fvike

Crashed my Fastback - The rebuild thread

Guys at the paintshop says it's paint tomorrow. Final blocking today.

Here's Mathias doing his black magic....

31114501000_3caf21a2f9_b.jpg

31448249686_67579151eb_b.jpg

31114505690_8cb547b27b_b.jpg

And the result is an arrow straight quarter. Keep in mind, there's almost no bondo or filler under it. Just metalwork mastery from these guys. 

31448244686_7b4c0088da_b.jpg

31448241226_ac3eba172e_b.jpg

I just had to repost this image from a year ago of the same fender, virtually no filler.

21030844984_b9237bb497_b.jpg

Thanks guys! I'm glad that I did let the paint and bodyshop guys do the job, even if it was expensive. No way if I could have gotten that result on my own. It did take me 4 years to afford it, but it was worth it. So this is by no means a checkbook build, I just wanted to restore the car to a level so that I don't have to redo it 5 -10 years down the road. In fact, I don't want to have to do nothin' but drive it for the next 20 years!

OMG!!!!!!! That is an unbelievable color!

Stunning! And to think........ when mine gets painted, all I'll end up with is a black car. The people at ford are probably wondering if they can go back in time and add that to the color palette so they can get credit for it.

Fvike, love what you have done with your project.  Making lemons into lemon-aide.  I am planning on doing the TCP suspension on  my 69 as well and I was thinking the four bar rear suspension but I really like the look of the pushrod setup.  Do you like how it performs on the street and track?  I know it's been a few years since you have driven it but was wanting to ask so you could think on it.

I am also a twin, ironically my twin brother bought a newer Shelby GT/SC that was signed by Carroll Shelby while he was deployed to the desert.  I was leaning more towards a Mopar (70-71 Cuda or 70 Challenger) when I came across the 69 I bought.  For me it was more a matter of economics.  Parts are much cheaper and plentiful for the early Mustangs over a Mopar.  Having said that mine turned out to have several issues that I did not find till after the fact.

I also was in the middle of restoring my car when my first child was born (son) and less than two years later a second son came along.   Back in school again because I am over-qualified with all the experience I have here.  Nevertheless, I am not in a big hurry to add the suspension since I do not have the money to do it yet.  I have really enjoyed reading your project progress and wanted to thank you for all the detailed information and pictures on what you have done.  

Good news for me is I will be moving back to Texas in a few years and there is a racetrack that I could go racing on in the town I am looking at moving to and another less than an hour away.

Thanks again for all the detail and taking us along with your restoration.  It might have taken longer than you wanted but it is a spectacular job you are doing.

Oh and please keep posting any new updates as I am really enjoying it and this forum.

Brad

69FB, thanks for the kind words. I found having a build thread a real asset, as one can easily go back and see how you did things, because some things you forget during a long restoration period. It's also nice to get feedback, which again helps motivate to get stuff done. So do yourself a favor and get a build thread for your project. I've not done anything since the car was painted, so it's been almost 2 months now. Want to get that paint nice and cured before I start tearing into it. I hope I'll get something going soon, starting to get impatient.

As for the rear pushrod suspension system (RPSS), it will of course ride a bit hard downtown with speed bumps and potholes and such. But it is very nice on the open road. The car is very nimble and changes direction instantly. The main drawback of the pushrod suspension is of course the lack of suspension travel. I think Maier Racing's rear pushrod suspension is a better option for that, but they have the coilovers inside the car, which perhaps isn't a good solution for everyone. The TCP unit is very compact, and just good packaging. Can run exhaust thru it.

I've not tried the TCP 4-link suspension, but I've seen a '69 Hardtop with it. It has more suspension travel, but exhaust has to run under the axle, and that is the main reason I went with the RPSS. This was back in 2008.

On the track, it just plain works, it's a race suspension after all. I don't really know what it can do on the track. I used to run 245/45-17s so I always had more "suspenson grip" than "tire grip". That's why I want at least 315s in the back. The suspension always outperformed the 245 series tires on the car.

Caseyrhe: Daaaaaammmmmnnnn!! Put those shades on!