Sign in to follow this  
badwolf4822

wheel width

My 69 pumps around 700 out the rear and right now i am running 20x10.5s since it was the 1st thing i found off Craigslist. I want to go down to 17s since that is the smallest i can fit over my brakes. I wanted to know how thin of wheel is too thin? since most classic wheels that wouldn't need the 2in spacers i run now only go up to like 9 or 9.5 inch wide for less than a grand a wheel.

There are a bunch of questions to ask about you car, and what has been done to it in order to even start finding out what offset and width to run on your car. Details and / or pics will be a great help. The more spicific you can be, the more help you will get. Also, what is your budjet for the new wheels and tires?

Stock rearend widths and brake offset can get a 9.5 rim with 5.5-6" backspace without any extra work. Front is best to say with 8" rim and 4.75 backspace. 275 and 245 tires.

If you've departed from stock widths or use the spacers you are mentioning for some reason, all bets are off.

I'm running these on the back with a 1/2" spacer and 315 Sumitomo tires and stock leaf springs. It has a net backspace of 6.3". Search on here for pictures. Others have the same setup, with some having rubbing issues and some having no issues. My tires rub when going around curves, but I also have worn our rubber leaf spring bushings that account for more lateral spring movement.