69_Mustang

What did you do to/for your Mustang today?

Pulled the distributor, thermostat, valve covers, intake, crank pulley and water pump. The distributor was stuck pretty good in the hole and took some work to get it loose. I wanted to get the intake off and dropped off to be cleaned & checked. Pulled the original ford water pump to verify my new Milodon aluminum pump was correct internally. It looks good for having sat for almost 33 years. In fact, I'd bet it just needs some cleaning externally and would be serviceable. The bearing feels as good as my new pump. I tossed the old thermostat, it was a windsor thermostat. The reason I had overheating issues from day one, didn't know better back then. The top side of the heads look pretty good for sitting so long. Some surface rust on intake side of cylinders 1 & 2 valve train parts and rocker pedestals.

IMG_0795.JPG

IMG_0796.JPG

That #5 exhaust valve is open (spring compressed). I turned the engine over by hand a couple of months ago but haven't since tearing into it. I think I will before I tear it down further just to check valve action. I did grab all the rockers to see if any were loose and only #8 intake rocker moved a little. The #8 intake pushrod was the only one I was able to move also.

Got my intake back a couple of days ago. I'll end up painting it again as the aluminum has corrosion stains around both port flanges. I chased all the holes then threw my carb & spacer on there to see how it looks.

IMG_0800.JPG

Don't know if I ever posted in this thread as I typically start a new one with the subject.   But figured this little mod was one of those things that should maybe be here instead of it's own thread.

After who knows how many years of undoing my hood pins, popping the hood, and putting the BATTERY TENDER ALIGATOR CLIPS on the battery cables … I finally HARDWIRED a plug so I no longer have to pop the hood !!  

Took me a bit of thinking and studying before I found a stealthy spot … that you can tuck it behind the bumper when you want it completely out of sight for a show, or if your just running around town you can just cap it off and leave it hang.   As the back of the bumper edge is sharp in spots, I added 6" or so of black convoluted tubing over the wire to protect it.   I pretty much plug this car in at the end of every weekend and is probably the main reason this battery purchased in 2006 is still alive, so this certainly simplifies my routine.

My headlight relays are tucked behind the pass side headlight bucket between the inner & outer lamps so I tapped into the hot wire here with length of wire and a female spade.   Snipped the ring terminal off the B-T fused positive and swapped for a male spade.   And the factory B-T ring terminal ground was long enough to reach the headlight bucket bracket behind the high beam at the same point I pick up the ground for the relays.

Doug

B-T Charger Plug 1.JPG

B-T Charger Plug 2.JPG

B-T Charger Ground.JPG

Painted the other day, Eastwood 2k high temp ceramic engine paint. This stuff flows and has a good smooth finish. Time will tell how well it holds up. Painted my water pump, timing cover plate, timing pointer and distributor clamp also.

IMG_0801.JPG

Finally finished up the brake system. New booster, pedal bushings, master cylinder, stainless lines, prop valve, everything bled... then I installed my steering valve, cylinder, and all the goods up front. I need to torque everything, grease all the things, put the cotter pins in.. Hopefully that gets done this week.

next i need to torque everything in the suspension once its back on the ground. 

then its out with the C4 and in with the T5. 

I ordered my next round of parts from CJ Pony, cleaned up the rest of the steering linkage (torque, grease, cotter pins), and i received and admired the filler neck from stangs-R-me 

I'm hoping this weekend to fill the power steering set up and test it out, fire up the motor for a bit, install the clutch pedal and steering column, and start looking at pulling the C4. 

After fixing the prior accident damages on left rear quarter, left door, and a few common rust repairs and some panel alignment, 
I decided to take care of the old respray paint and painted to original color in base coat/clear coat.

Then decided to take care of the knocking  original 302 (due to broken piston skirt) by replacing it with an early 80s 302 I had.
Converted to manual steering using parts from one of my other cars while keeping the power steering box. Then grafted a Prius electric steering to my original column.
Had been daily driving it for the last 8 months with the original upholstery.
Decided that it is time to update the upholstery. They do not reproduce 69 Grande upholstery in nugget gold, so bought some material and made my own.

DSCF1116 35 54.jpg

IMG_0249.JPG

IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0320.JPG

IMG_0407.JPG

IMG_0415.JPG

IMG_0416.JPG

IMG_0414.JPG

IMG_0507.JPG

IMG_0511.JPG

IMG_0498.JPG

IMG_0519.JPG