69_Mustang

What did you do to/for your Mustang today?

It wasn't today but last thing I worked on was replacing the fuel pump.  The old one thought it was a water sprinkler.  Was the first time I had done this and I had to remove the AC compressor and take off the oil filter to get the old one off.

For the first time in nearly 25 years I have working courtesy lights, clock, map light, and cigarette lighter.  It's funny how these smaller things make the car feel way more complete.  Also I pulled out a poorly wired remote door lock setup that never did work right.

1 hour ago, MN69Grande said:

For the first time in nearly 25 years I have working courtesy lights, clock, map light, and cigarette lighter.  It's funny how these smaller things make the car feel way more complete.  

My first thought after reading your first sentence was it's sometimes the little things that are so rewarding. Kudos. 

Don't I wish I had all that stuff for metal work. I cheated and started with a piece cut from 1-1/8" x .083" round tubing. To get the top to bottom curve I placed it on the female half of a scrapped simple die and hammered away. 

I took my 9" differential + axle housing out last week for a refresh.  Its getting new dutchman axles. The differential housing will be painted red oxide. The axle housing will be painted semi gloss black. New axle seals, lubelocker printed seal (I am impressed with this seal), redline 75w90 and AMK copper nuts and washers.       

On 4/13/2020 at 12:59 AM, Alan_Mac said:

I took my 9" differential + axle housing out last week for a refresh.  Its getting new dutchman axles. The differential housing will be painted red oxide. The axle housing will be painted semi gloss black. New axle seals, lubelocker printed seal (I am impressed with this seal), redline 75w90 and AMK copper nuts and washers.       

Doing the same thing to mine. Making the most of being at home

Got bored with body work and felt the need to do something that made me feel like this resto would eventually be a driver so time to make something shiney.

So new carpet and new chrome trim (Dii Corvex) on the sports deck rear seat and now wrapped in bubble wrap and put away.

I could not get the carpet sitting nice on the floor piece that faces into the trunk - on the pre 69 they have the chrome trim.  Mainly as I have no way to staple steel at hand in reality.  Since the trim kit suits 65-70 I used the early piece to finish it.

The Dii chrome trim is actually nice, lined up with the existing holes quite well.  I would recommend it.

AC85B098-866A-4643-A882-828ED0ABAFB5.jpeg

16 hours ago, Hux said:

Got bored with body work and felt the need to do something that made me feel like this resto would eventually be a driver so time to make something shiney.

So new carpet and new chrome trim (Dii Corvex) on the sports deck rear seat and now wrapped in bubble wrap and put away.

I could not get the carpet sitting nice on the floor piece that faces into the trunk - on the pre 69 they have the chrome trim.  Mainly as I have no way to staple steel at hand in reality.  Since the trim kit suits 65-70 I used the early piece to finish it.

The Dii chrome trim is actually nice, lined up with the existing holes quite well.  I would recommend it.

Shame it had to be wrapped and stuck away.  That's good looking work that oughta be seen.... soon.

Long weekend for us....bit the bullet and fitted up a new quarter skin, went for a butt weld all the way around rather than flange it.   Used some marking out dye and a scribe to lay it out them a sanding disc to get the gaps nice.8821F650-4575-43FD-ACD3-2167887EADFF.thumb.jpeg.fd6fd2ae351b7321dc2814c43f26a560.jpeg

I think there is only about 500 little welds to do and it will be solid steel.

On 5/2/2020 at 4:15 PM, Hux said:

Long weekend for us....bit the bullet and fitted up a new quarter skin, went for a butt weld all the way around rather than flange it.   Used some marking out dye and a scribe to lay it out them a sanding disc to get the gaps nice.8821F650-4575-43FD-ACD3-2167887EADFF.thumb.jpeg.fd6fd2ae351b7321dc2814c43f26a560.jpeg

I think there is only about 500 little welds to do and it will be solid steel.

You're doing that right, Hux. Looks like you got a good fit with that panel too. Curious, how wide is the butt weld gap?   

8 hours ago, Machspeed said:

You're doing that right, Hux. Looks like you got a good fit with that panel too. Curious, how wide is the butt weld gap?   

About 1mm at max.   

I find that I get enough penetration and its certainly strong enough a join.  

To finish I ground it down, used a 2” roloc flap disc to get it low and then hand file finished to the below picture.  

I think a very thin wipe with filler will be all it takes to have it done.

3B6850D4-B4B1-43C5-AE62-24371279BB57.jpeg

21 hours ago, Machspeed said:

That appears to be exceptional work. Did you use panel clamps to maintain alignment? I did a  couple of wheel arches on my truck last week and thought I'd never finish them....lol! 

Right Wheel Arch 5.png

Thanks mate - I am really happy with how it turned out.  Just shows what a bit of patience can deliver even for an amateur like me.

Amazingly no I didn’t use panel clamps I have tried them in the past and found they dont work that well if there is any curve in the panel join area.  

I had a couple of grips holding it in position against the wheel house lip and then just used a bit of finger pressure to hold it aligned while I tacked off.  Once it was tacked off I let it hang naturally and then did the majority of the weld so it held a more natural position if that makes sense?

Got the car back from the transmission shop yesterday.  Rebuilt C4, after losing all forward gears.  Wow, it has more power now than in the previous 8 years I've driven it!  My 17 year old griped at me for smoking the tires as I pulled out of his work when I stopped to show him that it was working! :)

Installed new front parking brake cable, now does anyone have any idea why the foot pedal doesn't seem to be catching when I push it to the floor?

5 hours ago, Mountaineerfan said:

Got the car back from the transmission shop yesterday.  Rebuilt C4, after losing all forward gears.  Wow, it has more power now than in the previous 8 years I've driven it!  My 17 year old griped at me for smoking the tires as I pulled out of his work when I stopped to show him that it was working! :)

Installed new front parking brake cable, now does anyone have any idea why the foot pedal doesn't seem to be catching when I push it to the floor?

There are a few moving/sliding parts on the parking brake pedal that corrodes and freezes when not used for a while. I would remove the pedal and lube it. Removing it makes it easy to see the mechanism and apply lube to where it needs. The release handle spring might be broken too if the handle does not go back in after you release it.