69_Mustang

What did you do to/for your Mustang today?

Okay, update time.  Oil pan is fully installed.  No leaks so far.

Pulled the carburetor to do some bench tuning and idle tuning: 

• Found that the primary transfer slot was too exposed, and the secondary was not exposed at all.  Fixed that.  Set idle mix screws at 1.25 complete turns. 
  • Reinstalled the carburetor, turned the engine over to prime the carb... remembered I had not put oil in after the oil pan change.  Put the oil in.  About bought the farm on that one.
  • Started up the engine using the fast idle cam for the choke and let it warm up. kicked down the fast idle to idle... engine kept running!  No tach so no idea where it is idling.
  • Vacuum gauge says 7-9, bouncing a bit... turn the curb idle up half a turn, vacuum smoothes out at 8-9+.
  • Turned the idle mix screws in about a quarter turn, vacuum becomes steady at a bit over 9.  Idle mix screws are 1 full turn from seated.  Might do more?
  • Unplugged the vacuum gauge, plugged in the vacuum advance (full manifold vacuum). Idle increases.
  • Take out the half turn from the curb idle, drops back down to where it started.  nice steady vacuum at 9.

And that is where I ended it.  On a high note.  Question though... does idle increase or decrease when the car is put into gear?  I didn't have a second person to help with that.  I will tomorrow, just curious what to expect.  The stock power valve in the carburetor is a 6.5.  I am guessing I need a 4.5

Started stripping the engine. I'm at the point where I need to take it apart get it cleaned up and inspected and see what I need to rebuild. It hasn't run for about 25 years but only has 3-3.5k miles on it. I have new water pump, thermostat, ignition system, carb, timing gear set, valve covers, hardware and a few other odds-&-ends. Anyone remember these plug wires?

IMG_0737.JPG

IMG_0738.JPG

I couldn’t get my car to idle down under 1200.  I backed the curb idle off so the butterfly was completely closed.  Still 1000 rpm.  So a) I have my secondary butterflies open too much, and b) too much initial timing.

Made a timing adjustment to my car.  Initial is set at 10 degrees.  Was running full manifold for vacuum advance... switched it over to ported (venturi) vacuum.  Dropped idle down to 900, which is where I wanted it.

Fixed my passenger side sport mirror.  Watched a video from West Coast Classic Cougar and tightened it up so it stays put when I drive before I put new mirror glass on it.

Installed new medallions on the sides.

Just ordered an original 69 C9Z AM Philco radio,  It did not have knobs but I think I have some.  Yelling at 16 year old me for losing that original radio.

On 7/31/2019 at 11:21 PM, TexasEd said:

Just ordered an original 69 C9Z AM Philco radio,  It did not have knobs but I think I have some.  Yelling at 16 year old me for losing that original radio.

I recently just got lucky with my original radio.  While at my dad's house, I actually ran across an old box in the attic that had the original Philco radio in it.  The knobs are gone, but other wise all original.  I had put an AM/FM/Casette player in there so I could play cassettes (and mix-tapes!)

12 hours ago, MustangRanch said:

I don't think,  growing up,  any of us got lucky... without the radio....in our mustangs

All I know is the seats were not conducive to extra curricular activity.

I got the Mustang up on ramps in the rear & jack stands in the front to get ready to install the trans on Saturday. It is about 1 1/2 feet off the ground, just enough room for me to slide under it with the T-5 trans on a floor jack.

2 hours ago, whoapony said:

Finished at my attempt to restore my steering wheel! I dont think it came out to bad, especially for a daily driver!!

Looks good. How is the fit and function of the switch and where did you get it?

1 hour ago, aslanefe said:

Looks good. How is the fit and function of the switch and where did you get it?

Thanks!! I got the switch off ebay, tested it and it was working. So far it works installed with a multimeter, I haven't put it in the car yet.

Today I installed the T-5 trans & shifter.  rmarks, My Coupe was a rolling shell when I got it so I did not need a kit to install the T-5. The trans & the modded 5.0L engine is from a 1987 Mustang GT, I am using a hydraulic clutch kit from Modern Driveline, the trans mount is from a C-4 trans, & the trans crossmember is from Calponycars.

https://calponycars.com/1964-1973-classic/784-tra-670-523.html

https://www.moderndriveline.com/catalog/hydraulic_masters.htm

100_1562.JPG

100_1564.JPG

I took two days off of work this week. I got the stainless brake lines run, stainless fuel lines run, fuel tank installed,  wheel bearings/rotors installed, calipers installed, new rag joint, and most of the power steering assembly is ready to go back in. Waitin on one stinkin part that was backordered at CJ pony.... 

Next up is the pedal assembly with clutch pedal and MDL cable clutch kit... 

It felt great to finally get a couple days off of work to get some time on the car.