70-DropTop

70-DropTop's New Plan

Little more progress since earlier this week...and yes, it is starting to look like a car again! Passenger rear quarter needs patched, along with the trunk floor drop off and wheel housing. The engine bay still needs finished. They're moving along and I'm pretty happy.

Trunk floor repairs

IMG_0302.jpg

More trunk floor repairs

IMG_0303.jpg

New quarter panel put on and repaired door is hung

IMG_0296.jpg

Tail panel is installed

IMG_0301.jpg

A very happy guy on the side looking at his car coming together :) Oh, and that's the wheel housing for the other side laying on the floor

IMG_0306.jpg

Edited by 70-DropTop

Well, it's been a little bit and I wanted to post an update. The hang up lately has been the decision on whether to replace the fenders and hood or repair them. After grinding down the paint on these parts, the top hood skin is fine, but the underside has a fair amount of rust, including up into the structure. Similar story with the fenders...found previous repair work at the bottom and rust underside in the structure. Plus, the passenger fender was crumpled at one point and filled in.

So, the cost to fix it and get it right was going to be more than new metal...dynacorn to the rescue! Pieces should arrive this week. The major sheetmetal repairs are pretty much done, back half of the car is mostly in primer, and they've started working the body. Here's all the pieces repaired or replaced:

• Driver quarter panel
  • Passenger quarter panel
  • Taillight panel
  • Driver trunk floor and drop off
  • Passenger trunk drop off
  • Driver door patched
  • Passenger door patched
  • Passenger front inner fender apron
  • Passenger rear inner fender apron
  • Driver fender (on order)
  • Passenger fender (on order)
  • Hood (on order)
  • Rear valence (want the dual exhaust cutout) (on order)
  • Rear deck lid***new addition*** (on order)
  • Side sport mirrors***new addition*** (on order)

Wow...not sure what to think after I made that list. Damn was my first thought. No more rust was the next :). Car should be pretty good after all this.

Edited by 70-DropTop

Progress is being made again! The new front suspension, steering, and subframe connectors are in! This includes adjustable coilovers, tubular control arms, rack and pinion with bump-steer kit, and brake calipers. The subframe connectors were run through the floor pan a little to not lose ground clearance. In all, it looks good! I'll post some pics later this weekend...and provide some details, like my 18x9.5" wheels fit up front, wrapped with 275x35R18 rubber. Here's a preview:

IMG_0569.jpg

Edited by 70-DropTop

The color is Performance Red from the 1999 - 2001 Mustangs. It was called Vibrant Red in the early '90s. It is very bright, and sometimes looks like it has a little orange in it, depending on lighting. I really liked this color on my old ride, and went with it again.

I can tell I'm getting really excited to being near the completion of paint and body. The doors have been cut and buffed, the fenders were just painted, and the hood is being prepped. In general, I think the painter is doing a nice job. I'm just not happy he painted the door latches and striker plates...something to remove and clean off :(

IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

This is the first time I've seen your thread, glad I saw and read it. Very nice work so far. I've liked the strut front suspension since I first saw it a few years ago, but wasn't comfortable doing it myself. Those front tires sure fit nice in there. What do you guys with r&p steering use for headers? Nice red for the color, but I'm partial. Good luck and keep up the good work.

Bob

This is the first time I've seen your thread, glad I saw and read it. Very nice work so far. I've liked the strut front suspension since I first saw it a few years ago, but wasn't comfortable doing it myself. Those front tires sure fit nice in there. What do you guys with r&p steering use for headers? Nice red for the color, but I'm partial. Good luck and keep up the good work.

Bob

Thanks. The shop I got my R&P setup from recommends mid-length headers. If I can do long tube, I'll go that way. I have a couple months or so before I get to the exhaust system. I'm collecting drivetrain parts now. Need to order my intake, heads, carb and the last few needed pieces for the T5 conversion.

I went over to the shop to give it look and come up with a final to-do list and here's what I saw. In general, everything looks pretty freaking awesome. The color is super bright and these pics don't do it justice. I'll have to take over my camera vs. phone to take pics.

Front lower valence:

IMG_0765.jpg

A few bolts are missing, so panels aren't quite on right...gaps need a little adjusting:

IMG_0764.jpg

That looks pretty awesome:

IMG_0761.jpg

Another view:

IMG_0758.jpg