Daves69Coupe

Parking brake release

Under this same subject, how would you get that mechanism out? I want to sand blast it, and repaint it. I see 3 bolts, and a pin like device that may hold the cable in, so how do you disconnect the cable from the mechanism?

Richard

That handle is bent terribly. To fix it you just ask your friends, or as I did my wife to release the hand brake. The foot pedal snaps back up into the released position and belts your fingers onto the release handle. Hurts like hell or so my wife says.

In my defence I did warn her not to release it by hand and to use her toes but she wouldn't listen. :w00t:

Someone wanted to set the parking brake on mine.... I said open the door and step on the the parking brake pedal .... They opened the door steeped on the release handle .... Didn't work they said... Ok remind me not to let you drive my car when I'm done.... LoL..:biggrin:

When I tried to gently bnd it back..... Snap... I think I'm moving towards a 2005 handle..

:smile:I started by taking it out and using MACH1RIDER'S suggestion. Under the car, you will see where it hooks up to the cable to the back brakes. There are 2 nuts you must take off. The first one is a small one, then there is a 3/8 nut that holds the spring and the connector. I couldn't get the cable from the parking brake to stop turning, so I took a vise grips, and put it on the cable. That helped alot, and the spring came off. That will loosen up everything else. I then took the 3 bolts out, took out the pin that holds the cable to the parking brake, gave it a small tug so the cable moved a little, then pushed the ball out of the connector. Now remember, I have my lower dash and pad out, so its alot easier to do it, but I think with a little time, some cuss words, you can get it out.:smile:

7 hours ago, Jlawl49 said:

I found that a flat head works well to release it if you have a bad spring or bend on your release. I'll try to post a pic later with the setup and direction of pull.

Just so you are aware, the previous post is ten years old.

Funny that someone resurrected this old thread.

The parking brake assembly in my car is a replacement as I myself once caught the release lever with my foot and bent the hell out of it !!    Thankfully the one in it now was a spare I saved from a parts car.

I do think the release handle hangs too low and have often thought I should try and tweak it up closer to the bottom of the dash so I don't accidentally do in this one someday.

Just one of many things on my endless "to-do" list.

Doug