fvike

Crashed my Fastback - The rebuild thread

"The Grind" is nearing it's end. Even the rear frame rails have been cleaned up, but all over the place is tiny pieces of undercoating that has to be removed. It's meticulous work to say the least. As you can see from these pictures, there is still that black stuff that need to be cleaned up. It's a lot of work, but I want to preserve the original paint under the car where I can to serve as a base. I see no point in removing it from a rust free car.

13570003684_ecd0da4c7e_b.jpg

13569687543_1e39925b49_b.jpg

13569990604_3a7526d9dc_b.jpg

Rear right wheelhouse.

13569617575_6a32303878_b.jpg

13570036224_09cb8bb904_b.jpg

I popped a 275/35-18 tire in the wheelhouse. I want to run 315s so I guess tubs or at least some sort of "massage" is in order.

The car is coming along nicely. Since ur car is all apart now would be a good time to use some internal frame coating paint from eastwood. It stops the rust from the inside of the frame rails.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Internal-Frame-Coating-Rust-Prevention-w-Spray-Nozzle-/360895801714?pt=Automotive_Paints_Primers&hash=item540710e972&vxp=mtr

The car is coming along nicely. Since ur car is all apart now would be a good time to use some internal frame coating paint from eastwood. It stops the rust from the inside of the frame rails.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Internal-Frame-Coating-Rust-Prevention-w-Spray-Nozzle-/360895801714?pt=Automotive_Paints_Primers&hash=item540710e972&vxp=mtr

Yeah, I did plan on using Hagmans Carosol which will penetrate instead of encapsulate. Hagman is a Swedish brand which is in the stores here, so it's easier to buy than Eastwood on this side of the planet. ;) On the underside of the car I want to use U-Pol bedliner as SWPruett did on his Night Mission Boss 302. I like what he did alot.

You are making great progress, can't wait to see the continued updates. Are those Toyo's? I love the pattern, I also really like the Dunlop Direzza ZII's. Continued success on your project!

Fantastic progress and work. I know it took it's toll, but I love that you raced it, banged it up, and are bringing it back. You've more than earned my respect and awe.

Thanks. I could have just replaced the front end and had the car on the road again by now, but I wanted to "do it right" and restore the whole car.

You are making great progress, can't wait to see the continued updates. Are those Toyo's? I love the pattern, I also really like the Dunlop Direzza ZII's. Continued success on your project!

Yeah it is a Toyo Proxxes R888. Good eye! :1eye:

My brother run these on his '70 'Cuda. 275/35-18s in front and 335/30-18s in the back. It's a great tire, with a lot of grip, and it's suprisingly good in the rain too.

8456228014_0ce1d20b86_b.jpg

8455131121_f2ba3070ac_b.jpg

Thanks. I could have just replaced the front end and had the car on the road again by now, but I wanted to "do it right" and restore the whole car.

My brother run these on his '70 'Cuda. 275/35-18s in front and 335/30-18s in the back. It's a great tire, with a lot of grip, and it's suprisingly good in the rain too.

8456228014_0ce1d20b86_b.jpg

8455131121_f2ba3070ac_b.jpg

I really like the look, they look great on your car. This is a beauty too, for a Dodge...:thumbup:

Frode: Jerry here. Our cars were twins once. Do you guys run those on the street? I thought they were a track only tire. Do you keep those stored indoors during the winter?

Yeah, it's a DOT apporoved tire, so we run them in the street too. The cars are stored indoors all winter. We wrench in the winter and drive in the summer ;)

69Tool: it's a Plymouth ;)

Yeah, it's a DOT apporoved tire, so we run them in the street too. The cars are stored indoors all winter. We wrench in the winter and drive in the summer ;)

Haha, fair enough, it is a beauty!

how do those tires behave on the street? Do they need to warm up in order to have grip or are they ok for just tooling around?

No need to warm up, at least with the amount of rubber on the 'cuda. It has plenty of grip. And when they do get warmed up at a track day, they are just insane. Massive grip, and brake transfer too. They feel like chewing gum when hot. Just sticky.

They say a picture is worth 1000 words...

13629729964_1d9a606430_b.jpg

13629721704_c7002a8559_b.jpg

This is the chewing gum stage.

Frode,

Keep in mind that if you modify the wheel tub you CAN NOT change the frame rail where the suspension cradle mounts.

We had one customer mini-tub his car and when he went to put the suspension back in he discovered there wasn't anywhere to mount it anymore.

Carl - I meant to mail you about that very thing. Can I use your wheel tubs, but w/o the frame modifications? That would make room for a 315 tire?

Carl - I meant to mail you about that very thing. Can I use your wheel tubs, but w/o the frame modifications? That would make room for a 315 tire?

I'd like to know the answer to this too.

Your car is coming along nicely, bet it's fun to drive on that track

I honestly don't know. I don't have a 69 or 70 style body here to throw a tape under. Even then, all these cars are slightly different and we always recommend measuring the car in question.

Our minitub, like pretty much all of them, is 2" deeper than stock. You don't necessarily have to notch the frame rail, you would just have a little bit of a step between the tub and the rail.

After not doing much for a while, I took the car out today to steam wash it. So Now it's clean. :)

14175015658_83d96d3082_b.jpg

14358319401_1523d11506_b.jpg

14360749684_22739fae8d_b.jpg

14175062380_ed84389d94_b.jpg

Some paint was washed with off with the 194 degree high pressure water.

14175058070_d3167d4036_b.jpg

14175056300_9aae0c5620_b.jpg

14174965979_97f298cdfd_b.jpg

Car was orange at one point.

Do you mean the Nissan Laurel? It's an original 3 liter car (kinda rare here, most were 2 liter or 2.6 liter), but it has a 3 liter Nissan ZX engine. Not my car.