Sign in to follow this  
Mike65

Flip down gas cap question

I was removing some boxs of parts from the Coupe today & came across the flip down gas cap which I had purchased to use on my 69 Coupe. It is an original Ford part & I have heard that the new flip down caps come with a twist off cap that can go inside under the lid of the cap, is anyone using this & do you thing it is safe to use the original cap that has the spring loaded seal inside the lid to seal to the filler neck? I had the same cap on my old 68 GT Coupe & never had a problem with it. If you do not reccomend using it is there a way I can remove the spring & seal & just use a twist on cap under the flip down part. If it is reccomened to remove the spring loaded seal does anyone know how to remove the spring & seal?.

TIA, Mike.

These are some pics that Bill from CJ sent me on how to assemble a new repop gas cap. From what I understand the old flip open do not meet new standards so they recommend the twist open for a better seal. Just what I heard, I still use the flip open with no probs so far.

[ATTACH]12226[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]12227[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]12228[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]12229[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]12230[/ATTACH]

The for show only disclaimer is mostly just to cover their ass, I know many folks who still run the repro with the spring like original and I am one of them. I replaced my old worn original with a new repro a few years ago, I don't recall if the original comes apart in the same fashion as the repro though if you are looking to use a screw cap with your original part.

The gas cap I have I had purchased to use on my 69 Coupe & had no emblem. I got an emblem & it came with 3 retainers except 2 of the pins or inside the spring & I cant get at them. Any ideas anyone?.

Pakrat,

Look at the first pic in post #3 by Must1969, the inside of my cap looks like that one except it doesnt have the 4 screws in the dished section mine is solid. I tried to grab the small cap in the center with a pliers & the whole assembley (spring & retainer) seem to turn. If you need a pic I will take one tomorrow & post it.

Mike.

That was kind of my point in post #6, that I didn't think you could remove that on the original Ford piece which means you don't even have the option to use the twist on cap since you have to choose between that or the spring closure, you can't use both.

I can look at my original tonight and compare. Does the emblem fit very loose on the cap? Maybe it requires barrel nuts inserted from the front first like the trunk letters and other emblems? I am pretty sure the emblems they sell today are meant for the repro caps not the originals.

375890-S.jpg

OK then, maybe nothins required if it doesn't fall offf or maybe the one you can access will be enough. There is always a dab if superglue if not.

So do not get a twist on then for your original cap, it won't close with the spring on and you cannot remove that apparantly.