69_Mustang

What did you do to/for your Mustang today?

36 minutes ago, Mach1 Driver said:

Send them to a machine shop for a valve job, and they will come back pretty, and healthy. Anything you put on there will likely end up in the crankcase with other nasty stuff you don't want in there.

Is that the only option?

2 hours ago, NewStangOwner said:

Is that the only option?

If that car has been sitting long, chances are the rubber seals are dried up and will leak soon. I would remove the engine, clean it up, remove the oil pan and heads. Check the cylinder for wear (the ridge at top is a good indicator). Clean the heads, clean the top of pistons, change all the seals and gaskets (front and rear main seal, head gaskets, intake gaskets, valve seals, valve cover and oil pan gaskets and freeze plugs). Wash the water galleys out while the freeze plugs are out, remove the radiator and wash it out. Disassemble and clean the oil pump. Clean the carb. Assuming it is an automatic, I would also change the transmission front, rear seals (may be the transmission oil pan gasket if it is leaking).  Above can be done at home without sending it to a machine shop with basic tools and a torque wrench (if you have access to an engine hoist).

22 hours ago, RPM said:

I rode in a 66 coupe with a bench seat back circa 1977 when I hitchhiked from Tijuana BC to Fresno Ca.

Geez, they let just about anyone foreign looking into the county back then.

On 6/9/2022 at 9:05 PM, RPM said:

@Mike65 have you realized it's not big enough yet? :)

Not to worry, we all do at some point. 

@RPM For what I need it for it will be OK. If I have to get my 05 F150 in the garage we can move my wife's motorcycle in front of the Mustang & then there is plenty of room for it. I should have made it a 3 car garage but the cost of the concrete was expensive for the 2 car garage.