69_Mustang

What did you do to/for your Mustang today?

Okay, got the harness tape yesterday, so I finished wrapping the front lighting harness.  Took it over and installed it along with the rear harness.  Plugged everything in, installed NEW bulbs... and two things happened.  First, the side lights are nice and bright now.  Second, the turn indicator is not coming on when the lights are engaged.  I dont know what I fixed or how, but the issue is gone.  Tonight I am going to try to get the dash back in.

When I pulled rear harness, there is a green/yellow wire in the harness that hooks into... nothing.  I think it is for the trunk light... which I dont have... but might soon!  Doesnt hook into anything up front.

I have to figure out how to get the sail panel light plugged back in... without taking the sail panel out.

5 hours ago, Cantedvalve said:

Right.  I don’t have the light, and neither end is hooked to power... or at least I don’t remember it being hooked to power.  I will eventually get the light for the trunk, just not there yet.

Trunk light harness connects to the under dash harness just behind the gauge cluster (close to where the tail light harness connects to dash harness). You might want to plug the dash end of the trunk light harness while the dash is out so you will have power ready in the trunk for when you put a trunk light.

More work on front brake ducts making molds. Started like this, 4 pieces of 2X4 glued together. Rough cut to shape. Then sanded to final shape and smoothed. Still needs finish then glass work. Then do otherside.

IMG_0624.JPG

IMG_0620.JPG

IMG_0623.JPG

IMG_0634.JPG

So I was able to get the front lights wiring installed yesterday along with the parking lamps. Now everything is working perfectly. The issues were, on the left side, a badly corroded bulb/socket in the parking lamp which was causing left side markers to be very dim and the turn signal indicator to turn on with the headlight switch. On the right side, I hade a broken wire in the harness where the right parking lamp plugs in. This caused the right indicator light to turn on with the headlight switch and the rear marker to not work.  This allowed me to install the gauges and dash along with the steering column. I also cut the front carpet to fit, installed the kick panels, and hooked up the front speakers again.

Today, I installed the driver seat and sill plate. I also removed the upper door trim and painted it. Will reinstall it tomorrow with new lock knobs.  Technically I could have driven it today, but no plates or radiator overflow line yet.

yet to do is finish the passenger side front seat belt and install the seat, install the catch can and overflow hose for the radiator, and install the rear valence and bumper.  That’s it as far as assembly work goes. I do have some cleaning to do though. 

Today marks the end of major mechanical work on the car!  I got the overflow tank installed, and ran the car.  The goal was to see if the fan would kick on.  Sure enough, when the gauge got to about 2/3, the fan kicked on for about 2 minutes.  Woohoo!  After that I did something that hasn’t been done for years... closed the hood!

6D62F798-7A58-4FFE-B78B-F6EE3A03EB87.jpeg

Pulled my original worn out oil burning motor and put in a pretty decent early 70's 302 with new cam, lifters, push rods and timing chain. Haven't driven it yet, but it sounds good and holds great oil pressure.  Going to run this til I figure out what I am gonna do with the original motor. 

Swapped in a new starter today.  I think the starter I pulled was the original, which is a pretty good service life.  Put in a Powermaster 9603 and it’s spins so much better.  Still waiting for my valence hardware though.

Gonna get it plated tomorrow.

I drove the car for the first time in... 9 years today. Just a jaunt down the road, but far enough that I ran out of gas.  I don’t remember the ride being that rough.  First I had to get the trunk to shut... ended up that the latch mechanism was gummed up.  A little shot of brake cleaner got it moving again.

My 14” air cleaner doesn’t fit - hits the distributor. Need to get an offset base or a smaller air cleaner.  Anyone in the market for a never used 14” air cleaner with a 3” K&N filter and a flange height of 3”?

Valence mounting kit will be here today. Also hopped down to harbor freight for a pressure gauge so I can get the transmission adjusted. It’s shifting late and not going into OD. So hopefully setting the TV pressure fixes that. Also need to get the steering column bolted to the rag joint. Always a crowd pleaser.

Offset base ordered for the air cleaner. Only other thing under the hood is to wrap a few wires for tidyness

My air cleaner didnt fit... offset base showed up today.  I had a 1" drop on my original base, but there is no drop on the new base.  Not sure if that will make a problem for me or not.

Also ordered a Quik Latch for the air cleaner lid.  That should help with hood clearance vs. traditional stud/wing nut combo.

Air cleaner didn’t fit, was hitting the distributor. Tried an offset base, which didn’t fit as it was hitting the float screw on the front bowl. Ordered a 13” air cleaner, which JUST fits. Installed the Quik Latch button for hood clearance issues.

Transmission is not shifting right.  It’s a built AOD with 2500 stall and one piece input shaft. Used to drive well. Now it’s shifting late and hard, which points to a high throttle valve pressure due to improper cable adjustment or stuck throttle valve.  Ordered a new throttle valve cable. Should be here today.  If that doesn’t work, then I’ll have to pull the valve body.

Received in the new throttle valve cable. Whole new revision, and it’s much improved over my 15 year old version. Bolted it up, warmed up the car, and snuggled up the ferule to “slack tension.”

Transmission shifts perfectly again. Huge load off my mind.

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:01 PM, Cantedvalve said:

Today marks the end of major mechanical work on the car!  I got the overflow tank installed, and ran the car.  The goal was to see if the fan would kick on.  Sure enough, when the gauge got to about 2/3, the fan kicked on for about 2 minutes.  Woohoo!  After that I did something that hasn’t been done for years... closed the hood!

6D62F798-7A58-4FFE-B78B-F6EE3A03EB87.jpeg

and the hood opened the next day, and so on, and so, and.......