Sign in to follow this  
miketyler

70 sport lamp switch

I bought a sport lamp switch off of eBay as my switch I thought I had fixed got flaky on me. However, this one I just bought feels about like my other one. Is very soft and doesnt have a detent going from off to the on positon that you can feel. The switch also only works about half the time and I am planning to return it and probably go with one of the new repops. Did these original units have a distinct detent when they were new? Any comments on the quality of the new repop switches?

Hello miketyler,

I too tried to "fix' my original switch. DId not work great.

The original switch DOES have distinct clicks when moved.

I ended up with a repop from MU and it works GREAT.

Just my experience

Print Dad

Great,thanks. Because both my old one and this replacement had a soft action I wasn't sure if all of these came that way. It wasn't that long ago that originals were bringing $100-150ea! Am glad the repos are available.

Here you go. It looks pretty good. The front face of the fob has a little bolder bezel than the original. The action is soft but does detent good and I think will stay in on position while driving. Other originals I have seen seem to lose the detent and wont stay in the on position at all.

Nice to have a decent repo of a very unique part.

I've got one of the repo's also and it works great. Mine was missing when I got my Mach and I chased them for several years on e-Bay but the final bids were usually in the $200 range. I'd always drop out once it passed $100. Finally got the repop a few years go for around $50 or so (don't remember exactly).

Here's a couple of sources now:

http://www.cal-mustang.com/1970-MACH-1-SPORT-LAMP-SWITCH-ASSEMBLEY-P33050C319.aspx

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy01.asp?T1=FLS6+01&Category=IgnitionElectronics&CatKey=EMUSTANG

Cool, just checked and confirmed. The center post is indeed the common. When switch is pulled towards you it makes contact with the forward post and when lamps are turned off makes with the opposite contact. Hope that helps

Actually it looks like you push to turn on sport lamps, pull to turn it off. At least thats how mine is working. Its not in the owner manaul and the switch and plug only goes in one way. Cant beieve I am asking this but is that the way its supposed to work? Push on, and pull off?

Actually it looks like you push to turn on sport lamps, pull to turn it off. At least thats how mine is working. Its not in the owner manaul and the switch and plug only goes in one way. Cant beieve I am asking this but is that the way its supposed to work? Push on, and pull off?

hmmmm....that would seem backwards. And that does help thanks.

The switch operation itself doesn't seem backward. If you think that when you pull the lever towards you the stem at the top is actually moving away to the far terminal. I just dont get the switch operation for sport lamps. It would sure seem like I have it in backwards.

No on mine and others I've driven you pull the switch towards you for the lights to illuminate.

Figured this out. If you have ever looked closely at the plug for the sportlamp switch you might notice that its plastic hinged and snaps together. When I got my harness back from midlife it was open. I hastily put the grey and black wire back in where I thought they belonged. Revisted that and indeed I had placed thegrey wire on the aft-most position. Unsnapped it, moved the grey wire to the front-most position and all working as it should.

Edited by miketyler