Klutch

Tachometer Solution for '70 Mach 1?

Tachometer Solution for 1970 Mach 1  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Tachometer Solution for 1970 Mach 1

• Suck it up and buy a factory, tachometer gauge setup
    • Fabricate the roof pillar for a removable, aftermarket tach
    • Install a repop hood tach

I was one of the few people who was happy when the car I bought came without the factory tach option, I always wanted a hood tach and replacing the cheesy Sunpro column mounted one on the car was one of the first mods I did in my restoration.

Aw come on, you are not making the poor kid feel good about installing my tach this winter which happens to be a Sunpro column mounted... lol

I have been considering a Pontiac hood tach. They were std it seems on a lot of 68-73? Pontiacs. GTO's, etc. You can find them easily for half of the Mustang one. Just have to mod the face place. :)

http://images2.carpartsdiscount.com/auto/archive/pictures/51938/600/1/P/8B48D6D/pontiac_firebird_1968_hood_tachometer_5500_redline_oem_6468971.jpg

can you show the site where the tach can be purchased? Please

Aw come on, you are not making the poor kid feel good about installing my tach this winter which happens to be a Sunpro column mounted... lol

The one thing you are going to discover about the column mount tach, is that it gets in the way. I had one at one point and 1) it had to mounted so far up the column that I would always smack it with my hand when steering or hitting the turn signals and 2) it was always in the line of sight of my factory gauges making it difficult to read the speedometer.

Doh, sorry. I was the one who originally installed it on my car as well when my budget was tight, it was fine for the time, just not what I ultimately wanted and if I hadn't sued the pants off the bastard that hit me and totalled my Mustang I probably wouldn't have forked over the cash for it so easily even at the remarkably low $235 I paid for it compared to what they charge these days.

569cdab8b9680c4b890b3911212b6f20?wm=0&h=150&w=150&bg=FFFFFF&src=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cjponyparts.com%2Fimages%2F265%2FTACH2.jpg%3F120912

Here is a pic of the Scott Drake tach from the CJ Pony Parts catalog without the Ford logo.

Mike.

I can't believe they are getting $400 for that now, sheesh. Not sure why they sell the white for a little less unless the black out sells 3 to 1 for them but to make my earlier point they still show the old picture of the white one and it does in fact look exactly like the black if you were to order it.

Weren't there issues with the original hood tachs getting moisture behind the lens and fogging it up?

Yes. The reproductions are sealed to avoid this problem.

I don't think the originals were back lit either were they? If they were I am sure it is not as bright as the repro anyway. It's nise to have it come on with your head lights and see it clearly at night.

Doh, sorry. I was the one who originally installed it on my car as well when my budget was tight, it was fine for the time, just not what I ultimately wanted and if I hadn't sued the pants off the bastard that hit me and totalled my Mustang I probably wouldn't have forked over the cash for it so easily even at the remarkably low $235 I paid for it compared to what they charge these days.

It's ok j/k I am doing the same thing you were then. Right now I would rather have the money in my pocket (or stock in a diaper company) and still get the info on the rpm's. Since I got the car in April I always look down to see where it is shifting or idling and forget I have nothing there. Seems no matter what route you go above the column mount it is over $100. Figure I will always keep my eye out for a factory dash setup.

Heh heh, that's the original prototype design for the one I have, we talk about it in the thread I gave Klutch from when I bought mine. I'm actually responsible for having Scott Drake request the removal of the SoMuFo logo from future production, they only made about a dozen or so like that on the first trial run, I didn't think any of them got purchased by the public.

BuckeyeDemon, I don't suppose you would know what page of your build thread your tach mount can be found on? (or if you'd just post them in this thread) I've been following your build so I know how long that thread is. (and I'm lazy)

BuckeyeDemon, I don't suppose you would know what page of your build thread your tach mount can be found on? (or if you'd just post them in this thread) I've been following your build so I know how long that thread is. (and I'm lazy)

If you look at the very first reply to this thread BigSecz posted a link to the page you are looking for, Page 55.

Yeah, like I said most places never updated thier pictures. The Mustang Shop just photshopped the logo off the black and both they and Cal-Mustang show the wrong white face gauge with square trim.