69_Mustang

What did you do to/for your Mustang today?

After I got my 69 Mach 351/W out of the shop where I asked them to check the gap on my OLD Accel dual points I noticed it all of a sudden got hard to start when it warmed up. Well, I got the ole inductive timing light out and sure enough it was up around 25 degrees BTDC maybe more. I dropped it back down to 10 and now I don't feel like I DON'T need a new starter! Specs say 6 degrees. I've got a moderate Crane Cam in it so I advanced it a little more. Any suggestions since the last time I had this motor tuned was a power time on a dyno.

I don't think I'll be going back there anymore!

Steve

Steve, what shop if you don't mind me asking?

received my RAE Racing Front Coilover kit in the mail! I also got my Cobra Automotive 1 1/4" hollow sway bar in a couple days ago. waiting for the car to get out of the shop so I can install all of this! I can't wait to see how it transforms the handling.

Here are some pics:

This is one of everything, not necessarily for one specific side

IMAG0312_zps98a59ccc.jpg

UCA

IMAG0313_zps65ab50ee.jpg

Upper coilover mount

IMAG0315_zps9b2a24be.jpg

LCA and sway bar mount

IMAG0316_zpsb3346488.jpg

Strut Rod

IMAG0317_zps868bb6c3.jpg

Assembled AFCO Coilover with AFCO 450 lb springs

IMAG0318_zps5dd3d108.jpg

After I got my 69 Mach 351/W out of the shop where I asked them to check the gap on my OLD Accel dual points I noticed it all of a sudden got hard to start when it warmed up. Well, I got the ole inductive timing light out and sure enough it was up around 25 degrees BTDC maybe more. I dropped it back down to 10 and now I don't feel like I DON'T need a new starter! Specs say 6 degrees. I've got a moderate Crane Cam in it so I advanced it a little more. Any suggestions since the last time I had this motor tuned was a power time on a dyno.

I don't think I'll be going back there anymore!

Steve

The only thing that can be said for sure is the stock setting of 6*BTDC is enemic at best. I firmly believe in setting timing by ear and that each car should be given as much as it likes, every one is unique and even two identical engines may require slightly different settings to be optimal. Turn the distributor just until it starts to ping, then back it off a hair, that should be optimal. My mild but certainly not stock 302 likes 13*BTDC as a reference so while 10 is in the neighborhood yours can probably take a few more.

I would also consider upgrading to pertronix while you are at it, they claim it only works with a stock distributor but I also have an old dual points Accel mechanical advance with the tan cap and had no issues whatsoever modifying the kit to work.

Bought an AOD out of an 87 mustang on Saturday, placed an order for new valve springs, valve stem seals, heavy duty water pump, high volume oil pump and then made the mistake of breaking out Excel to figure out what it's going to cost to get it back on the road this summer, :pinch:

th_100_0444_zps3f6f8e07.jpg

Not today but over this past weekend I cleaned the wiper motor & mounting bracket & painted both of them satin black. Before painting the wiper motor I put small pieces of tape over the part # & the build date (10/28/1968) to preserve them so they didnt get covered by paint.

...decided to rip my current black cluster and standard panel out, and later this week put my newly bought teak version in. And also "polish" the stuff up a bit.

Since I don´t have a proper garage or workshop.. I just have to use my kitchen.

th_100_0451_zpsd8b9e084.jpgth_100_0452_zps8740b382.jpg

First this past weekend I tested the new slide switch I purchased from Radio Shack for the map light & it works, second after cleaning the e-brake assembley I painted it.