Flanders

three point seatbelt install

Hi there

I am writing from Australia, great info, thanks.  My 69 only has lap belts so it is great to know I can up-grade to lap/sash.  One point I missed in the thread is regarding the mounting of the base retractor, is there a factory hole for the retractor?  Secondly, once the retractor has been installed, is there room (clearance) to move the seat all the way back?

Thanks

Peter

I've been wondering the same thing demon- in stock form we have the retractor at C, and no place currently to put A. The illustration below is from andoauto.com. Any pictures out there showing what you guys did? They call this three point but there are actually four mounting points.

Belt388-L.jpg

My car is currently still under wraps in the garage so I can't zip out and check, however that picture is not correct.  The "new" retractor uses the one hole © in the diagram.  In this picture, you can see the hole is closer to where your (A) is:

DSC_6962_s.jpg

I don't think I've had my seat retracted all the way back, so I'm not sure about clearance.  I'm just over 6', so I've got my seat back maybe more than most people.

My car is currently still under wraps in the garage so I can't zip out and check, however that picture is not correct.  The "new" retractor uses the one hole © in the diagram.  In this picture, you can see the hole is closer to where your (A) is:

OK I'm confused. Which path does the belt follow:

1. Retractor to B, B to buckle, buckle to hard point (like the diagram)

or

2. Retractor to buckle, buckle to B, B to hard point. (This one is what I think you said)

or perhaps you were talking just about the placement of the retractor and hard point and the belt path is still like #1? Sorry, its just not clear to me.

Likewise for me, a little confusing.  Per Flanders pic, there appears to be two mounting points at the bottom, one for the belt and one for the retractor, this is the set-up I want to use.  It appears belt is located in the original position for a lap belt but the retractor is mounted a couple of inches or so back from the belt mount.  Am I on the right track?  If so, is there a factory mounting hole for the retractor? 

Thanks

Aussie demon69

Hi there

I am writing from Australia, great info, thanks. My 69 only has lap belts so it is great to know I can up-grade to lap/sash. One point I missed in the thread is regarding the mounting of the base retractor, is there a factory hole for the retractor? Secondly, once the retractor has been installed, is there room (clearance) to move the seat all the way back?

Thanks

Peter

Peter the retractor won't fit in the original hole if you push the seat right back. I did the same as Shaun and welded a new mounting point in further back . Also a drop link will help so the belt doesn't cut into your neck .

On 5/21/2014 at 12:31 PM, Flanders said:

Restomod -- the car originally had shoulder straps, but when we put the new headliner in, I didn't want to install the straps. I didn't like how they dangle down when unused (as you've described, they hang horizontally, but tend to droop).

The hole I cut in the headliner matched up with the existing threaded nut that was welded to the fastback pillar. This nut was used for the 'old' seatbelt strap. So for your install, you'd remove the old shoulder strap and re-use the hole for the new retractable belt.

Hi.  I have a 70 Mach and wanted to install the original shoulder belo

Raven -- I ordered from my link above (http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/conversion-van-seat-belt.html) so it was $70 per side, plus shipping to Canada.

On 5/21/2014 at 12:31 PM, Flanders said:

Hi All.  All this is super helpful.  I'm trying to decide what to do with my 70 Mach, but i'm leaning toward putting the original shoulder harnesses in.  My car has only the lap belts.  Are you interested in selling the shoulder harnesses and do the pins that fit through the tri-hole in the lap belt tongue still have the plastic ring to hold them in place?  Thanks again and please LMK.  Dan.

Restomod -- the car originally had shoulder straps, but when we put the new headliner in, I didn't want to install the straps. I didn't like how they dangle down when unused (as you've described, they hang horizontally, but tend to droop).

The hole I cut in the headliner matched up with the existing threaded nut that was welded to the fastback pillar. This nut was used for the 'old' seatbelt strap. So for your install, you'd remove the old shoulder strap and re-use the hole for the new retractable belt.

Hi.  I have a 70 Mach and wanted to install the original shoulder belo

Raven -- I ordered from my link above (http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/conversion-van-seat-belt.html) so it was $70 per side, plus shipping to Canada.

Edited by Blue70

On 9/25/2012 at 10:07 AM, Flanders said:

I thought I'd post a few pics, in hopes it'll help others down the road. I wanted to install a set of retractable 3-point seatbelts in my fastback and use the factory holes. I ended up getting a set of Wesco belts, with shoulder extension:

Then install the base retractor, and the 'arm' that connects to the lap belt:

DSC_6962_s.jpg

I have to ask because I tried a kit sold through Scott Drake.  After installing the base retractor can you move the seat all the way back?  With the kit I tried the base retractor hit the seats and they could not go back all the way.  My legs are too long for that and need the seat all the way back.

I intend to do this because its a very clean installation that looks factory and puts the reel out of the way: https://www.seatbeltstore.com/Articles.asp?ID=249

And it appears that these will trim the hole nicely: https://corvetteparts.com/item/bezel-pair-seatbelt-outlet-at-roof-trim-black-1978-1982

10 hours ago, Dave R. said:

https://www.julianos.com/Articles.asp?ID=248        This series of photos shows install of 3 point into a '70 sportsroof.   Dave R.

Yes, that's the "stock" installation that is also shown on seatbeltstore website. The difference is that the retractor reel is in the way of the seat sliding back (for all you long legged guys), and a rear passenger has to step over it.

I do have a question, about the "custom" installation: what they call the "end bracket" is attached below the retractor, which means the armrest also has to be "clearanced" for that (or the belt) somewhere along it's lower forward edge. But they make no mention or show any pictures of that. The end bracket is one end of the three point harness. I have asked for clarification and hopefully will have an answer in a day or two.

48 minutes ago, Mach1 Driver said:

Yes, that's the "stock" installation that is also shown on seatbeltstore website. The difference is that the retractor reel is in the way of the seat sliding back (for all you long legged guys), and a rear passenger has to step over it.

I do have a question, about the "custom" installation: what they call the "end bracket" is attached below the retractor, which means the armrest also has to be "clearanced" for that (or the belt) somewhere along it's lower forward edge. But they make no mention or show any pictures of that. The end bracket is one end of the three point harness. I have asked for clarification and hopefully will have an answer in a day or two.

I drive my '69 with the seat "one click" from the full back position without trouble. The seat will go full back without hitting the retractor. The retractor is angled slightly towards the rear as these pictures show. I had no desire to start hacking on those interior panels to hide the retractor. Rear seat passengers are not a consideration for me.   Dave R.

6 hours ago, Dave R. said:

I drive my '69 with the seat "one click" from the full back position without trouble. The seat will go full back without hitting the retractor. The retractor is angled slightly towards the rear as these pictures show. I had no desire to start hacking on those interior panels to hide the retractor. Rear seat passengers are not a consideration for me.   Dave R.

I respect that, after all the quarter trim panels are not inexpensive at $230 a set, but for those that feel the urge, there is an option. Some long legged guys have been known to extend the seat slide brackets for more room.

23 minutes ago, Mach1 Driver said:

I respect that, after all the quarter trim panels are not inexpensive at $230 a set, but for those that feel the urge, there is an option. Some long legged guys have been known to extend the seat slide brackets for more room.

Had my original trim panels been in need of replacing then I would have had a decision to make on retractor placement. I was not interested in cutting up my original panels. I like the idea of and look of the finished relocation.

As mine is positioned I think the seat could move back, unobstructed, even with seat extenders.  Good luck.   Dave R.