69_Mustang

What did you do to/for your Mustang today?

I thought I'd posted this last weekend, but...

Got the bay primed and fab'd a good bit of the shocktower reinforcement kit. I'm fab'ing a poorman's version with nothing more than a cheap cutoff wheel, a bench vice, a claw hammer, and $25 worth of steel plate. Definitely wish I had better tools... or at least a proper BFH. Anyway, a couple pics:

These showed up today... KYB GAS fronts, Excel-G rears (same as old GR2s). They're a stop-gap until I can afford better (and can decide on what I really want), but for $100 shipped to the door, and the $40 rebate from KYB, they were at least a really cheap stop-gap.

Actually, I do plan on auto-x'ing it semi-regularly. In fact, my original goal was to have it roadworthy enough for the Goodguys show in Kissimmee Florida in a couple weeks just so I could do the auto-x. Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to be done enough in time, but I'd rather do stuff correctly than rush just to meet some short term goal. But who knows, maybe if stuff goes well tomorrow, I might have it done enough yet to go on Apr. 26-27.

Went to fire up the Old Girl yesterday after it had been sitting all winter. Battery had been connected to a Trickle Charger, so I thought it would be okay. Instead it was stone dead. Connected it to my regular Charger and it wouldn't hold a charge. Battery was just over 7 years old, so I decided it had seen better days and bought a new one. Installed it and the Old Girl fired right up. Took her out for a drive today and she ran great. I'm looking forward to the local Cruise Ins.

Pulled off the upper quarter panel emblems and switched them side to side - now the horses are facing forward!

Then took her out for a 50 mile spin and she broke down 1 mile from getting home. Got it started and made it the rest of the way home.

Got most of the tower reinforcements welded in today... Kinda sucked because initially we ran out of shielding gas, then wire, and the near 30 year old Craftsman welder was finicky and we had to keep adjusting the settings, and then my carpal tunnel was causing my fingers to go numb, and my brother/helper had injured his foot, and ... Well, you get the point. The welds ain't pretty, but the towers are now more solid than ever. Pics tomorrow.

No thread on making them, just bought some steel plate, cut it with a cheap cut-off wheel and hammered 'em into shape with a bench vise and claw hammer. I really only did the wrap-arounds and the corner L's and some small tie plates for the base of the face of the towers. Here is a pic of the mostly finished set (again):