fvike

Crashed my Fastback - The rebuild thread

miketyler - I am fitting 275s up front. My brother has a '70 'Cuda with the XV Motorsports level 2 suspension. His combo is 275/35-18 and 335/30-18 in stock wheelwells! He does have a B-body rear axle.

I may have posted something a few years ago in another thread. Anyway, its the Total Control Products' Rear Pushrod Suspension System (RPSS). Basicly, it's a 3 link suspension. It's made up of cradle that holds the rear axle suspended with 2 trailing arms, a torque arm (funcioning as the 3rd link), a watts link under the rear axle, and laydown coil-overs operated by pushrods (the trailing arms and a pivot). I got a Strange ST iron 9" with a true-trac diff, and 31 spline Strange SS axles. I plan to run 315s in the back.

Nice. I like the Firebird seeings I have a 69 droptop Firebird also. I like most cars but not too fond of many mopars. I aquired a few from my brother that I will sell soon. I have a 72 charger with xheads. Nice car but not too my liking. Put a edelbrock thunder on it and it moves nice. Other mopar is a 1965 NewYorker. Actually a cool cat but I have over 10 cars so the mopars will go (I think lol). My brother has a 68 Cuda convert and it is a pretty nice car. I told him how nice my carb was so he took it off and put it on the Cuda and it moves lol. Now he wont put it back on. When I sell the charger will save the carb and put it on the GTOs.

Finally a little bit of progress again today. I removed the quarter scoops, and the quarter extension panels. One of them had a gromet on the underside - is it supposed to be there? BTW - the panel to the right is a repro.

8289438352_01dd5d403f_b.jpg

There was a few rust bubbles under the panel, but I'm swapping the rear panel anyways, since it was not welded on right, and had a bulge in it at the bottom passenger taillight.

8288382921_f59eb555af_b.jpg

Cleaned it up a bit. You can see the bulge here.

8288388545_c69c595a14_b.jpg

Other side, I've swapped it out once before when I hit the armoco at the track ass first some 5-6 years back. Found that that panel had ben repaired before, so I got a new one.

8288385557_1995e200ce_b.jpg

Just wanna say happy birthday to my Mustang, which was built this day in 1968! It's in pieces and banged up now, but new parts is on the way, and a new chapter will begin for this 44 yrs young machine.

8311970956_5868b8f6f0_b.jpg

Haven't done anything for a month, as December is pretty hectic. But got some new parts today from Ringbrothers!

8367772793_e3f557e88f_b.jpg

8368842044_4974aef6ed_b.jpg

8368843092_3d545ba648_b.jpg

8368844070_2cfb14f146_b.jpg

I hope to get the chassis/body parts I need in the beginning of February, so I better get to it again.

I dont believe there was any grommet from the factory on those rear quarter extensions. I thought they used large-flanged nuts with sealer to keep trunk compartment dry.

Those Ring Bros strikers look great. I may need to get a set of those for my car :)

Got a shitload of parts today! The entire front, hood, bolt kits, fenders and a lot of misc parts; bolts, grommets, seals, trim parts, etc.

8452020932_70a70058bf_b.jpg

8452023496_02f16e12bb_b.jpg

8452019370_4811d205c9_b.jpg

8450926329_567bf08e41_b.jpg

8452026476_9793a3c3bb_b.jpg

Dynacorn inner fenders got Boss 302 reinforcements on them on the outside of the tower, not on the inside.

8450923557_a3d214a408_b.jpg

Ken, do you recognize these? They look great!

8452029450_fa790a6e05_b.jpg

8452032456_d1200d0e02_b.jpg

8452059218_65002e1065_b.jpg

Next step; get the Mustang to the body shop!

Hey Frode, glad you are happy with them and that they made it over the month long journey to Norway without any damage! It's amazing they can do that but our UPS goons can destroy a package in 2 days.

Glad I could help you in a small way get it back together.

Ken, do you recognize these? They look great!

8452029450_fa790a6e05_b.jpg

8452032456_d1200d0e02_b.jpg

8452059218_65002e1065_b.jpg

Next step; get the Mustang to the body shop!

So, I got a set of Viper seats for the 'stang. I plan to upholster them to look like Mach 1 seats. The driver seat got a dent in one side, so that will have to come off anyway.

8474481596_58e9e7c21d_b.jpg

The passenger seat actually has ISOFIX mounts.

8473393351_45976ab661_b.jpg

Pak, you're on to something. I got them off ebay from X2 collision in Illinois. I've seen the dent on others Viper Seats on ebay too, but always on that exact spot on the driver seat. I wonder if it's something that occurs during a collision. It didn't bother me, since the plan is to upholster them anyway.

The Viper Seats are real comfortable to sit in, as least as good as the 12-way pnumatic side-cushioned "Multi-contour" seat in my 2011 Audi A6 (German cars tends to have firm seats). Now, I'm a slender guy, but they hug me pretty good. So they aren't very wide. They'll be a big help in future track days with the cornering g's. :rockon:

I was assuming he salvaged them from a wrecked viper or something and that's what happened to the driver side.

Good call!

I send car parts all over the country and when packing seats, which are not the easiest at times, you need to be careful the bolsters or edges don't squash and change shape just like this one has. You can push the foam in and it'll return straight away, but if it gets pushed in during transit the dent will stay or take a long time to come out.

One thing they do here in Aus, after a car accident and say the bumper and guard get broken off, they'll put them inside the car to tow it all away. Often where the pointy side of the bumper is on a seat, it will push into the seat foam and also create a dent. Sometimes that alone can ruin a good seat.

I prepped the car for going to the bodyshop last evening. Removed the exhaust, brakelines, parking brake cable, etc. So, Monday, they start jigging and replacing the front of the car. I'm excited to get stuff moving.

8477542059_fa5cdef5f0_b.jpg

PS; the seats came in the big box to the left.

Edit: Quick tip: Wearing a head LED is great when working under the car. You always have light where you turn your head.

Although it is very sad to see your car busted up like it was, it is VERY cool that you are taking the time to interact with us and see the progress on your ride. Our '70 has been in the body shop awaiting a paint job for 2 years, the body guy tells me I will have it this summer for sure. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us here in the states. Folks like you and others here make me proud to be a member of Mustang nation...

fredfordguy - wow, those are big words. Thank you. Actually, I use this forum thread as a motivational tool to keep the project going. I'm very happy with the progress so far, but I really haven't gotten to the time consuming part of a project yet. When I get the car back, I'll have it up on a rotserie, and do the underside of the car. Then the inside, and then the body, before paint.... Anyway, posting utdates here is a good way to keep things going. (It's the going thing :rolleyes:)

I hope you get your car back soon. 2 years is a long time to wait.