fvike

Crashed my Fastback - The rebuild thread

Some more progress today, got the windshield out! Also got the main electrical harness out.

8183236958_bcb4f67db4_b.jpg

8183232196_c8b3167251_b.jpg

8183183453_95bd6d8bcf_b.jpg

This was all the rust there was on the pillars. The cowl is also rust free :)

8183227660_12c724779a_b.jpg

Not much left now. Need to replace driver side floor, but I was aware of that. I've had the replacement panel lying around a couple of years already.

The rear windshield is the easiest one. Remove the trim (may require a special tool, but I did it without) and use a knife to cut the gasket in half. Basicly you're cutting the top of the gasket, so that the glass is free. Then simply pop it out from the inside, pushing steadily at the corners of the glass.

The front windshield is glued in, so it requires a special knife (its L shaped)to cut around the glass after the trim is removed. I got a skilled professional to help me. But same thing, cut and push, but it's a bit harder since it's glue and not a gasket. The rear windshield can rest in the gasket while it's pushed out, while the front windshield cannot. It will glue it self down if it touches the glue again.

I'm hoping it will take a year, but I think it will take two. Insurance only covered the damage, not a full resto, so I gotta spend some money out of my pocket too. But that's fair.

Good luck on the rebuild. Sorry about the crash, there are idiots everywhere. To get a more accurate repair time quote, I always have to multiply my guess times pi.

Bob

Good luck on the rebuild. Sorry about the crash, there are idiots everywhere. To get a more accurate repair time quote, I always have to multiply my guess times pi.

Bob

Hope you're wrong, or else I'm looking at 3-6 years on the project!:sweatdrop:

Anyway, removed the heater box, no surprises there either. I like how solid this car is. Besides the driver foot well and passenger door, there is virtually no rust on the car.

8198327132_38c984c5a9_b.jpg

8197232263_bb3796a58a_b.jpg

8198320190_71d3ce51cb_b.jpg

Next up: remove the steering and brake components from the engine bay.

Bob

Hope you're wrong, or else I'm looking at 3-6 years on the project!:sweatdrop:

Anyway, removed the heater box, no surprises there either. I like how solid this car is. Besides the driver foot well and passenger door, there is virtually no rust on the car.

8198327132_38c984c5a9_b.jpg

8197232263_bb3796a58a_b.jpg

8198320190_71d3ce51cb_b.jpg

Next up: remove the steering and brake components from the engine bay.

2" drop spindles from Stubtech in Australia. They look real good. They cost me 910 AUS + shipping, but I need them to fit a wheel wider than 8".

8203343341_e9b9a908e2_b.jpg

8204431534_f920bb1607_b.jpg

My twin brother Joakim got a set of new front tires for his '70 Plymouth Barracuda the other day. 275s up front, the same as I want to run. This is an 18" tire.

8203336697_92355a2ba4_b.jpg

So natrually, I had to borrow it to do a mockup of my target stance.

8204376408_61731c0cf0_b.jpg

8203281633_9b4f3e6ee9_b.jpg

Planning on 315s or 335 18" in the back. Leaning towards 315 because of my fold down rear seat. Gotta nail the stance on this build.

Well thats what my car would look like smashed up :( They're almost identical. I have to comment on your blackout panel as I've been toying with the idea of blacking mine out. I think the tail lights get lost in the panel with the black being blended into the quarter caps. Would look better on just the tail light panel, I think.... Good luck on the rebuild, got a nice car to work on.

Edited by Monzy

Well thats what my car would look like smashed up :( They're almost identical. I have to comment on your blackout panel as I've been toying with the idea of blacking mine out. I think the tail lights get lost in the panel with the black being blended into the quarter caps. Would look better on just the tail light panel, I think.... Good luck on the rebuild, got a nice car to work on.

That's funny, because I discussed it with my brother and a friend of ours when we did the blackout, and we all thought the tail lights stood out more, and that the quarter cap blackout did help that. They were painted that way originally on the Boss 302.

Individual tastes I guess.

Sorry to see your crash, such a beautiful looking car too. Your rebiuld is coming along nicely though, all the best with it.

I used to worry about this sort of thing happening when I used to do trackdays, especially as my insurance diid not cover me and I never used to take out trackday insurance. As it turned out I ended up crashing my car on a normal road a few years ago due too slippy autumn roads and lack of concerntration.

things157-1.jpg

things158-1.jpg

things159.jpg

things155-1.jpg

All fixed up now though. Thread on it here;-

http://www.mocgb.net/forums/showthread.php?24421-Mach1-project

You're so right, stuff does happen fast. Still not sure what happened that day other than the rear end slid out on a bend, then it snapped the other way and spun once or twice then went backwards into a tree, along the way it put a massive dent into the top of the passenger wing and tore off the door mirror and dented drivers side rear wheel arch.

I was not sure of the white colour when I brought it ten years ago and always thought I do a colour change one day, however the white really grew on me and now I would not want it any other colour.

You have to be careful with these cars in the rain or when there are wet leaves on the ground since the back end is so lite. I learned the hard way when I first started driving back in the mid 70's & had a 1970 Mustang Coupe as my first car. Was exciting to drive in the snow.:scared:

That's funny, because I discussed it with my brother and a friend of ours when we did the blackout, and we all thought the tail lights stood out more, and that the quarter cap blackout did help that. They were painted that way originally on the Boss 302.

Individual tastes I guess.

I didn't comment back right away but I went out to the garage and had a good look at mine which is the same body colour red as yours and had a hard time visualizing the blackout on just the tail light panel. I think your picture was just on the wrong angle. I'm sure I'll see other pics of your build to compliment the blackout through the quarter caps.

Monzy said:
I didn't comment back right away but I went out to the garage and had a good look at mine which is the same body colour red as yours and had a hard time visualizing the blackout on just the tail light panel. I think your picture was just on the wrong angle. I'm sure I'll see other pics of your build to compliment the blackout through the quarter caps.

Cool! I'd like to see pictures of your car too!

Anyway, got some things done this week too.

First, the gas tank was removed. Got some surface rust to deal with.

8233884504_5f84b3478d_b.jpg

Then we had it up on the lift, and dropped the FMX, the battery cable, the Accusump line and exhaust in front of the mufflers.

8232818677_8aedcd1849_b.jpg

My FMX. Fantastic transmission. Smooth shifts, never missed a beat. But it did have 2 oil coolers (Radiator and one extra /w fan).

8232816405_750fe31111_b.jpg

The bottom looks good too, but gotta clean it up.

8232814085_a2f6e237e6_b.jpg

Finally removed the headliner. The padding looks new. Is this original? - My brother keeps popping up in these pictures.

8232812189_80ebd48696_b.jpg

It's a old shop that we (10-12 people) used to rent for winter storage. When the owner went out of business, 8 of us who used to rent there bought it together. So now we have a great place to work on our cars. And we're renting out to a few guys. Just got the lift installed this winter, and we got a huge air compressor and the building is heated, so we got it pretty good. Next up is to paint the floors light gray to get it a bit cleaner and spreading the light better. But that's for this summer.

8235127502_796242ffe3_b.jpg

The 2 open garage doors + the red curtained window is our part of the building. The other part is a masoner business.

8234094825_728e688fd4_b.jpg

8235168448_f2dc2cba2f_b.jpg

Ditto on the great idea, photos look like Chebbys are outlawed.

Pretty much:single fuck: This is a Ford and Mopar town. But there is a Verdoro green '68 Firebird HO in the right corner of the indoor picture. And it is pretty bad. It's got a Chevy 355 race engine in it, it's an old school build with all the "go fast tricks" applied. The owner has told me what it does on the 1/4 mile, but I can't remember (My brother think it was 11.80). I've seen it break out on the 1/8 mile. It's probably the car that runs best in this town.

8238041942_a2b8500651_b.jpg

8236972159_a4730aeedf_b.jpg

Edit: And the white car at the right gate is a GMC Typhoon.

Fvike - I couldnt help but browse thru your photo album. Are you fitting 275's up front? Awesome. I test fit my 275's from the front of my Cuda on my 70 when I was placing order for wheels and although they fit they were very close for lock to lock clearance. I may get adventurous at some point and pursue that once I get the car running. For now, am running 315/35-17 on the rear and 245/40-17 up front.

Did you post up details on your rear setup somewhere?

8204410032_8129bf81fa_z.jpg