69_Mustang

What did you do to/for your Mustang today?

Replaced a leaking wheel cylinder, replaced a leaking tranny pan gasket and finished scrubbing the underside with citrus cleaner and a scotch brite pad. Oh, then I ordered a pertronix I and flame thrower coil.

Not today but yesterday...

Took mine out for a small meeting of local MOCGB (Mustang Owners Club GB) members at a well known scenic area to the south west of London. The hils you see are about as hilly as we get here in the south of England, 750' above sea level is the high point not far away...

Intriguingly one of the 4 classics was another S Code, given the small percentage of total production that's a rare chance...

Nearly didn't make it as my VR decided to go tech on me, but luckily I found a modern electronic version here in the UK, so fitting that was Saturday mornings 2 minute job.

It's also got it's yearly roadworthiness check (known here as the MOT) due soon so it's time to give it a once over.

IMG_6661.jpg

Nothing like opening a bonnet, sorry, hood to get an audience quickly!

IMG_6662.jpg

IMG_6654.jpg

We were far from being alone - Newlands Corner is a well known haunt for walkers, cyclists bikers and car nuts - as we were leaving a group of Alvis' (Alvii?) showed up

IMG_6653.jpg

The other S Code

IMG_6658.jpg

IMG_6659.jpg

After putting on the 4 link rear suspension and the power rack and pinion from TCP, (with new steering pump and the Ididit tilt column), on Friday I got http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/fcoc-fd.html to install when it get a little warmer out. That will finish the complete suspension upgrade. OMG ... all those goodies were expensive!!

Not today, a couple days ago.....

Got the car fired up on the newly rebuilt 331.  Pulling the distributor tonight to have the advance curve checked tomorrow and then setting the timing.

Cleaned the garage to make room to do more body work/final filler (only a couple spots) and block/prime/wetsand.

Strict on appearance in what way? like no rust buckets? lol

Yes. If you have a flat tire they give you 24hr notice and then tow your car. Very strict on "non-operational" vehicles. I figured if it looked a bit more uniform they might not tow it or stick a million of those notice stickers on my windows. Ha. You can't work on your car either :( But we only signed a 6month lease to get to know the area. Already told my girlfriend I'll be spending the next 5 months in the walmart parking lot working on my car. :P She still thinks I am kidding.

Moving to Savannah, GA. 

I picked up the new rear end gears - went from open 2.73 to limited slip 3.80, and the axles with new bearings, and I picked up a full suspension/steering kit from Laurel Mountain Mustang, and spent a few hours cleaning the underbody for paint. 
hopefully by the end of the summer I'll have new suspension, steering, brake lines, fuel line, axle and paint all finished up. 

then maybe over the fall i can start on the body... 

Installed 65-66 Rear Axle Housing, Swapped from 3.25 to 3.73 gears, Added Rear Disc Brakes, Installed new tires and Rims, Installed New FPA headers and Rebuilt the entire Exhaust system.... How's that for a Thurs, Fri, & Sunday Night's Work.

Very nice. At my current pace that would take me 37 years to accomplish.

Bought New Driveshaft only to find out the Slip Yolk was wrong.

Shimmed up transmission and rear end to correct driveline angles and reinstalled the old shaft and seemed to run smoother.

Run down of work Since Jan.

#1. New Ridge Hood

#2 Paint Hood and stripes

#3. Purchased and Installed new FPA Headers

#4. Reworked Exhaust

#5. Recovered and installed Fiero Seats

#6. Installed New 65-66 9" Housing

#7. Gear Swap from 3.25 to 3.73

#8. New Axles

#9. Purchased and Installed Rear Disc Brake Kit

#10. New Carb

#11. New Driveshaft and Driveline angle work

#12. Built Custom Center Console and installed 7" Touch Screen Stereo & Powered Tube

#13. Cut Front Springs and Installed Cal-Tracs on the Rear

Up-Coming Work

#1. New Torque Converter, and Tail Shaft Housing with Force Lube Mod.

#2. Hood Pins for New Ridge hood

#3. Possibly either Fuel injection or Coil Overs up front

spoke with owner of the body shop yesterday, car was sitting there longer than usual almost half complete. Owner assured me it will be done by early November. (Crossing fingers)

looking into a new steering wheel, the one i currently have is too small (seems like it was ment for the 65-66 models since they have a smaller cabin). 

any recommendations?