Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

How many Gallons of Paint will I need?

Its a 1969 Fastback, I will be painting the entire car, all weather stripping is off and windows/interior out, so I'll be painting door jambs, underside of the hood and inside of the trunk. I'm doing the hood, tail panel, trunk lid and headlight buckets in Hot Rod Black sort a like the Boss 302. The rest of the car will be painted in a PPG Deltron 2 stage paint.

How many gallons will I need for the base, clear (at least 2 coats) and Hot Rod Black.

Thanks to all!

I'm no paint expert like some are here but I would think you want at least 2 gallons for the base color, 1.5 is probably enough but it is always a good idea to have some extra for mistakes/accidents/repairs. It really depends though on what kind of paint job you are doing. Is it just a scuff and shoot? Will all the panels be the same color before you start? If yes is it a simillar color/shade to the new paint? or fresh primer all over? A lot of that dictates just how many coats of paint you need to make it an even finished color. For example, if it was a red car and you are just shooting a new red over it you don't need as much, if you primer it all first you can add tint to the primer so you need less top coats etc...

Thanks, all good advise.

I was going to buy 2 galllons of paint off a supplier on eBay. It's PPG Deltron, Chrysler PRP Deep Cherry Red, 2 stage paint for close to $300 including shipping. The seller has 1931 feedbacks @ 100%.

I was wondering if 2 gallons were enough. How about HotRod Black, maybe 2 quarts??? I don't know and what about the clear, the same amout as the base color and is there different types of clear available.

1gal of clear is enough for 4 coats with a little left over usally 3 coats is good enough to cover a car.. so 1.5 quarts left over is enough for jams trunk and under hood .. just buy 1 gal and quart also...

Also remember if the bace is mixed with reducer..it adds to the total amount of paint if you buy a gallon you end up with 2 gals.... as for hod rod black 1 should be good but 2 wont hurt...

I painted my convertable and bought a gallon...had a little over 1/2 gal left over..of base..anyone need some colorado red???

painted car in steps so i wasted alot of clear...........

Edited by 1969vert

Deltron is a good product, I painted my corvette with it years ago. The basecoat was thick stuff and reduced down, I don't think I used even half a gallon of it. It went a long way.

Edited by miketyler

1969vert: I will be buying a gallon that is not reduced, so I'll end up with 2 gallons. When you say hotrod black 1 would be good, but 2 wont hurt are you saying that in gallon size or quart. I would assume quart, but Im just checking.

As for clear, is there any particular brand or type better than another.

The rule of thumb is to use the same manufacturer. So if you are using PPG base then use PPG clear. However, some people swear by one brand - regardless of the base. Best to ask whomever is shooting your car. They may have a favorite.

Wont be for a little while, right now Im trying to get everything lined up.

I`ll let ya know about the Hotrod black or if you do it first let us know. Im gonna put a thread up here to see what the preference is for Hotrod Black vs. Original matt black.

as for hot rod black check the manufacture for catalyst and reducer with the product...some are ready to shoot out of the can...you will probably only need 1/2 gal total for hot rod black to shoot those surfaces.. the black covers well...2 to three coats all u need...but it dont hurt to have a little left over for touchups ... all im saying dont wind up with 2 gals when you only need one...as for clearcoat I like naison but have sprayed ppg and others with good results....It is all up to what you are use to spraying and a good gun...