Sign in to follow this  
Chelby-Ann

Rear Valance

So I am getting ready to put my reproduction rear valance on. I have all of the mounting hardware. There is a space/gap at the ends of the valance where they meet up with the fender. I know that this common. I am thinking of welding the ends to the fender to give it a nice smooth look. Would there be any reason that I may have overlooked that may stop me from doing so. Has anyone done this? Any regrets? Happy with the results. Thanks

if you have several other mods like that on your car and it has a different feel than stock looking, then i would think it was intentional and a method of trying to go a little more seamless looking on the car. this i can appreciate.

if you are building a basically stock looking car, then as a spectator i would wonder if you were clueless in your bodywork, lazy or trying to hide a problem.

I welded mine together because I'm like you. Hate that gap!! The only reason I can figure not to, is if some arse hits you in the rear you'll have to cut everything apart, but that's what Hagerty is for. :001_tongue:

Leaf springs can come out easily without having to remove the valance..

[ATTACH]12566[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]12567[/ATTACH]

I too would weld the ends of the valance- grind, then paint/install. I wouldn't weld to the qtrs- you might end up warping something, blowing a hole in a qtr, but also would make a later repair signficantly more difficult. Remember even new the gap was there (and sometimes nappy looking NEW)

Did you replace your qtrs. If not I would try another valance - they are not all created equal. On my 1966 I ended up getting 2 of them. the 1st did not fit well - big gaps. The other was marketed by one of the mustang suppliers as a better quality (NPD?). Fit much better.

If you changed out your qtrs and did not line up with valance first - could possibily be off a ittle causing the gap. I'm glad I did not weld up. Backed up over a bush and dented it and had to order another one.

Another way I heard people have delt with this is split down middle and weld in a little section in between to spread out a little more.