Sign in to follow this  
jeepcj7304

Hood pins?

Hood Pins?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Hood Pins?

• should I use hood pins?
    • Cover holes and use original latch?

Ok so I found a hood today at a swap meet. original 69 hood with scoop no rust dents or scratches owner wanted to change to a shaker hood. Anyway it is going on my 69 coupe 351 build. I wasnt going to use hood pins but since this hood already had them factory I am trying to decide. First how do you install the pins on a car that did not originally have them? Second can you use the regular hood latch and cover the holes? and third which would you all choose?

I would use the pins I think they look so mean on these old muscle cars. Shoot I have a set on my 2000 gt and I love the look on that too. It's really all personal preference so I would try to google image pictures of your color and year car with hood pins and see if you like it.

As for install, if the hood already has holes in it (like the hood on my 69) but no holes to mount the pins, I would put the hood on and see what is under the hood where your holes are. For me it's the rad support so I'm going to close my hood, trace out the holes beneath them and then drill the center of my circles. Only drill it big enough for the pin you are using because you place 2 nuts on the pin to hold it in place.

I hope this helps I know it sounds confusing, sorry.

I like the pins too, I think you made a wise choice. If I am reading your original post correct though I would not intend to use them instead of a regular latch, You should keep that as the primary, the pins are more for secondary unless you have a full race hood with 4 of them.

If the scoops you are waiting on are the Shelby ones plan on more waiting for paint after you get them. 1) you need to decide how you want to mount them, factory holes or as supplied (I suggest factory). 2) Unless they changed supplier I am pretty sure the CJ scoops do not come with the vent holes cut out and screens inserted so you will need to do that finish trim work your self, I went with the Cobranda ones for that very reason, they still needed some minor shaping but a lot easier than trying to core the whole vent and not crack them.