69_Mustang

What did you do to/for your Mustang today?

5 hours ago, Mountaineerfan said:

Got the car back from the transmission shop yesterday.  Rebuilt C4, after losing all forward gears.  Wow, it has more power now than in the previous 8 years I've driven it!  My 17 year old griped at me for smoking the tires as I pulled out of his work when I stopped to show him that it was working! :)

Installed new front parking brake cable, now does anyone have any idea why the foot pedal doesn't seem to be catching when I push it to the floor?

There are a few moving/sliding parts on the parking brake pedal that corrode and freeze when not used for a while. I would remove the pedal and lube it. Removing it makes it easy to see the mechanism and apply lube to where it needs. The release handle spring might be broken too if the handle does not go back in after you release it.

45 minutes ago, Machspeed said:

Epoxy primed a bunch of parts last night. The glossy sheen should dull to a satin finish.....I hope. 

IMG_0231.thumb.jpg.6502ac8103a5f29a6f75e6341dcd358e.jpg

Nice Machspeed. I've not done any painting yet so this will seem like a stupid question: I see your test pattern up on the door, but looking at the parts I'm surprised there isn't more over-spray. So you just sprayed them as the picture shows and there isn't any need to cover anything else to protect it, like the car, etc.?

Very little overspray and I didn't cover anything. I did keep the gun in a direction such that nothing would be bothered and I held the parts in hand while I strategically sprayed them. I did spray the rear end housing right where it's positioned. Cheap Harbor Freight gun....lol!  

Mines been in the shop a few months. She got a NARDI steering wheel, modern BAER brakes in front, 18” Halibrand  wheels wrapped in modern MICHELINs.

last year I gave her new speakers & amp, EIBACH shocks, sway bars & springs w 1.5” drop in front cus she was riding way high when I got her

D3FADD24-82E2-4EC6-9EB8-EF4B3F370362.jpeg

2B8E7279-02CC-41E3-8992-14F33B3DBFFC.jpeg

5D9283F9-C421-4B7A-BC6F-D48A1CB725C4.jpeg

New oil pressure sender and now I don't think the engine is about to blow.  Yippee

So, finally got car on the road Saturday morning. Cars and Coffee in nearby Oviedo, Florida.

Good crowd, lots of pent up demand.

Any day you can drive your Mustang is a good day.

Cars and Coffee.jpg

I stumbled upon these- they look like they would work: https://corvetteparts.com/item/bezel-pair-seatbelt-outlet-at-roof-trim-black-1978-1982.

This is the seatbelt arrangement that is sometimes used: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdk-sb3pbkpbsb, but if you look at the end of the belt that attaches to the left of the drivers seat- its the bracket on the bottom right, I'm wondering why it isn't more decorative? Its intended to swing back to get the belt out of the way when a rear passenger gets in. Does someone make a more attractive seatbelt end that swings?

Spent 6 hours re-painting my center console. Also sprayed my oil breather cap flat black (think I need to re-do it at I believe the correct color for the cap should be gloss black...but I am unsure). I also have several parts on the way from deadnutson (breather hose, NOS breather grommet, and convertible top zipper pull). Did a lot of research last night and created a list of what parts I need to get the engine how I want it to look.

I will post pics of the console tomorrow...got a wicked sunburn today while working on the console...so I am pretty tiered. 

Edit: Here are the pictures. Just for peoples information...this car has a standard interior...so it did not come with a console originally. However, I got lucky a while back and found this at a swap meet for pretty cheap...so I could not pass it up :)

IsQXnpGlSWyhSnccsF0e5w.jpg

pYVZ7jk4SC2uG2QXv%pnsA.jpg

Edited by jperls
Add the picture of the console - as promised

I replaced the whole front suspension. Some Klutz had put in 2 different height spindles and then spaced the arms to make it fit. It started out as a squeaking ball joint that needed greasing, ended up being a total rebuild.

Lucky for us Down Here we have Falcons for donor cars that are plentiful. So I took the front out of a 1991 model with rubber bushes on the top arms and disc stub axles. Sand blasted them, painted chassis black, put in new ball joints, lowered front springs and a 1 1/8" sway bar. Used polyurethane bushes throughout (only because they were cheaper than OEM rubber). At the same time I put 1/8" spacers in the front of the top arm bolts to give it castor and used local KMAC camber bolts to give it camber. Replaced some ordinary wheel bearings too.

Drove it first time yesterday. Seems to steer slightly better - I think the PS box is a bit wobbly - and turns nicer. Sure has some camber on it, it needs a wheel alignment. Sits about 1" above the 15" wheel which is disappointing. I had hoped to get the tyre at least level with the guard but that may still happen once the springs settle.

At least it's a job that is done and I don't need to worry about it.

Good afternoon all,

First post on the forum and chiming in on today's work...disassembly! Dropped exhaust, drive shaft. Front off, fenders off, gas tank out, rear panel disassembled, interior mostly out...need to pull lower dash and steering column yet.

After that, drivetrain and about ready to leave on a flatbed for sandblast...be a few  months yet before that happens but it'll be ready!

Edited by G-Dub

Put in a stealth kill switch.

Hooked the MSD white wire to the cigarette lighter. Push in the lighter, the engine cranks but won't fire. (Mustang thieves don't read Mustang forums. DO they?)

Fixed a rattle in the rear. Turns out it was the 3 light conversion for the tail light that was vibrating with the stereo. A bit of silicone sorted it out.

5 hours ago, smh00n said:

Put in a stealth kill switch.

Hooked the MSD white wire to the cigarette lighter. Push in the lighter, the engine cranks but won't fire. (Mustang thieves don't read Mustang forums. DO they?)

Fixed a rattle in the rear. Turns out it was the 3 light conversion for the tail light that was vibrating with the stereo. A bit of silicone sorted it out.

I've been trying to think of a great place for a killswitch.

11 hours ago, Desertdave said:

I've been trying to think of a great place for a killswitch.

Me too. I thought the chances of some lowlife wanting to light up a cancer stick while trying to boost my Stang was pretty low.

I wasn't sure it would work as a lighter is not the most precision instrument and I thought it may ground out, but it works really well. I've tested it engine off and try to start, engine on activate it and driving along pushing it in and out. All worked and it doesn't ground until the lighter is pushed in.

Took the mustang out on Saturday morning for a bit of a cruise. Found a nice quite section of road. No houses, no cars and only Bush. Did a nice big Smokey burnout the went on my way. 
My 17 year old son was at a party that night and some random kid showed him a video of a hoon lighting up a mustang. Where the hell was this kid? Must have been hiding in the bushes waiting for me.
now my son’s giving me shit about lecturing him on doing things like this.

FYI his licence is suspended from tonight for three months for speeding on his Ps.