Sign in to follow this  
stella69

Shaker system w/ stock hood

I have a '69 mustang with a 302 that will be getting lots and lots of work this fall/winter. My mustang has the stock decoration hood scoop, and it appears that it already has the cutout for the shaker hood, and the non functional scoop was placed on top. If I take this off, will the shaker system fit in the stock cutout? I appreciate any feedback!

I think you'll need to post pics of the cutout for that question to be answered with any kind of accuracy. Unless your 302 is a Boss or is not original to the car and it had a larger one to begin with then it easiy could just be a hole someone cut to make the decorative scoop functional at one time so no way to tell if it will fit a shaker or not without knowing the size/shape and location of it.

The next obstacle is then to modify some kind of shaker base to fit a 302 if it's regular and not the boss since it was never an option on the baseline V8 from the factory.

Welcome to the site BTW!

A stock decoration scoop as you call it will not cover a shaker hole in the hood.

Raise the hood and look at the underside, you can see the outline where the shaker hole would be. It is muchwider than the small hood scoop that bolts on the hood.

Also, if you had the turn signals in the hood scoop they would have had to have additional holes cut for the wires and they would be outside the area you need to cut for the shaker. so patching these holes would have to be done.

Thanks for all the help! I had considered going to shaker, but I had thought that there was already a cutout that would fit the shaker, and the non functional scoop was just placed over top. I just figured they made the same hood with the cut-out for all 69's, guess not. I appreciate the feedback, I'm still getting into the restoration world. Trying to keep muscle in the younger generation!

Last year I picked up a '70 Mach 1 project with a shaker. I'm learning a lot about the shaker systems. First and foremost, if you don't already have a shaker setup, it's EXPENSIVE to buy one. I'm also learning the reproduction shaker hoods can have some very serious fitment issues; even if they are listed as "Ford Tooling".

While I certainly dig the shaker, I think the non-functional, turn-signal scoop is pretty cool.

Good luck!

Edited by Klutch

I'm hoping to convert mine to shaker but dont want to cut my perfect turn signal hood. I have been looking for an original hood with no luck. Others tell me to buy a repop but I havent seen a repop panel that has fit yet so my search continues....

I'm hoping to convert mine to shaker but dont want to cut my perfect turn signal hood. I have been looking for an original hood with no luck. Others tell me to buy a repop but I havent seen a repop panel that has fit yet so my search continues....

Be sure to check out the prices for shaker parts. And make sure you're not drinking anything while you do so. Otherwise, you're likely to spit your drink all over your monitor when you see those prices. :scared:

And, as mentioned above, you'll have to figure out some way of making a shaker fit on a standard 302. The Boss 302 shaker would probably be the closest fit. But those are also pretty rare and even MORE expensive. So, maybe the 351W shaker would be a good option to modify. But I'm pretty sure you would have to do some mods.

Be aware many of the shaker setups you see for sale online are fiberglass and not aluminum, like the originals. If fiberglass is OK with you, it won't be all that expensive.

I just purchased all my Shaker components, with the exception of the pan, from an outfit in Australia. This included an adapter ring so that I could retro-fit the midplate onto a standard 17" base. All components are metal and the total for this was around $750 which included shipping. This verses 2.5K plus for a reconditioned OEM unit or $1500 for a used unit as seen in this recently sold ebay unit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221066100014?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_1182

Be advised that Scoot Drake currently makes an all metal unit, minus the pan, for around $700. I had considered it, but went with the Aussie unit as I needed the adapter ring.

Scott Drake All Metal Shaker:

http://www.drakeautomotivegroup.com/Store/Product/C9ZZ-9600-C.aspx?wid=141

I got the same adapter ring from Leon at www.Fordramair.com He's a dealer for the aussie stuff. MY scoop and adapter plate is late model casting. I think I have around ~$600 in my setup so far.

Heres a thread I started over on VMF entitled "Poor Mans Shaker"

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/621831-poor-mans-1970-shaker.html

I got the same adapter ring from Leon at www.Fordramair.com He's a dealer for the aussie stuff. MY scoop and adapter plate is late model casting. I think I have around ~$600 in my setup so far.

Heres a thread I started over on VMF entitled "Poor Mans Shaker"

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/621831-poor-mans-1970-shaker.html

Mike, saw your thread sometime back as I did a search on all metal shakers.....was glad I came across it for the adapter ring. Be advised, Leon no longer sales the Aussie stuff.....at least not the adapter ring.

Ahhh...it has been awhile since I checked in with him. So the hood and vac motor will likely put me over $1300 for the whole shaker prospect. What are you doing for a hood?

Edited by miketyler

Ahhh...it has been awhile since I checked in with him. So the hood and vac motor will likely put me over $1300 for the whole shaker prospect. What are doing for a hood?

I went with the Ford Tooling hood from CJ Pony. My order included the precut hood with the trim piece. They had some kind of sheet metal sale saving me about $150 bucks.

One thing, I've still not picked up a pan yet. As I will be running an RPM Air Gap, and thus will have to modify one for fit, have many questions. Was wondering if you had some diemensions on the various OEM air filter pans? Been all over the web looking for this but nothing.

I will be running Edelbrock Performer manifold and Edelbrock 1406 carb and am pretty sure I will be sitting too high and will have to do some kind of drop on the pan. No clue though until I get a hood. I would think the repop pans Leon has would be dimensionally correct. Maybe he can take some measurements or you. Have you fit the hood yet?

I have a shaker question unrelated to the current thread. I purchased a '69 Mach 1 351w engine with a shaker hood. The Marti report does not list this option so I assumed it was installed after delivery. My question is "was this offered as a dealer installed option or did it have to be installed later as an after-market kit". The chrome inner filter cover has a sticker labeled "351 RAM AIR".

Edited by mattspop