the TKX swap later in the year, I liked the MDL Qwik Shifter however, knowing from past experience, MDL tends to sell at a higher price so I started some googling and found the company that makes them: https://redrobertsinc.com/?page_id=178 

I went to their site and emailed them and got an immediate response. I got quoted for a TKX Shifter with 1" back for $304 + Tax/ship in stock, compared to MDLs price $340 + Tax/Ship.  

just posting if anyone was interested in purchasing the correct offset shifter for a better price. Contact Number: 714-651-0829

BTW, that is a good shifter.  That is what I installed when I changed over the TKO600 a while back.  It has a good feel and always shifts well.  

On 3/20/2023 at 1:11 PM, rwcstang said:

Thank you for sharing.  I'll need one when I change over to a tkx

On 3/21/2023 at 10:28 AM, SM69Mach said:

BTW, that is a good shifter.  That is what I installed when I changed over the TKO600 a while back.  It has a good feel and always shifts well.  

yep, I have this in my TKO600 aswell.

22 hours ago, lalojamesliz said:

Thank you for sharing.  I'll need one when I change over to a tkx

np, happy to share the info! aint no way Im paying $40 dollars more, plus ship/tax for a shifter that's being resold. no offense to MDL, but the price gouging is insane.

On 3/19/2023 at 7:56 PM, lalojamesliz said:

It's been a long while since I've posted a update but a good friend made my MC bar recently and I finished my plug wires just now.  

The msd ones I had on were rubbing against the shock towers.  

Next I run my starter solenoid and power line then wire up the contour fans.  Just a single 10ga power wire to each from my relays inside  controlled by my Dakota controller and I'll ground them to the frame or something. 

Then I'll start hiding all the wires with my flame retardant wire loom and make it look nicer.   Almost.....

20230319_194810.jpg

That's a nice looking Monte Carlo bar. Where did ya get it, and what's something like that cost?

10 hours ago, RPM said:

That's a nice looking Monte Carlo bar. Where did ya get it, and what's something like that cost?

It was about $120 in parts and materials but I doubt you can find a better made MC bar

A living legend that goes by the name "revolutions per minute" on forums.... oh yeah... it was you! 

I've been having a random problem with not enough brake vacuum pulling up at the lights. Suspect cam related. Only happened a couple of times but scary when not expected. I fitted a vacuum canister. Initially fitted where the vent vacuum canister was located but I found it was too close to the wheel so moved it the front of the guard. The can has three ports so set up with vac in and vac out. The third port used for the vent vacuum so I have done away with that canister. Test drove and works very well. At least one job this week was a success.

IMG-2016.jpg

IMG-2017.jpg

Painted my upper radiator support and installed my victor jr intake.   Lots of acetone used, many rags and time. I tried my best. I'll see how good I did when I finally fire it up.  I couldn't open my fancy distributor because of my temp sensor port so I filed it down a bit

20230408_101958.jpg

20230407_215005.jpg

7 hours ago, lalojamesliz said:

Painted my upper radiator support and installed my victor jr intake.   Lots of acetone used, many rags and time. I tried my best. I'll see how good I did when I finally fire it up.  I couldn't open my fancy distributor because of my temp sensor port so I filed it down a bit

20230408_101958.jpg

20230407_215005.jpg

Wait... what? I thought you were sick, or out of town. Or both. 

Looks nice and clean. 

10 hours ago, RPM said:

Wait... what? I thought you were sick, or out of town. Or both. 

Looks nice and clean. 

I did this on Friday when I was feeling better but fit the radiator and bracket Saturday morning.  I was out of town all day yesterday 

On 4/8/2023 at 5:05 PM, lalojamesliz said:

20230408_101958.jpg

20230407_215005.jpg

You need to tell me if that progressive ignition distributor is worth the money or not.  Considering one.

Which intake is that?