69_Mustang

What did you do to/for your Mustang today?

14 minutes ago, RPM said:

Not if you read Cantedvalve's post above mine. C'mon Mal!

RPM:

Your pH comment went well above my head...care to explain?  If not, I can arrange for an arrival of a bunch of shorts for you...

3 hours ago, rwcstang said:

Bought me a Daniel Carpenter Hoodlip lets hope its a good fit. 

Would you mind sharing where you got it? Maybe a link if possible? 

My 1969 Coupe has zero front trim/moulding so I have to find all of it.

3 hours ago, Midlife said:

RPM:

Your pH comment went well above my head...care to explain?  If not, I can arrange for an arrival of a bunch of shorts for you...

OK...CV made note that while applying bed lined to the exterior of his gas tank, a few bugs got into the finish. It sounded to me like he was a bit disappointed about the not perfect finish. I merely pointed out that when bugs are added to the bedliner, it corrects the ph level for a hard durable finish. I thought everyone knew this Cliff Claven factoid. I was being facetious guys. It was gibberish, I made it up.

Where are my shorts Randy?

Stay off my lawn!

1 hour ago, RPM said:

OK...CV made note that while applying bed lined to the exterior of his gas tank, a few bugs got into the finish. It sounded to me like he was a bit disappointed about the not perfect finish. I merely pointed out that when bugs are added to the bedliner, it corrects the ph level for a hard durable finish. I thought everyone knew this Cliff Claven factoid. I was being facetious guys. It was gibberish, I made it up.

Where are my shorts Randy?

Stay off my lawn!

That clears it up.....was on the previous page.

4 hours ago, Flash69 said:

Would you mind sharing where you got it? Maybe a link if possible? 

My 1969 Coupe has zero front trim/moulding so I have to find all of it.

@Flash69 I purchased the Hood lip molding through NPDlink, they have a warehouse in CA so they had it stock. I actually gave them a call to confirm this was a Daniel Carpenter Part I was getting. They have the other lip moldings, but they are not Ford Tooling and are asian repops, so the metal is quite thin and can cause bending issues if you are not careful. If anything I'd advise restoring your originals ones (If you have it) or finding a set a used ones from ebay or craigslist. 

5 hours ago, Midlife said:

You explained it, so no shorts coming your way.  And I'm standing on the sidewalk, although the dog may be doing his business on your grass...

And right there you can use the phrase that the dog is correcting the ph level of the lawn.

You guys have issues...

I put new loom on the trunk harness for the lights.  Fixed a cut in one of the wires I made when cutting off the old, dirty, moldy loom.  Found a broken ground wire on the taillight socket, fixed that... cleaned the trunk floor and sprayed it with bedliner.  Started routing the starter and alternator cables... not sure how I want to do that yet.  Anyone got a Boss 429 routing guide?

I did find something today that I thought was interesting.  Someone out there took a STOCK battery tray, and mounted it on the dropoff on the right side.  So not only do they use the parts they have, they also use some dead space.  I dont think I will mount the solenoid the same way, but it does look interesting.  Here is a link:

http://fyi.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=911

Safety... i dunno.  I mean, if the car gets hit in that spot, its going to be a problem regardless of the battery.  Even with the Boss 429 mounting, the battery was not inside the frame rail, so it isnt going to be any worse than that (I know, but today's standards...).

So yeah... new battery tray on order from NPD.  We are gonna give this a go.  I HAD planned to use a Moroso sealed plastic box... but I like this idea better.

Anyone need a Moroso battery box? :)

Oooo... Shiny!

So important to clean those. I remember when I was replacing door glass... somehow the old window broke.  I left a chip of glass too close to the bolt... tightened down the nut... kaboom!  another broken window.

Got the old insulation cleaned off the roof, put up the new insulation, and test fit the headliner.  Also did the taped up template to see where the holes will need to be after the headliner is installed.  We should finish that tomorrow.

Also modified the radiator bracket again so it sits lower to the radiator.  its done now.  Just needs paint

Also started on the trunk battery tray.  Got some square nuts, stripped the zinc, and welded them to the holes where the j nuts were.  Now I gotta do some fitment... probably have to modify the bottom of the bracket.  Probably need to put in a relief slot for the backup light cable.

Good progress.

So its not all sunshine and lollipops.  I had an issue today with the headliner.  I had it 95% complete... under the rear seal, windlace on the driver side, windlace on the passenger side up until this...

IMG_0286.thumb.JPG.661ecb3b39672faea8ddb2848b5f94bc.JPG

Its that last 2 inches I cannot persuade to line up (hehe... dick joke here).  All the brute force my son and I could muster just wasnt enough to make this piece line up.  I think I am confident that the rest of it lines up well.  Just this little part.  Of course, that means the windlace wont go on.  Anyone have any tips?

The visor holes I drilled after it was installed. They are very small, just to locate the holes. The hole in the piece on the A pillar I put in while trying to get the headliner in.  I drilled the visor after I had it installed, not realizing the windlace wasn’t fully engaged.

Rich over at MustangsToFear.com has come back to me with the answer... due to some inevitable degree of variation in these cars, some trimming is to be expected.  I am SO glad to hear that.  As far as the amount of trimming needed, we are talking about 2-3 inches in my case.  These headliners are extremely well made and attractive.  If you dont have one, you NEED one.  GET ONE NOW!!