Sign in to follow this  
latoracing

1970 Billet Alum Tail Light Housing

Does anyone produce tail light housings in machined alum.? I know that the earlier cars are being reproduced, but I have not seen any for '70s. Is there an interest in having more than one set made? I might want to start making these, if there is some intrest. I work in a company who machines alot of Alum. on a daily basis, and might run some. That said, these will not be cheep, they will come out of a block 9" x 2.5" x 14".

I would like your feed back, to see if there is a market for this. (Someone must have made these before.)

I was thinking more along the lines of the stock fitment, where the stock lenses, and buckets are used. A "flat" approach would be alot cheeper, and easier. The gap between the parts would be an issue. These could be made in a "modular" design, where the face and the inserts are all made seperate, and fastened together. The cool thing about having automated mills, CAD, and materials on hand, make it feasible to make one offs. I suppose samples would be in order to do any market research, or at least some 3D modeling to gain some interest.