gsxrken

New aluminum front splitter

I've been busy with other things, but I recently got back on the Mustang.

Wanted to post a few pics of my new front splitter. It's fabbed from aluminum, riveted, and then secured with turnbuckles. I've always liked this Trans-Am spoiler, but toned down via powder coating it in black and only minor contrasts in brushed aluminum.

2012_+7_26_12_52.jpg

2012_+7_26_12_53.jpg

2012_+7_26_12_53.jpg

I also deleted the front facing running lights and turn signals, as I'm going to put some brake cooling ducts where they were.

Joe's Racing Products makes the turnbuckles. Cut to length. The stanchions are particularly nice.

Sorry, no further away shots as the car is still on the jack stands you can see in the pics. Have a bunch of loose ends before it hits the ground, but I'll eventually post some outside shots here for you. The car is pretty low at this point and this slightly longer/lower chin spoiler accentuates that look.

Edited by gsxrken
Joe's, not "Joel's"

Just be REALLY careful you don't hit road debris, or steep driveways/speed bumps/road construction very hard. With a rigid front splitter, and rigid struts, you can actually damage the front apron now. The factory style plastic unit flexes, but your rigid aluminum one will transfer loads onto the apron/sheet metal of the car.

Our American Iron race car learned this the hard way (tearing off the entire nose) with solid aluminum struts like those, and an all aluminum splitter. We how have a break away section made of wood (the lower lip), as do most of the other race cars.

Here is a shot of the AI car. The entire gray section of the splitter is made of wood. It simply shatters, rather than destroying our front end, should we hit anything.

abry36.jpg

Edited by Powershift

Finally down on the ground. It's wickedly low. I'll need to be vigilant or I'll be making another one, but it should be super-functional and hit the exact look I was after.

I'll try to get some outside shots when the weather improves...

2012_+9_+3_19_52.jpg

2012_+9_+3_19_52.jpg

Thanks for the kind words, guys. When you own one for 25 years like I have, you eventually get it to where you want it.

Got some outside shots0 I love this thing. I think more than anything I've done to the car, this really toughens it up.

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

There's nothing about that car that I don't like:thumbup1: Know what you mean about a 25 year project. I got mine 30 years ago. Can you elaborate on your choice of wheels & tires? I've been toying with some 17" wheels I like but my restoration shop people tell me that it will ride really hard. Any clearance problems?

We usually like to keep things here family oriented when possible but Fuckin' A that truly looks awesome!!!!!!! :drool:

You know of course that you have to prepare to be surrounded by accidents every time you are cruising now because it is a head turner for sure.

You should see if you can match up the angle of a new pic with one you have of the car in it's prior state (like your sig pic for example) and send them both to me, I'll do an animated morphing photshop image for you of the transformation.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. When you own one for 25 years like I have, you eventually get it to where you want it.

Got some outside shots0 I love this thing. I think more than anything I've done to the car, this really toughens it up.

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

Mmmmmm eye candy :sweatdrop:

Few more pics since you guys have been so fun about the whole thing:

315 Falken Azenis out back:

DSC_0015.JPG

Anvil's heat extractor hood in CF (covered elsewhere on this site on the Anvil thread):

DSC_0011.JPG

New Vintage USA gauges, Moto-Lita wheel and radio absentio:

DSC_0012.JPG

Recovered Recaro Model C's:

2012_+9_+3_19_51.jpg

Anvil's rear spoiler in CF:

DSC_0010.JPG

Maier's Panhard bar install: Magnaflow 2-1/2" exhaust fits with tweaks, but rattles now and then so I'll be back under there someday:

2012_+4_+6_18_+4.jpg

And one more of the splitter, to desperately try to get the thread back on topic- hope you like the pics!

DSC_0001.JPG