Sign in to follow this  
jag

Best quality throwout bearing

What is the concensus on the best quality throwout bearing for a 4 speed top loader? I replaced it last year and I think it is going again with less than 1000 miles on it. The reason I think it is going is when I push in the clutch, sometimes I will get a sound that sounds like the clutch is not fully disengaging. If I let out the clutch and then push back in it usually quits if it does not, a second push of the clutch will make it quit. This problem comes and goes. It will even start after the clutch is fully depressed.

Any ideas....is it the throwout bearing AGAIN?

JAG

Well, it could be a clutch cover too. What type of clutch are you running? I diaphragm or a pressure plate? It would be odd for a bearing to go bad this early, but not impossible. I really like Timkin and FederalMogul. Bruce

Try theseguys. They are in NY. Most Federal is now Hecho En Mexico. BCA is gone.

http://www.schatzbearing.com/about/index.htm

Folks gotta stop shopping at Walmart ...

Related, make sure you don't have too much preload on your TO bearing. They don't usually go, and you've gone through two quickly.

Edited by gsxrken
Add link

This is a stock 70 Mach. The clutch is a stock Ford heavy duty four finger . The install should be right on since we put the present thowout bearing on at a friend who has a lift. He is also a certified Ford mechanic from the 60s & 70s. This has got him stumped also. He says he has never seen this before in his 40s experience.

Bruce, I do not follow the clutch cover comment however. Can you elaborate a little more on that?

JAG

Well, you answered my question by stating its a four finger. So that means it is a pressure plate type cover. It has springs around the outer edge between the cover and the steel plate that goes against the clutch disc that look like valve springs. These types of covers will have either three or four arms that are operated by the throw out bearing. In my experience this type of clutch is stronger and more reliable. So that's a good thing.

A diaphragm clutch cover is made up of a large round piece of spring steel that has many fingers on it. Like twenty or thirty. This system is weaker because if the spring steel plate breaks you will most likely loose your clutch at once. And this has happened to me in the past. This system is usually used on light duty stock applications.

So, I was just trying to eliminate a source of problems and help you figure out this problem. To do that we needed more information on your setup. And you provided that so it's good. As gsxrken said, the problem may be not enough free travel. Meaning the bearing my be riding on the clutch fingers all the time and causing the bearing to wear out sooner. Or your bearing supplier is slipping you a cheap over the boarder bearing. Just throwing out some options. Bruce

Sorry for taking so long in getting back. I will take your advice and check the free play. The problem is it will be a couple of weeks since work will be getting in the way of fun! I will let all know what I find or don't find.

JAG