SWPruett

1970 Boss 302 Street/Touring Build Blog

Making steady progress on the rear quarters in preparation for "real" bodywork and panel fitting at the rear of the car. Both quarters are in pretty reasonable shape and should be pretty straight forward to get into shape!

Also, I took the opportunity to share a good lesson/tip to anyone who is considering "saving" original paint during their restoration.

http://1970boss302.blogspot.com/2014/01/stripping-rear-quarters-and-lesson-to.html

Enjoy!

Looks great! I love reading your blog. It gives me some drive to work on my 69droptop this winter in Michigan. It is soooo cold lol. Have been looking around for parts for my boss because hope to start it next winter. Been searching for a decent engine but may just get the one I have rebuilt. Keep up the great work.

Looks great! I love reading your blog. It gives me some drive to work on my 69droptop this winter in Michigan. It is soooo cold lol. Have been looking around for parts for my boss because hope to start it next winter. Been searching for a decent engine but may just get the one I have rebuilt. Keep up the great work.

I really appreciate the compliment! And man oh MAN has this winter been a cold one! :scared: There have been a few days that my shop heater couldn't keep up with the cold air leaks and I couldn't get it much warmer than about 62. Normally, it sits at a balmy 71 all day!

Keep the faith and make smoke whenever you can! It's great "winter therapy"!

Forgot to ask. After stripping the paint, how did you prevent the flash rust from happening to stripped metal. Thanks

I use a wipe of phosphoric acid-based Prep & Etch cut with a little bit of distilled water to treat all of the bare metal. The shop stays dry enough to keep flash rust under control for several weeks on end while I work. Hope this helps!

Another productive week spent on the Boss and some more tips to share along with the progress update. This week, I am covering surface rust removal on the rear quarters and how to find and remove "micro-rust" that lives in tiny pits and pores of what is visually clean metal. I hope you find the tips useful!

http://1970boss302.blogspot.com/2014/01/removing-surface-rust-tip-on-exposing.html

First, let me just say this: Winter SUCKS! skull5.gif.pagespeed.ce.SGgxrI5RPH.gif

However, in spite of nature's little tantrum here in Southeast Michigan, progress on the Boss continues!

I am finally engaged in doing "formal" bodywork and the process began at the left rear quarter. 44 years of mistreatment is slowly being unwound and things are starting to (slowly) take shape!

http://1970boss302.blogspot.com/2014/02/dent-repair-metal-finishing-on-left.html

Thanks!

I managed to get the left rear quarter smoothed up with a bit of filler and it's ready for a coat of primer/sealer before it's on to the right rear quarter. So far, the winter work plan is coming along quite nicely.

I also included a few tricks and tips for anyone interested in this phase of work on their own projects. I hope you enjoy!

http://1970boss302.blogspot.com/2014/02/smoothing-up-left-rear-quarter.html

Sven, I'll echo the comments of others and say awesome work. Thank you for sharing with such detail, what works for you and the reasoning behind it. You make it easy to understand the steps involved to achieve killer body panels. :thumbup1: Thanks again

PS can't wait to see your car finished, best of luck going forward.

Bossed

Bossed,

Very much appreciate it! I really enjoy passing along whatever I can in hopes that someone out there finds it useful. I figure anything that we can do to keep our beloved hobby alive is a good thing!

P.S. I have to admit that every time I see your signature picture I start thinking about doing a car in that same gold color!

Ha! I am DEFINITELY tardy on an update! Been out of the country on business for a week and am just getting back to tooling up an update now. Should be an update in a day or two but thanks for the kick! :yes:

Hello Everyone!

I managed to make some pretty good headway on the right rear quarter metal work over the past few weeks since my last update. With this work done, I can head into filling and blocking the panel in prep for primer/sealer! Getting there!

http://1970boss302.blogspot.com/2014/03/dent-repair-metal-finishing-on-right.html

Looks great as always. Anyone at boss site hassle you for modding it?

It's funny you should ask! Over the years, I have been called just about every imaginable name in the book for doing what I want with a car I've owned for 30 years! It's a big reason I don't participate in the Boss Forums much and why I will NEVER belong to the MCOA. Pretty amazing! :wacko:

WOW!!! Great work on the quarter r/s panel.

Thanks Mike! I was definitely happy with how the panels shaped up in the end. Still a thin skim of filler required, but VERY thin as luck would have it!

It's funny you should ask! Over the years, I have been called just about every imaginable name in the book for doing what I want with a car I've owned for 30 years! It's a big reason I don't participate in the Boss Forums much and why I will NEVER belong to the MCOA. Pretty amazing! :wacko:

I've caught flak from people saying "Why don't you modify a plain fastback. Leave the Mach 1 all original". My response is "They made over 40,000 Mach 1s. It's not rare, and mine wasn't a rare option car either. And oh, it's MY car. Go ahead and find a stock Mach yourself, and do what you want with YOUR car."

More power to you for building a badass car!!