69_Mustang

What did you do to/for your Mustang today?

Last night I completed my first foray into working on a transmission. My FMX has been leaking like a siv. Well it was definitely more complex than I'd bargained for. No worries. Also decided to install a shift kit which a friend told was 'no problem'. Not too sure about that. Job took much longer than expected but I now have new seals throughout the box and am looking forward to a clean garage floor. 

That is if the thing works right when I finally get everything put back together.

5a8eb89d00083_2018-02-1714_12_27.thumb.jpg.86a818dfb06e3f333198c748a3fc5794.jpg

2018-02-17 17.01.51.jpg

2018-02-17 17.02.07.jpg

While I have use of the lift i'm also installing a Borgeson steering box, new fuel pump, transmission cooler, and having the exhaust reworked to reduce drone and sit higher in the body.

2018-02-17 10.23.54.jpg

WELL after getting away with it for far to many times in my life............ I lost in the game of re using head gaskets....

There not really hard to change out......After the fact.....But the fact I have new ones that I ordered at the speed shop just 4  mile down the road and was to impatient to get.

Makes it just that much more stupid ..............It gave me something to do on a rainy feb.day in NH...

Its an old mustang there are at least 10000 more things that I could be doing......

_DSC5816.JPG

forget all that crap......After the issue I had three years ago with an intake washer that trashed the block and head I keep track of all washers and nuts.

but not so much with razor blades.....bad idea!!!     NO.6 cil.eat one.    bore looks not good and piston not much happier..

summer over before it began..................................  

_DSC5827.JPG

18 hours ago, mymachone said:

Installed Saginaw steering pump for new Borgeson power steering system.  Also installed relay to reduce voltage draw from lights , prepairing for Pa Roadrally in June.

I just installed the Borgeson box using the stock power steering pump. It seems the pump struggles to provide the optimum pressure when at idle. Also the steering wheel feels grainy or jittery. Have you found that this Saginaw pump cures this? Was it a straight bolt in replacement?

2 hours ago, copb8 said:

I just installed the Borgeson box using the stock power steering pump. It seems the pump struggles to provide the optimum pressure when at idle. Also the steering wheel feels grainy or jittery. Have you found that this Saginaw pump cures this? Was it a straight bolt in replacement?

I haven't install the box yet , I wanted to get the pump installed asi had some spare time yesterday.   But I have heard the system works flawless with the Saginaw pump ,opposed to fords pump.

11 minutes ago, mymachone said:

I haven't install the box yet , I wanted to get the pump installed asi had some spare time yesterday.   But I have heard the system works flawless with the Saginaw pump ,opposed to fords pump.

Yes, it has very good power assist with the Saginaw pump.  The Saginaw pump is very quite as well.

15 hours ago, 1969_Mach1 said:

Yes, it has very good power assist with the Saginaw pump.  The Saginaw pump is very quite as well.

I took my old power steering out yrs ago . Then after being single for awhile I remarried , gave the car to my wife as a wedding gift , she would'nt drive it because of no PWS .  She said to me the other day , I sure would like to drive MY car .  So PWS going back in but just a better system.

I had a good thing going , her car but I always got to drive it .

On February 22, 2018 at 7:40 AM, copb8 said:

While I have use of the lift i'm also installing a Borgeson steering box, new fuel pump, transmission cooler, and having the exhaust reworked to reduce drone and sit higher in the body.

2018-02-17 10.23.54.jpg

I have no lift myself but a friend of mine lets Meuse his .  I don't like abusing a privelage , so I try to have a bunch of things to when  I tie up his garage for a couple of day's 

This spring  we are going on a 2000 mile trip / road rally , so I have sevearleral things to get done.

New front brake pads, rear brake shoes , turn drums , new PWS system , adjust emergency brake cable , detail the rear axle , new back up light switch , new led's lights in parking , turn signal . Look for lode parts , nuts etc.. Prepairing for summer Is an every year thing but. I love it .

Bye the way Sharp car !

11 hours ago, Thin Lizzy said:

Engine bay on my 69 was looking tired, so time for an upgrade.

38646751715_f2d81534c7_b.jpg

Restored the shock tower panels and fitted new rockers, air cleaner and an import brace.

I'll be keeping the original braces and rockers for originality.

41093879002_12bbb40337_b.jpg

Looks great.  

On 2/22/2018 at 8:35 PM, copb8 said:

Last night I completed my first foray into working on a transmission. My FMX has been leaking like a siv. Well it was definitely more complex than I'd bargained for. No worries. Also decided to install a shift kit which a friend told was 'no problem'. Not too sure about that. Job took much longer than expected but I now have new seals throughout the box and am looking forward to a clean garage floor. 

That is if the thing works right when I finally get everything put back together.

2018-02-17 17.01.51.jpg

2018-02-17 17.02.07.jpg

Good to see you had a go yourself. I hope it works out for you. 

On 2/22/2018 at 7:35 AM, copb8 said:

2018-02-17 17.01.51.jpg

2018-02-17 17.02.07.jpg

My FMX has had a leak at the shift for years now that two different shops couldn't fix. Hope yours works out. Future plans for me are are 4R70W.

On 5/20/2018 at 12:58 PM, Mach1 Driver said:

My FMX has had a leak at the shift for years now that two different shops couldn't fix. Hope yours works out. Future plans for me are are 4R70W.

So far the new seals are holding up perfectly. There has to be more to your leaks than simple seals because the work I did around the shifter shaft wasn't very complex to replace.

Working on putting a Unisteer R&P in.  Unfortunately the box is missing some parts and has some of the wrong parts.  So I get to call them tomorrow and see what can be done.  Also replaced the motor mounts because they looked suspect.

Took the car out for a drive on Sunday, it was really hot day which overheated my External Holley electric fuel pump. I had to pull to side the and wait for it to cool down. Really starting to get me thinking on going EFI and going with an intank fuel pump. 

On 6/4/2018 at 3:29 PM, rwcstang said:

Took the car out for a drive on Sunday, it was really hot day which overheated my External Holley electric fuel pump. I had to pull to side the and wait for it to cool down. Really starting to get me thinking on going EFI and going with an intank fuel pump. 

That was the same issues I was having with the NC summer heat.  Would eventually vapor lock on me.  Would have to wait for everything to cool down, then would run again.  I upgraded to an Aeromotive In-Tank set up over the winter and so far running good.  Haven't tested it it super hot weather yet, but so far done good in the 80's.