69_Mustang

What did you do to/for your Mustang today?

Okay, so got that is done last night.  Welded up the FU hole, drilled new hole about 1/2” away (cutting away most of what I just welded in), and ground down the welds.  Found some screw homes I had previously missed as well.  Welded those up.  Now need to paint it again.  Also fixed the sender wire (added ring terminal since I ripped the boot off), so that is ready to go.

This morning I ran the amp turn on wire and solenoid wire back to the back for length, cut them off, soldered them to the existing wires, put them in braided sleeve, and ran them back through.  Forgot the heat gun, so they aren’t quite done, but headed back over there soon to finish that up.  I have 1 last battery tray mount hole to drill, then I can mount the battery tray and install the battery, which leads me to all kinds of new things!

Probably going to install the fuel tank next, so I can put the taillights back in, so I can put the bumper back on... then finish the radiator cooling fan wiring so I can finally put the dash back together.  New carpet has been sitting in a box... need to get that out and let it breath.

But first, a nap.

I have the power wires for the main harness, radio, and cooling fan hooked in.  I trimmed up the center trim pieces that go around the radio so that the radio will fit between them.  I installed those with the radio bracket.  I got the heater controls installed, along with the defrost duct.  And then, the piece de resistance... the gauge cluster!  I tossed the dash pad on top for... well... because its been so dang long.

IMG_0335.JPG

I still have some baby proofing to do (cover sharp edges for the alternator and starter cable over there on the passenger side), two wires left on the stereo (key on and ground), two wires left on the fan (relay on and power) and then I should be able to get things fired.

Installed the RCA cables for the amp that will drive my 6x9 speakers.  I was afraid that 25” was too long... ended up being as close to perfect as I could have hoped for.  Positioned the amp in the trunk. I think I might want to put rubber pads under the 4 corners?  Thoughts?

Finished install of the radio bezel.  Had to open the upper mounting holes up a bit, but it is in and looking good.  Got the “key on” wire finished up, still need to do the ground.

Test fit the battery.  It fits (duh).  I went with a 34/78 model because it had higher CCA and it gives me 2 battery posts.  Measured out the positive battery cable, will assemble next time.  Still not sure what to do with the negative battery cable.

Installed the front “thru panel” connector for the starter.  Marked off how much of the starter wire I want to cut off.  Need another 3/8” 4AWG ring terminal to finish that up.

installed the stainless steel radiator upper hose.  I took a stock hose that didn’t quite fit, cut out the elbows, and put a piece of straight stainless steel pipe between.  Fits like a glove.

Mostly installed the alternator.  Misplaced the bottom bolt.  Need to find that.

A6B446B0-835B-4C05-B91D-98E417F9A1DC.jpeg

1BDBB571-4894-4CD8-A6D6-FFF41B55B672.jpeg

On 10/21/2018 at 7:13 PM, Cantedvalve said:

I have the power wires for the main harness, radio, and cooling fan hooked in.  I trimmed up the center trim pieces that go around the radio so that the radio will fit between them.  I installed those with the radio bracket.  I got the heater controls installed, along with the defrost duct.  And then, the piece de resistance... the gauge cluster!  I tossed the dash pad on top for... well... because its been so dang long.

IMG_0335.JPG

I still have some baby proofing to do (cover sharp edges for the alternator and starter cable over there on the passenger side), two wires left on the stereo (key on and ground), two wires left on the fan (relay on and power) and then I should be able to get things fired.

What type of gauge cluster did you use? Looks just like the factory, but looks a tad different than mine. I'm looking to replace my entire cluster. Most if not all of the gauges done work. I found that once switching to an MSD it causes the tach to stop working. Does anyone know a simple fix? 

Cantedvalve, not sure if you're working on a 69 or 70. I just joined. If you're building a 69 I would highly consider buying the 69 to 70 window conversion. After reglueing my windows in my 69 about 5 times within a couple of years I found there's a 70 conversion. The 70 windows are bolt on as apposed to the 69 glue in trays. That goes for everyone with a 69 as well. It's expensive, but well worth the trouble and mess. 

@Rich Ackermann  Nice work!  Going for a more original theme there. Exceptional job on those sail panels. 

Me, not going so original. I just finished modifying a 1965 fold down seat set to work in my 1970. Got the fixed panel done tonight. Had the seat back panel done the other day. Just have the curved front panel to finish, which is just gluing the carpet back on and installing the trim.  I’ll hve pictures tomorrow

2 hours ago, Cantedvalve said:

@Rich Ackermann  Nice work!  Going for a more original theme there. Exceptional job on those sail panels. 

Me, not going so original. I just finished modifying a 1965 fold down seat set to work in my 1970. Got the fixed panel done tonight. Had the seat back panel done the other day. Just have the curved front panel to finish, which is just gluing the carpet back on and installing the trim.  I’ll hve pictures tomorrow

Going "mostly" original with the interior and exterior in appearance, but plan to upgrade the suspension, engine, and drivetrain as I mentioned in my Project Progress Forum thread below.... today I finished repairing the interior quarter panels which had some cracks and big nasty looking speaker holes. Also finished up on the Mach 1 rocker moldings. They needed stud repair and bright-work dent repair. Painted them a dark charcoal gray rather than the stock dark argent. We will see if my stud repair method holds once I install them.

20180801_203343-1x.thumb.jpg.63cfe1f26f971a8dc13d7c831168f828.jpg1069442497_20180720_094432repair.thumb.jpg.b4fb7c279c2fb5ba202eed0be99c7607.jpg

20180726_214416-1-2.thumb.jpg.b2e484051eb2f321db9f1969ec88e81e.jpg

Happy new year...on the 1st got to rearranged the shop for my wife's truck to fit for repairs...had fun starting most of my mustangs to make room...of course they fought me but I won and drove 3 of them in and out of the garage....I have neighbors that haven't ever seen two of them...well looks like I need to spend more time repairing or thinning the herd..

Proud of myself this week.

• restabbed the distributor one notch over and reset timing
  • fixed the headlight installation for all four lights
  • removed the old rear axle brake lines (this took the longest)
  • started on the rear leaf springs and shocks
  • Fixed my jack's bad wheel bearings