SWPruett

1970 Boss 302 Street/Touring Build Blog

After about a month of almost zero progress due to some unfortunate family matters, I am back on it and making smoke! I am working on an update and will past new progress info shortly! Thanks for helping me stay on my game! VERY much appreciated!

What primer are you using ?

Rich,

I am pretty much a die-hard PPG DPLF primer user. Miss the old "leaded" DP, but have gotten pretty comfortable with the LF in the last few years.

Look forward to the updates Sven! I hope the family issues are better whatever they may be. Paulo

Paulo,

Thanks for the thoughts. Unfortunately, I lost my uncle to cancer at the end of May (VA took over a year to decide he was a "classic" Agent Orange victim from his tour in Viet Nam) and it threw a wrench into just about every aspect of family life.

He was my hot rod mentor from as far back as I can remember and it just hammered the steam out of everything for a while as we had to scramble to make travel arrangements and other pieces of business related to the whole ordeal.

The good news is that his suffering is over and we can concentrate on looking after my aunt going forward. This we can manage.....

All the best,

Excellent work there! A man after my own heart doing finish metal work. What brand is that spot blaster Sven? Looks like it works well.

John

Thanks John! The spot blaster I use is made by Zendex and called the "Speed Blaster". It is the best quality spot blasting tool I have found and works very well with many different types of media. I especially like using it with their Hot Spot abrasive recovery fixture. Worth the $$$.

Hello Everyone,

After an unfortunate delay in the progress of life in general, we're back in the shop and making smoke! New trunk lid and rear valence work is well on its way and things are looking pretty good! Gapping panels ain't much fun, but it sure is worth the effort!

http://1970boss302.blogspot.com/2014/06/rear-valence-trunk-lid-fitting.html

Looking good, Sven. Great progress. The weather has been much more conducive to working, I'm sure. My car had major issues on rear valance as well.

Really sorry to hear about your uncle.....

I have yet to even attempt to install my rear valence but I see you mention about moving or removing the bracket tab. I'm not clear on what you did there or with it. I removed my valence awhile back and seen that when I last had my car done that they cut one of the tabs right off. Wasn't impressed as it was a new NOS piece. Now I need to find just a tab to replace it. But curious what you did first :smile: Great work !!!!

Edited by stangnet33
spelling

Looking good, Sven. Great progress. The weather has been much more conducive to working, I'm sure. My car had major issues on rear valance as well.

Really sorry to hear about your uncle.....

Much appreciated! I have been slobbering all over the progress pictures on your car! That thing is going to be double-tough when it's finished! :w00t:

I have yet to even attempt to install my rear valence but I see you mention about moving or removing the bracket tab. I'm not clear on what you did there or with it. I removed my valence awhile back and seen that when I last had my car done that they cut one of the tabs right off. Wasn't impressed as it was a new NOS piece. Now I need to find just a tab to replace it. But curious what you did first :smile: Great work !!!!

I probably could have been a bit more clear on what I did on the mounting tabs. Sorry about that.

First thing to do is tack weld the tabs/bracket and the folded flange to the valence from the back side. This glues down these points and lets you freely work the edge to shape without having everything fall to pieces.

Second, the tabs on the mounting bracket get trimmed back from the edge about 1/4" so they don't clutter up the look of the gap when everything is pulled up into position.

Hopefully that makes things a bit more clear.