SWPruett

1970 Boss 302 Street/Touring Build Blog

Slow, slow, SLOW! Detail work at the rear of the car continues, but progress has been made! Heading into the Fall season and things are starting to shape up on the bodywork front. Soon, we will be fitting new doors and working the roof areas. My Winter work is planned!

http://1970boss302.blogspot.com/2014/10/rear-body-detail-work-hi-build-primer.html

Slow, slow, SLOW! Detail work at the rear of the car continues, but progress has been made! Heading into the Fall season and things are starting to shape up on the bodywork front. Soon, we will be fitting new doors and working the roof areas. My Winter work is planned!

http://1970boss302.blogspot.com/2014/10/rear-body-detail-work-hi-build-primer.html

Takes time to get it right! Thanks for all the detail.

Just wanted to mention this to you....

My local PPG store has stopped selling JP205 due to some complaints of it lifting in areas after time.

They are now selling JP 209 which is a high build primer also, not exactly sure what the differences are but the change was obviously for a reason.

I find the JP 209 easier sanding and for sure lays down nicer with way less sanding needed to get the orange peel out, it lays down real smooth with a 1.8 gun.

Just thought id mention it to you, I will be using the 209 for sure on my car.

My local PPG store has stopped selling JP205 due to some complaints of it lifting in areas after time.

They are now selling JP 209 which is a high build primer also, not exactly sure what the differences are but the change was obviously for a reason.

I find the JP 209 easier sanding and for sure lays down nicer with way less sanding needed to get the orange peel out, it lays down real smooth with a 1.8 gun.

This is almost unbelievable timing that you offer this information and thanks very much for passing it along.

I have recently had experience with this very issue on a few small areas with JP205 and will be moving to JP209 shortly. I have been working with JP205 for q good while and had a nice combination worked out that sprayed reasonably well with my turbine HVLP equipment, so it seems I will be starting from scratch with the JP209, but based on what you say about "sprayability", it might just work out better in the end.

Either way, I will report everything I find on the blog!

This is almost unbelievable timing that you offer this information and thanks very much for passing it along.

I have recently had experience with this very issue on a few small areas with JP205 and will be moving to JP209 shortly. I have been working with JP205 for q good while and had a nice combination worked out that sprayed reasonably well with my turbine HVLP equipment, so it seems I will be starting from scratch with the JP209, but based on what you say about "sprayability", it might just work out better in the end.

Hey no problem, ive followed your build and I hate to see all your hard work ruined because of using the 205.

You may be able to find more info out from somewhere, my local PPG store were pretty vague when it came to explaining why they changed but I heard it from different ppl.

I am happy they offered the 209 because like you have been using 205 for a while (personally ive had no issues) but now ive tried 209 I believe it to be a better product, I guess time will tell.

Good luck.

Hey no problem, ive followed your build and I hate to see all your hard work ruined because of using the 205.

You may be able to find more info out from somewhere, my local PPG store were pretty vague when it came to explaining why they changed but I heard it from different ppl.

I am happy they offered the 209 because like you have been using 205 for a while (personally ive had no issues) but now ive tried 209 I believe it to be a better product, I guess time will tell.

Good luck.

Good luck.

Very much appreciated. What I found really weird about this is that the areas that tried to lift were very small and absolutely random over a large spray area. Almost resembled solvent pop but not exactly. My solution was to basically sand through it to the base primer and shoot it over again. That makes for a pretty big PITA, but I certainly won't hesitate to change over and learn the trick of the JP209 if I save myself a single issue with that sort of thing!

Good luck.

Very much appreciated. What I found really weird about this is that the areas that tried to lift were very small and absolutely random over a large spray area. Almost resembled solvent pop but not exactly. My solution was to basically sand through it to the base primer and shoot it over again. That makes for a pretty big PITA, but I certainly won't hesitate to change over and learn the trick of the JP209 if I save myself a single issue with that sort of thing!

Looking really good.

I like the trim black finish that looks great.

All the gaps on the rear are looking great also, thanks for the update.

Ive followed your build for a while now.

Keep the progress coming.

I really appreciate that and thanks for following the blog. Those rear panel gaps were a bear but they turned out really slick and I think they will really look great in paint!

Thanks a bunch!

Edited by SWPruett

Looking really good.

I like the trim black finish that looks great.

All the gaps on the rear are looking great also, thanks for the update.

Ive followed your build for a while now.

Keep the progress coming.

I really appreciate that and thanks for following the blog. Those rear panel gaps were a bear but they turned out really slick and I think they will really look great in paint!

Thanks a bunch!

Edited by SWPruett

I wanted to invite everyone to visit and "Like" or "Follow" our Night Mission Boss 302 pages on Facebook & Instagram!

Our Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/NightMissionBoss302

Our Instagram Feed: http://instagram.com/night_mission_boss_302

We post short progress updates more frequently at these two social media outlets. It's a quick and easy "on-the-fly" way of keeping the information flow on the project coming. Please feel free to visit our pages and drop us a comment or two and if you like what you see, please "share" our pages with your friends!

Thanks!

I wanted to invite everyone to visit and "Like" or "Follow" our Night Mission Boss 302 pages on Facebook & Instagram!

Our Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/NightMissionBoss302

Our Instagram Feed: http://instagram.com/night_mission_boss_302

We post short progress updates more frequently at these two social media outlets. It's a quick and easy "on-the-fly" way of keeping the information flow on the project coming. Please feel free to visit our pages and drop us a comment or two and if you like what you see, please "share" our pages with your friends!

Thanks!

Thanks a bunch!

Yeah its a lot or work to get all those gaps on the rear looking nice, there are so many to take care of.

Most cars ive seen never line up good.

Yours are spot on, I built my car around the deck lid so mine should be spot on also lol.