fvike

Crashed my Fastback - The rebuild thread

Good luck bro and glad you are OK. I can totally sympathize with you, I may have not been racing but some careless idiot F*d up my shit too and it just plain sucks. I making lemonade out of the lemons but it still has taken way too long and way too many lost years of enjoyment that I can never get back.

I've tested if my Crane HI-6 survived the crash. It did. Pretty good stuff, it was located in the battery pocket, so it took the impact head-on. Still works.

Had it running for like 5 seconds. I had a major leak in the oil cooler. :whistling:

You can see it in the bottom right corner in the video.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH XD :death: Such a gorgeuos ride smashed! I would hate to be in that situation with my moms car, I would've come ungluded and ended the day in handcuffs! Glad your ok thought and so is the car. Car parts can be replaced and although we can now replace body parts, we would like to keep all our limbs :)

Thanks Trav_450R. I removed the engine the other day. But still don't want to do to much before the insurance stuff is out of the way.

8086850576_8b57e90a38_b.jpg

8086849565_caa97c2310_b.jpg

8086829010_7461ddb98f_b.jpg

I've also gotten some new parts off ebay a while back.

8086852436_9c7b257322_b.jpg

Manual pedals. My FMX might not make it back into the car.

8086854360_67d3b8932b_b.jpg

NOS front buckets and a chrome grille! I'm not sure if I'll use it yet. Depends on how it looks on the car. I might go with a standard black grille.

8086858521_87af51e0a1_b.jpg

I've had a new repro front bumper lying around for years. So I just had to get it out of storage at my parents' house. :biggrin:

Glad you weren't hurt and saying "it's only metal" is much easier when you have insurance. It's a beautiful car, too bad I never saw it whole before. Is that a Ford Merlot red, it's hard to see? Is it a 3 stage paint? If you have anytime, can you post a picture before the accident. Thanks!

Frode:

I am so sorry to hear about your car. It seems you and I run parallel to each other. We built almost identical cars. I wrecked mine back in 2006 and now you have crashed yours. It took 5 years before it was fixed. The only real difference is that mine was not covered by insurance. You are lucky to have coverage for a track incident. I don't think such coverage is not available in Germany. I know it wasn't back in the NL. Good luck with the rebuild and just be happy you were not hurt.

Edited by BigDuke6

Glad you weren't hurt and saying "it's only metal" is much easier when you have insurance. It's a beautiful car, too bad I never saw it whole before. Is that a Ford Merlot red, it's hard to see? Is it a 3 stage paint? If you have anytime, can you post a picture before the accident. Thanks!

The color is Ford Chestnut Pearl. It's a really nice color that looks very different in different lighting conditions. I went deep into my harddisk and found some pictures of it.

8090633857_75bfee332c_b.jpg

8090636456_61c9a30119_b.jpg

On these pictures it looks very purple.

8090646236_87b2e0bf7f_b.jpg

Here it's brown.

8090635165_f6a8a337e2_b.jpg

Here it's more red.

8090648364_e9177595be_b.jpg

8090651236_bd1c25a667_b.jpg

8090648657_70a39398ed_b.jpg

This is how it usualy looks. A dark brownish purple.

A Couple of action shots from the track

8090653965_ec291a8a95_b.jpg

8090659636_dcc0ec596e_b.jpg

8090654737_d6197555db_b.jpg

Lastly, a shot where it's cooling down from a track session.

Whats different about the NOS buckets?

Nothing. They're just NOS - New old stock. Unused original parts. Not repro.

Frode:

I am so sorry to hear about your car. It seems you and I run parallel to each other. We built almost identical cars. I wrecked mine back in 2006 and now you have crashed yours. It took 5 years before it was fixed. The only real difference is that mine was not covered by insurance. You are lucky to have coverage for a track incident. I don't think such coverage is not available in Germany. I know it wasn't back in the NL. Good luck with the rebuild and just be happy you were not hurt.

Jerry, it's amazing, isn't it? Anyway, I hope to have the car back in action within 2 years. Hopefully 1 year. :thumbup1:

Well, the insurance claim is handled. The car was totaled, so I got some cash out, but kept the car. So I'm about to order parts. They will take some time to get here, so I'll be starting to disassemble the whole car soon (tomorrowish). I've been working on a time plan and budget to try to organize this whole project, as it is my first restoreation (I'm only 31), so I try to plan ahead. And a whole lot of bench racing/dreaming. Which is the fun part of any project. Thanks for asking!

Bench racing is always a must! Its good to hear its going to be fixed! If I wasn't working on getting my 66 F100 into its shortbed form, I'd be getting my moms purple coupe fixed and then would be finding my own Coupe! It sucks being in college and being poor!

Finaly started on the car! It feel good. I've removed the rear glass, wing, emblems, sidemarkers, rear mounted battery, accumulator, and rear seat and panels. I'm trying to not unbolt to much at once, so that I can store it away, and not just pile it up somewhere.

8153444041_03cb5e1583_b.jpg

Before you ask; the '70 is a friends car. It's a Mach 1, 351C, Toploader, a lot of options. It's original color is Grabber Orange:excl:

8153440569_c292f3b4cf_b.jpg

I had some rust bubbles in this location, but it turned out not so bad.

8153437757_5840d7a117_b.jpg

I was pretty sure this corner would be just rusted away, because water was getting into the car here. Turns out the water went around the window gasket, so I was real happy with that.

8153461840_6509dd50a9_b.jpg

Same thing here, but there's a little surface rust. not bad.

8153459360_7d8729ab72_b.jpg

This is where "all" Mustangs rust, and mine was no exception. There is a tiny hole, but a lot less than I expected, given the size of the bubbles.

8153456458_9a4dd0d049_b.jpg

Passenger door. Got major rust here, but if I'm lucky, the door edges is still intact. Got some work here.

8153420817_aa90156b39_b.jpg

I'm real happy with how intact the rear window area is. I thought it would be rusted out in the bottom. The -12AN bulkhead is where the accumulator line is connected. The accumulator bottle brackets is below where the rear seat door is located.

8153417665_b84fc1f27a_b.jpg

Rear seat area. I'm gonna replace the original noise mats with Dynamat.

8153450894_e1eedc43ff_b.jpg

The 351W's got a long wait ahead of it. Gotta give it a wash at some point.