69_Mustang

What did you do to/for your Mustang today?

Pulled off the power steering pump that was weeping fluid from the pressure line hole through the housing and put a small bead of head gasket sealer. No more leaks. 

Adjusted timing and choke for a little better idle and then the accelerator pump to get rid of hesitation. 

I had installed small speakers inside the kick panel vents which still let me use the vents when needed. The small speakers did not sound decent so I decided to increase the speaker size while keeping them functional. So I modified the vents to mount pod I manufactured  which holds 5.25" speakers. Now I have bigger speakers and vent is still functional (it does not open all the way, just about half way now).

IMG_1042.jpg

IMG_1063.jpg

IMG_1068.jpg

IMG_1077.jpg

IMG_1079.jpg

IMG_1094.jpg

While I was covered in resin, I decided to make a pod that replaces the whole vent and let me mount up to 7" diameter speaker on my 1970 vert. You remove your vent, install this pod which acts like a cabin for your speaker).  One for right side, one for left side (which are mirror images of each other).

IMG_1101.jpg

Then decided to see why the clock on the vert was not working; opened it up and found a gear had broken spindle.  Does anybody have any old clock mechanism that I can use parts from, may someone who converted to quartz etc?

IMG_1108.jpg

While I was working on the vert, I decided to polish the windshield trim.  the one on right is polished, the one on left not yet.

IMG_1109.jpg

As you all know one think leads to another, so while I was at it I decided to take the vert apart and restore it while changing the color back to it's original competition yellow. Looks like it is going to need some (maybe a lot more than some) rust repair/metal replacements. I will be changing it a little bit, will use modern cloth top with glass, will change the upholstery and door panel designs to vinyl/cloth and make them resemble 1980s Recaros.

IMG_1106.jpg

On 1/21/2021 at 7:33 PM, rwcstang said:

Converted my headlights to LED, The lens housing are crystal clear (not bad looking) for a good price too. $199.00 best conversation imo, really bright at night!
if you want the OEM look I recommend buying these: https://www.octanelighting.com/5-3-4-stock-glass-metal-headlight-18-24w-6k-led-h4-lamp-light-bulb-headlamp-set.html

IMG_5939.JPG

How is distance of illumination on the low beams compared to original type sealed beams?

On 4/23/2021 at 10:22 AM, Sampa said:

How is distance of illumination on the low beams compared to original type sealed beams?

I have not really measured the distance and I only drove around the block, it is very bright compared to my Scott Drake halogens. However I did take pictures of the high and low beams are the attached photos below.

someone on VMF created a thread about LED/Halos and I posted them there, Dapper lighting shared some insight that my setup had to much glare due and their kit was far superior. you can view that discussion here: https://www.vintage-mustang.com/threads/led-headlights-with-halos.1185055/page-2

I just felt their kits wasn't worth the $300-400 and he danced around some questions, so I didn't like their design. Almost all headlights will show some glare, but overall Im happy with my purchase.

IMG_5957.JPG

IMG_5958.JPG

IMG_5959.JPG

IMG_5956.JPG

On 4/22/2021 at 2:32 PM, aslanefe said:

Then decided to see why the clock on the vert was not working; opened it up and found a gear had broken spindle.  Does anybody have any old clock mechanism that I can use parts from, may someone who converted to quartz etc?

IMG_1108.jpg

I have a complete dash clock from a 69 Mach-1 that I do not need if you think it will work for parts you are welcome to it. Jut pay for the shipping.

4 hours ago, Mike65 said:

I have a complete dash clock from a 69 Mach-1 that I do not need if you think it will work for parts you are welcome to it. Jut pay for the shipping.

Hi Mike, thanks for your generous offer. Is the clock you have round or rectangle? I believe round ones use Borg, and rectangle ones use General Timing mechanisms In any case I will gladly pay the shipping as the gear I need may be a common part between the two. Let me know how much I owe you.

1 hour ago, Mountaineerfan said:

Not today, but over the weekend:

Just got the car back from the shop after the accident.  Installed a new FlowKooler aluminum water pump, and took her for a spin!

Nice! Is that Acapulco blue? The planes in the background remind me of the Aviation and Technology Center over near Lockheed in Marietta.

On 4/26/2021 at 11:20 AM, Mach1 Driver said:

Nice! Is that Acapulco blue? The planes in the background remind me of the Aviation and Technology Center over near Lockheed in Marietta.

Yes it is, and yes it is!

Even more exciting, my car was chosen to be in the Mustang Featured Area at the May 2 Caffeine & Octane!  Gulp!  Time to get to cleaning!!

After changing the water pump, I no longer had coolant pooling on top of the timing cover behind the pump, but now I have oil pooling!

Got everything cleaned off, then started the car and watched.  Started seeing oil begin weeping through a tiny hairline crack on top of the timing cover and running to the area where the pooling was located.  Stopped the engine, cleaned everything off, sprayed some carb cleaner just to wipe it down, and then applied a small thin bit of Quick Steel high heat putty to the crack and smoothed it like drywall mud.  I let it sit for two hours (package said one), and then fired it back up.  Voila!  No more oil pooling!  I feel good about my fix, as the timing chain cover does not have a lot of pressure to it, and it was just a tiny crack.  That was 4 days ago.  I've driven it every day, and have been checking.  Still no leak!  Hooray!

The picture show the pooling, although there was usually much more than this!  The crack was up at the top of the cover, near the bolt.

LeakyEngine.jpg

Swapped out the old radiator and crappy fan with a complete kit from West Coast Classic Cougar.  The kit includes a new 3 core 24” big block radiator, fan shroud, big block fan with clutch, and all the mounting hardware.  The swap was easy and fit was great.

Cooling System Upgrade Kit

7503934E-434E-4979-A8F3-8D10EEC9D515.jpeg

Finally got my voltage regulator I’ve been waiting for since last year.  I got racing seats for my 2016 Viper ACR E so I might reupholster those seats in white w grabber blue stitching & install in the GT350. Shelby worked on the Mustang & Viper so it’s not a big stretch.

82CAC5F2-1C10-48FD-9315-6144F5233B70.jpeg

Next thing I’m doing is swapping the 52 yr old seats. Putting racing seats in my 16 Viper ACR E & see if those seats fit in the GT350. If they fit I’ll have them reupholstered in white w Grabber blue stitching. Will be a lot better for the racing harnesses I wrapped around the stock Shelby roll bar.

2DC1C256-CD1A-4F4F-855F-098F3E82DE1D.jpeg

On 4/22/2021 at 1:32 PM, aslanefe said:

I had installed small speakers inside the kick panel vents which still let me use the vents when needed. The small speakers did not sound decent so I decided to increase the speaker size while keeping them functional. So I modified the vents to mount pod I manufactured  which holds 5.25" speakers. Now I have bigger speakers and vent is still functional (it does not open all the way, just about half way now).

<snip>

While I was covered in resin, I decided to make a pod that replaces the whole vent and let me mount up to 7" diameter speaker on my 1970 vert. You remove your vent, install this pod which acts like a cabin for your speaker).  One for right side, one for left side (which are mirror images of each other).

<snip>

<snip>

While I was working on the vert, I decided to polish the windshield trim.  the one on right is polished, the one on left not yet.

<snip>

As you all know one think leads to another, so while I was at it I decided to take the vert apart and restore it while changing the color back to it's original competition yellow. Looks like it is going to need some (maybe a lot more than some) rust repair/metal replacements. I will be changing it a little bit, will use modern cloth top with glass, will change the upholstery and door panel designs to vinyl/cloth and make them resemble 1980s Recaros.

This is a really interesting mod aslanefe - I have done a same idea- different concept.  For mine, I left the vent body unmodified, but created a bracket that allowed a 5.25in speaker to be suspended in the center, over the open hole.  I can use the vent also, but with reduced airflow.

I'd like to understand more about how this affected the vent opener.  You say it can open but limited amount of opening, I'm trying to figure out how it is limited.  Perhaps we could take it to it's own thread?  Let me know if you're interested in discussing.

3 hours ago, JayEstes said:

This is a really interesting mod aslanefe - I have done a same idea- different concept.  For mine, I left the vent body unmodified, but created a bracket that allowed a 5.25in speaker to be suspended in the center, over the open hole.  I can use the vent also, but with reduced airflow.

I'd like to understand more about how this affected the vent opener.  You say it can open but limited amount of opening, I'm trying to figure out how it is limited.  Perhaps we could take it to it's own thread?  Let me know if you're interested in discussing.

Jay, I had a suspended 4" speaker in there before, but worried about debris coming from vent hitting it and also not having the speaker in a closed enclosure affected the sound; it sounded like a tweeter in there. Limited vent opener means, you can't pull the lever to full extend and have the flap open full; like yours, about half way the flap hits the speaker/enclosure. Welded a new rod on the flap in a different location to attach the cable so cable clears the speaker and also at full pull of handle it stops just as it hits the speaker/enclosure. Another thing, this moves the speaker outboard so vent cover fits with no mods and looks totally stock. I have tweeters on A pillars, this improved the mid range sound from front compared to 4" without enclosure. I made molds for future use for this enclosure and the other vent eliminating enclosure. Pm if you want to know more.