Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Wiring harness

I"m about to start wiring my 69 mustang with a American Autowire harness. After reading the instructions I see that the harness will only support an upgraded tachometer,does anyone know where I can buy an upgraded tach that looks like and fits like the original?

Also will have to use a voltmeter instead of the ammeter, could change that as well

Has anyone had issues with this wiring harness? It would be nice to know before I start.

I had no problems with the AAW kit. I had never wired a car before so it took me some extra time to get things working right. If you have your old harness, save it until you are all done and everything is working. The kit doesn't really support the mustang Heater switch so I used the riginal. I swapped out several of the original connecters as well. I believe I kept my back up light harness and some others.

I ended up swapping out all of my guages and added a tach. I chose the New Vintage guages and am very happy how it turned out. I think Summit sells them now where I had to go through the internet to buy them.

I checked CJ store, and on the American auto wire product, for 69, it says:

This 1969 harness will not work with the factory tachometer unless the tachometer has been updated with modern movement

What does it mean by modern movement?

I am using the American Autowire 1969 harness with a Tach dash. I know of 2 places that can convert the factory tach to the modern air core movement www.rcinnovations.com and the www.Tachman.com both are arond $135. The benefit of the new movement are simple one wire hook-up of the factory tach and the tach is no longer inline in the ignition circuit.

I have a lot of experience with electronics, I often provide my opinion if asked for or not. Tachman could do the conversion, or you could get an adapter. The factory tach was really just an ampmeter. The more amps the coil takes to spark the engine, the higher the tach went. New tachs work from the points, the higher the engine speed, the more often they open and close (or click) the higher the tach goes.

It is fairly easy to make and adapter to convert from point clicks to amps. Unfortunately it would take time to design this, but once designed could be built for $20 or less. I really wonder if Tachman actually changes the tach method, or if he just puts an adapter on it? Whatever he does, the price is reasonable. If he was not doing this conversion, or if his price was unreasonable, I could do it. But it looks like that is your only option.

If you would want me to look into this a bit more, I could. You have me curious now. I have the factory tach and harness.

It is kind of late now, because it looks like you already have the harness, but for a lot of reasons like this I recommend most to stay with the factory harness. There really was nothing wrong with them, and if it has problems it can be repaired at usually a much lower cost than the price and work on installing an aftermarket system. The aftermarket harness can be easy or difficult, and it all depends on your own knowledge of how electronics works. It sounds like you will be fine after you get the tach figured out.

If you have other questions, let us know! Good luck.

Another place that can do the modern 3 wire conversion is http://redlinegaugeworks.com/

It's interesting that the Tachman is now doing 3 wire conversions. About a year ago his website said something like "Don't let someone convert your tach, we will restore it for you".

My tach died earlier this year and I plan to have it converted over the winter.

Edited by 69gmachine
spelling

It is kind of late now, because it looks like you already have the harness, but for a lot of reasons like this I recommend most to stay with the factory harness. There really was nothing wrong with them, and if it has problems it can be repaired at usually a much lower cost than the price and work on installing an aftermarket system. The aftermarket harness can be easy or difficult, and it all depends on your own knowledge of how electronics works. It sounds like you will be fine after you get the tach figured out.

If you have other questions, let us know! Good luck.

I agree with Danno on this one as well. I too recommend you stay with your factory harness. I know the replacement type OEM harnesses are expensive (Alloy Metal products, Y and Z Yesterdays Parts, and Mr. Mustang) but often you dont have to replace it. You can have it refurbished or converted by Randy at "Midlife restoration". He does a great job and replaces any brittle or damaged wires or connectors. Less than 1/2 the price of a new harness.

You also need to consider if you install an aftermarket tach in the cluster, what are you going to do for a fuel gauge or water temp gauge. There is a number of things to consider when converting or changing gauges.

For the record, Tribute automotive who makes an excellent reproduction after market tach for 67 - 68 is also considering doing one for the 69 - 70. If any of you know anything about the 67 - 68 tachs, check out tribute automotvie's website.