Sign in to follow this  
pile_53574

Loose letters on trunk

The letter A is really loose on my trunk, so I pop trunk to tighten, but I don't see a way to get to the nuts to tighten?? Anyone have some insight?? Maybe I'm just blind an have brain fart (that's happened before! HAHA). Thanks, Pile

Like mike said they are pressed into a sleeved nut that is also pressed into the deck lid. Youll have to take the letter off probably break the studs in the process, knock the old tube nut out and hope the hole in the decklid isnt too enlarged now that the new one will press in tightly.

Unless u are doing a concours car i would prob just remove the A and get one of the repo set of letters that are attached with tape, or get some moulding tape and reattach your letter with the tape

Samer here, a little dot of super glue on the end of a tooth pick, I think on mine it was the "S". Since I swapped to a Shelby decklid in the rebuild I went with the adhesive letters now and just used the old ones for a spacing reference.

I had the same probelm with 3 of my letters on the trunck , Rather than pull them off . I took a little dab of clear adhesive and put some on the back of the letters and set in place . probelm solved.

Yes use a tooth pic , I didn't mean that i pulled them off , all I did was use a tooth pic to put some on the letter backs.

I have had some luck removing the letters w/o breaking. Should you desire removal: take a butter knife- wrap the tip in painters tape- several layers (this is so as not to scratch the paint) Gently slide under one side of a letter close as you can to the pin, twist the knife- gentle but firm- watch for the letter to lift approx 1 or 2 mm. Remove knife go to the other side of the letter and repeat. Don't try to get it off in 1 or 2 pulls or it will break or dent the sheetmetal. I can get usually all or worst case break one letter. The tube nuts can be found at NPD but be aware the repro trunk letters have incorrect alignment (or they did last year) so one or two letters are slightly crooked. I beleive it was the S or the N that was off.

OK, Soo now I see "A" is MIA, must've rattled off on road. As I see in NPD catalog I have to buy all letters, so the glue on ones will look the same as existing letters?, don't want to replace all for just one letter.

Dental floss works wonders. Slide it in-between letter and deck all the way against stud and pull up. Then come in from other side. May have to play around with it til it pops loose. Won't do any damage to paint. You should be able to find some new clips online, usually the issue is the clips lost their tension on the pins. Securing them with an adhesive wouldn't hurt, I'd definitely try and find one that's safe on paint.