69_Mustang

What did you do to/for your Mustang today?

Did you need to notch the sail panels to get around the brackets for the quarter trim panel?  Mine seem to interfere.  Rich said I might need to do that... I’d feel better that I didn’t misfit things if someone else had to do it as well.

Okay, it needed way more than notching.  Holy smokes, I spent all morning on just the passenger side (and not yet done).  I get the need to be a bit liberal with the dimensions, but that was a lot of cutting.  Can’t seem to get the windlace over the part where the headliner and sail panel overlap.  I thinned out the sail panel in that spot (had to trim back the velcro), and that helped.  I’m not a big fan of the Velcro.  I see why it was used, but it isn’t holding together like I had hoped.  I may put a screw or two through the joint after I get everything finalized.

is there supposed to be a spacer between the hockey stick and the mounting bracket?  I’m  afraid I might over tighten it and crack the aged fiberglass.  I think I might make a spacer just to be sure.

Sorry, I missed your trimming questions. I put the sail panel install in the parking lot as I wanted to get the car drivable. I had to only trim the area at the upper door glass and rear glass ~1". Despite the price, this headliner is the only way to go. 

Price included, it is the only way to go.  I took a break from it for the night to do some other things.

I did some wiring work tonight.  Put the loom on the wiring that goes down to the transmission and the shifter.  Cleaned it up with brake cleaner first.  Funny thing... brake cleaner takes the stripes off the wire.  Also started lengthening the solenoid signal wire.  Had a burnt section (midlife might remember this... it fused to the brown wire to the ignition, and kept the car from shutting off... and midlife actually checked my shorts), so I cut that out and started splicing in new red/blue stripe wire.  I had cut the harness wrap off around the fuse box so I could find the hot wire for my ignition.... rewrapped that and put the fuse box back.  

Tomorrow I will string the solenoid signal wire back to the trunk.  I am routing those three wires (alternator, starter, solenoid) down the passenger rocker.  Still not sure how I am going to get the starter wire to the starter.

8 hours ago, Cantedvalve said:

Price included, it is the only way to go.  I took a break from it for the night to do some other things.

I did some wiring work tonight.  Put the loom on the wiring that goes down to the transmission and the shifter.  Cleaned it up with brake cleaner first.  Funny thing... brake cleaner takes the stripes off the wire.  Also started lengthening the solenoid signal wire.  Had a burnt section (midlife might remember this... it fused to the brown wire to the ignition, and kept the car from shutting off... and midlife actually checked my shorts), so I cut that out and started splicing in new red/blue stripe wire.  I had cut the harness wrap off around the fuse box so I could find the hot wire for my ignition.... rewrapped that and put the fuse box back.  

Tomorrow I will string the solenoid signal wire back to the trunk.  I am routing those three wires (alternator, starter, solenoid) down the passenger rocker.  Still not sure how I am going to get the starter wire to the starter.

That must have been from a long time ago...before I started my business, no?

Had the day off yesterday, so my son and I spent the day getting the car on the road!  This is the vert that we just received back from the paint shop, and so have been putting it back together.  Today we installed 4 new KYB Gas-A-Just shocks.  Got them from Rock Auto.  As we were installing the first front shock, one of the mounting studs on the bottom snapped off!!  So we called around to three different shops in our area and found Pep Boys had one in stock.  It was more than twice what I paid for one on Rock Auto, but we had to get it.  Expensive lesson.  We then installed the seats, center console, and steering wheel.  We haven't put the interior quarter panels in yet or the door panels, as we are still working on those.  Once all of that was finished, we hit the road!  Man, did it feel good to drive her again after a year of being painted! 

The shocks did AMAZING!  The car has a lot more pickup (I barked the tires several times, which it was unable to do before!), and is SMOOOOTH!  No more holding on for dear life when turning or going over bumps!

I'm attaching a few pics my son took.  We still have work to do, but yesterday was a great day!

Cruising.jpg

Steering wheel.jpg

lightscameraaction.jpg

I had a dinner with my parents, sister, and cousin tonight.  I didn't get to do much... BUT... I did do one thing before I left.  I masked off and painted one of the repop taillight bezels I had lying around.  I like the darker color!

taillight1.jpg

taillight2.jpg

taillight3.jpg

taillight4.jpg

Finished modifying the battery tray.  Added a panel to the back corner where the solenoid will mount. Also will mount the other end of the “safe zone” fuse there as well. Picture is post-weld (best welding I’ve ever done) and positioned roughly where it will go.

955229CC-511B-4ADC-8AA5-733512A730D2.jpeg

So I figured out today that the bottom of the battery tray bracket was covering the backup light harness hole.  Also, the mounting holes in the tray itself were too close to the drop off.  So I shortened the bracket, which also moved the tray towards the center.  Now everything is in the right place.  Made a reinforcement plate for the vertical bolts (kinda like the one you can get for the front), and after repainting it, it will be good to install.  Hopefully by Sunday I will be able to put the battery in and finish the starter wire.

Also got a polished piece of 1.5” stainless for the upper radiator hose on my son’s recommendation.

Well... me and the boy test fit the battery tray today... I think it went well.  You can see the solenoid posts peeking out from behind the added plate (and the carriage bolts holding it on).  I’d like to get some pinch molding for the edge of that plate to dress it up a bit.  Drilled the holes in the trunk floor and bolted up the top portion with the support bracket.  Still need to drill out the holes in the drop off for the bottom mounting points.

Also got the bulkhead connector installed on the firewall. Found some rot in the floors, but not going to mess with it right now.  Cut the solenoid to firewall cable so I can put a lug on it tomorrow.  Decided to get a second bulkhead connector for the inner fender.  Will order that after done here... now!

825E6C38-28CF-4D5E-A224-79ADF5E58BCF.jpeg

Also took out the rear marker lamps, cleaned them up, and painted the silver to my carbon mist color to match the taillights.  The chrome isn’t all that great on the bezels, but I’m not in the mood to buy new ones just yet.  Also pulled the bumper to work on it at home - cleaning and coating the inside.  Got the old taillight bezels out, and hopefully I can start doing fuel lines soon.

So here are some (bad) shots of the taillights and the rear marker lights. The taillights are repops.  The markers are the originals, so the chrome isn’t that great, but I am not in the mood to buy new ones.  The silver portions have been painted a darker gray metallic.

IMG_0323.JPG

IMG_0322.JPG

Last night I finished off the "solenoid to firewall cable" and made the "firewall to inner fender" cable. I am going to use the stock starter cable from that point (probably have to shorten it a bit), but that will top off my starter circuit.  

I also picked up my new battery - went with a 34/78 so I would have a place to pull the solenoid from and a place for the alternator.  I also got the mega fuse installed on the battery tray (took it back out obviously), got the alternator belt from the local parts store.

Tonight, 1) get the solenoid trigger wire installed, 2) get the battery cables made and installed, 3) get the amplifier trigger wire strung, 4) get the battery tray reinstalled, 5) get the fan wiring done (just need to string 2 wires), and 6) install the gauge cluster (again again again).

TIFU (today I f****** up) by cutting a hole for the pass-thru terminal in the inner fender too close to the shock tower flange, and thought “eh, it will be fine.”  Then I tried to install the terminal... and stripped the threads off the terminal.  Now I have to weld the hole up and get another terminal...

31167987-2030-444C-B790-3447A2749A37.jpeg.da64133bff49192bd924548ed2549ca2.jpeg