Sign in to follow this  
stangme428

69 shelby center exhaust

Keep in mind fellas, 427stang has room because he is using a narrower-than-stock fuel cell out back. No way would that fit using a stock gas tank. Excellent work btw 427stang, you definitely have a lot of time into that build and it shows!

True but my rear subframe is narrowed also. The pic shows the original rail stubs in the rear that are tied into the subframe. The real issiue is the distance between the fuel tank and the rear pod. It is tight with a stock tank and 2-1/2" tubing. Not to say it can't be done but it may hang down a bit further than the cast pod. The cast pod is worthless in my opinion unless you have cutouts. Too much restriction.

CIMG12181.jpg

The pod inlet isn't the problem, it's the tight radius 90 degree turn the exhaust gas has to make once it enters it. After the turn the internal volume is reduced for clearance between the fuel tank and valence. I sold the pod I had otherwise I could show you a close up photo. The restriction would only pose a problem when racing or with a large displacement engine hence the motorized cutouts. Just watch out for the law if you crack them open on the street.

The pic is of one of the mounting bolts from inside the trunk area. I have a piece of angle welded to the trunk brace as a base for the sheet metal liner so disregard it. The holes are there and all you have to do is drill them all the way through for the mounting bolt (7/16" NC if I remember correctly).

photo12341234.jpg

So the body mounting holes, two of them, are partially punched out already? They just need to be finished off with a drill? Do you have a close up from the rear view? Would 2 1/2" pipe fit here? Or would it need to be oval? Bruce