Sign in to follow this  
jeepcj7304

Dash pad install

So long story but here it is. I just purchased a 69 coupe that was completely torn down to a rolling chassis. The previous owner had purchased a new dash pad sometime over the last 5 years and let it sit. I purchased a new gauge bezel and have a factory passengers dash section. After installing the gauge bezel I started on the dash pad. I got it all in and bolted up but there is a small gap between the gauge bezel and the dash pad along the top edge. I tried prying, pushing, pulling, etc but cant seem to close the gap. There was the same issue on the passengers side panel where the clock is. Is this the dash pad being old and tweaked from sitting wrong on is it just reproduction parts? Any ideas. It is not noticeable from outside or with a quick look inside but if your sitting in it driving it is annoying.

I just took mine out and didn't see any problems with it. I purchased a Ford tooling dashpad, a new guage bezel, and everything went together with no problems. The reason I took it out, is that I am re doing everything on it, but maybe one thing to check, and maybe this might not be an issue, is that to make sure the 4 bolts and all the bolts on the lower dash are tight. It sounds like maybe that lower dash may need to be moved up just a bit. By loosening up all the bolts that actually hold that lower dash unit on to the car, it may be enough to fill that small gap. Here are a few pics of my pad to see if your clips have the depth to the pad. The one is the side bracket that holds down that bottom dash. There seems that there might be some wiggle room to maybe close that gap. Good luck.

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00001.jpg

DSC00006.jpg

I saw that your pad had numbers on it, so I went out to look at mine, and they are the same numbers. What you have is the Ford Tooling Dash Pad. I paid around 350.00 for it. One thing I do notice, is it looks like you have a white coating under that pad? Mine is all black under there. If you can't get it to match up, you could always spray some black on the inside edge to hide it. I didn't know that lower dash moved either, until I was taking it off, and I noticed the screws were loose, so when I pushup up from the bottom, the dash raised just a bit. I am wondering if the lower dash is some what like the doors, that if you take them off, you have to realign them again, then bolt them in place. Just a guess.

It looks like you might have to trim some of that grey foam off from the bottom edge of the dash pad to get the dash bezels to move up into place. Did you install the clock bezel onto the dash pad before installing the dash pad assembly? Because there are two side clips that can only be attached to the dash pad with the pad off. Bruce

i installed the clock bezel after which I realized at the time was wrong. I just finished because I am assuming something is wrong and I wil have to get behind there again anyway for wirirng possibly this is basically a first mockup on the install. I only located two bolts for the lower dash just below the dash by each door. Is there more bolts then jsut the two and if so where. I could not get it to budge with unbolting the two and loosening the dash screws.

I would be very careful before trimming anything. Although these are Ford tooling, you do not know the condition of the tool / age or the quality control at the supplier. Once these parts are out of production, there is a quantity made by the original supplier for service. After that the tool is on its own. I bought a dash pad about 20 years ago, before repo and at that time is was about $400. The fit is not great and nowhere near original fit. I would dye the gray to black and live with it. Just the fact that the color of the foam is different between runs tells you alot about consistency in production.

I bought some Ford tooled stampings, was shocked to see the condition of the part. The tool being used was spent, you could see where it was welded and poorly polished.

Jeep,

Is that the foam showing in the gap? Dye it and move on. I've had a couple of different OE dash pads on mine and have always had a slight gap fore & aft but flush or slightly recessed radially. Trim if necessary, won't hurt anything unless you go too far.

There is one more, and that is a rod that is attached to the firewall> I do not have my lower dash here, as it is at the body shop getting some holes patched up. There is a pic of that rod and where it is positioned. With the clock bezel panel out, you can see this rod, I believe. It is to the left of where the bezel is and under the windshield, on the firewall, or cowl area. One connects to the top, and the other to the lower dash.

DSCF0040.jpg

DSCF0041.jpg

Edited by Nightowl