69_Mustang

What did you do to/for your Mustang today?

Yesterday I rolled it out of the garage so I could take a pic of how it currently looks & sweep out the garage.

Beautiful.  We can see all of the work on the front end (and the unbearable lightness in the front end without the engine!).

Looks like mine a few years back.  Just keep pressing ahead, it's really, really worth it when it hits the road again.

Finished up the Ground effects on my buddies 68FB and sand blasted door jams, front and rear window channel and trunk channel to remove rust and old sealer... Hoping to put the whole car in Epoxy primer tonight :)

No progress on my 66 Coupe, but did change the Roller lifters in my 408 from the link bar lifters to standard spyder retainer due to excessive noise

So today....  I took her out for the FIRST totally legal, all insured (thanks Hagerty), fully registered, with a refreshed title.....

... DRIVE.  for the first time in something like 26 years!

This car was in garage storage for many years, but always well kept, and today she finally went for that first real day out.  My dad got her for me in 1980, when I was in high school, and I drove her until about 1990 (ish).  Today, she is back out in the sunlight, and doing what she was meant to do.

It takes a long time when you do the rebuild like I did - just totally gut everything and redo all the systems - but man when it gets done, it sure feels good.  To all you guys out there - in mid-project - keep the faith.... that day will finally come for you, like it did for me.

Here are some pictures from the big drive today - once I crossed all the t's and dotted all the i's with the paper work:

post-14729-0-55834700-1485234260.jpg

post-14729-0-59031600-1485234328.jpg

post-14729-0-31547300-1485234384.jpg

Some short video clips are on-line here:

https://vimeo.com/album/4373212/video/200778219

https://vimeo.com/album/4373212/video/200778261

https://vimeo.com/album/4373212/video/200778288

Big kudos! How many smiles did you end up driving, and did you have any issues? Are you in Virginia?

Lots more smiles than miles for sure!  About 8mi to work and another 8 back, flawless performance so far.  A few workmanship rattles to work out (but not much!)  

I'm actually in the sweltering gulf coast state of Texas (Houston area), at the Johnson Space Center.  We love our "machines from the 1960's" down here!

Anyway- ton's of fun to make that too-long-in-coming drive.  Came back with it on Tues, but left her home today, after a morning spin, due to rain. 

Jay

So today....  I took her out for the FIRST totally legal, all insured (thanks Hagerty), fully registered, with a refreshed title.....

... DRIVE.  for the first time in something like 26 years!

This car was in garage storage for many years, but always well kept, and today she finally went for that first real day out.  My dad got her for me in 1980, when I was in high school, and I drove her until about 1990 (ish).  Today, she is back out in the sunlight, and doing what she was meant to do.

It takes a long time when you do the rebuild like I did - just totally gut everything and redo all the systems - but man when it gets done, it sure feels good.  To all you guys out there - in mid-project - keep the faith.... that day will finally come for you, like it did for me.

That's got to be an awesome feeling and what an accomplishment! Thanks for the encouraging words too! And, did I tell you that's a gorgeous coupe...lol! 

Houston??? I googled where the Space Shuttles were located and Houston wasn't on the list, not that they don't deserve one. Glad you had a great first drive.

Well, Houston is in a red state. Blue state President got to decide where the real shuttles went (yeah sure I know they had a "committee" decide... right)

So, Houston got this used mockup from Florida after they got Atlantis.

But I'll tell you what, Boeing and the Space Center Houston folks here that put this display up did a damn fine job. And that is at least a real Shuttle Carrier Aircraft it sits on. Good Display, and looks like it would all fit right on the back side of my coupe doesn't it?

Refurbished my passenger side dash panel.

Did the paint job as described by CaseyRhe

Then the wood grain vinyl as instructed by Thatblue69-Mach1

Came out great, if old fart like myself can do it anyone can.

I learn so much from this site

Thanks guys.

P1000983_zpsqulvwvjs.jpg

Refurbished my passenger side dash panel.

Did the paint job as described by CaseyRhe

Then the wood grain vinyl as instructed by Thatblue69-Mach1

Came out great, if old fart like myself can do it anyone can.

I learn so much from this site

Thanks guys.

P1000983_zpsqulvwvjs.jpg

Can you post links of CaseyRhe & Thatblue69-Mach1 ? Thanks and great job !

Pulled out both air vents and was expecting at least on the drivers side to be rusted out but was happy to see just surface rust in spots. The cowl passed the water test and appears to be in good shape. The drivers firewall around the dimmer switch is rotted out and I knew this. So need to check if there is a reason for this, so all this made for a good day.   

I sold my Mach and bought a older F100... Does that count?

Depends on what year and what you plan on doing to it.  I bought my 9 year old son (8 when I bought it) a 65 C10 short bed.  A local guy has 6 trucks and a 65 Mustang coupe for sale.  The one truck was 53 chevy.  Boy loved it.  So I am looking for a early 50s F1 to put a 4.6 in for him. I tried to buy the 53 chevy and the 65 coupe in a package deal.  He kept saying they ran when parked, but couldn't remember when that was and priced them as running.  Even though the radiator for the 65 was in the front floorboard.  I have a 63 F100 stepside I may sell.  I bought it wife claimed it.  Wouldn't let me rip the 223 6 out.   Now she wants to sell it and buy 65 or 66 mustang coupe.