SWPruett

1970 Boss 302 Street/Touring Build Blog

Holy crap, you got skeelz! If you want something done right...

It's hard to believe nobody reports bad products which allows so many of us folks to hear the "nobody else ever had a problem with it until now" BS line.  I also looked into getting one of the bumpers now made and somehow made the correct decision not to.

Now you do know that many a folk will be wanting one of your bumpers once you finish it. This may be a golden opportunity to recoup some of the money spent on your B302. I would think making extras would be the easy part.

17 hours ago, MAC390 said:

Nice work, we do a fair bit of resin infusion  molding on the boat repairs

Thanks!  And vacuum infusion is the only way to fly once you get a taste of it!  And WAY cleaner too!  

7 hours ago, RPM said:

Holy crap, you got skeelz! If you want something done right...

It's hard to believe nobody reports bad products which allows so many of us folks to hear the "nobody else ever had a problem with it until now" BS line.  I also looked into getting one of the bumpers now made and somehow made the correct decision not to.

Now you do know that many a folk will be wanting one of your bumpers once you finish it. This may be a golden opportunity to recoup some of the money spent on your B302. I would think making extras would be the easy part.

Thanks Bob!  

Actually, I am guilty as anyone on spelling out the crap parts I've run across.  I hesitate to do it as more than one of the vendors participate on this and other Mustang boards and I don't need the headache.

The tooling we are making for this bumper will be capable of making many duplicate parts, so if there is a demand, and enough mojo in the shop to have a run at them, we are considering making a few available.  But first...........just one!

6 hours ago, blackthunder70 said:

hi

great job done that a couple of years ago 

bought a fibreglass bumper also fitted like shit also

so i did mine in steel

cheers

20150303_141219.jpg

That looks super-sharp!  Doing them in steel is a whole different exercise as you already know!  I decided to go composite as a prelude to doing a few other bits in carbon and/or fiberglass a bit later down the road.

22 hours ago, blackthunder70 said:

thats a very nice rim like the high light on spokes

what size

cheers

barry

Thanks Barry!

These wheels are 18 x 9 in front and 18 x 10 out back with backspacing of 4.750" front and 5.900" rear.  The rear hub webs have been narrowed a bit to get the 1" lip reveal difference between the front and back wheels. 

4 hours ago, mach1cj said:

Love those rims...been thinking about a set for my Mach....but probably out of my budget.

Thanks!  Schott makes some absolutely stunning wheels and the quality is amazing.  While quite a bit more expensive than the normal fare, the difference in appearance and quality are truly "obvious".  Helluva commitment for sure!

13 hours ago, unilec said:

I can only imagine the amount of work that went into making this mold, do you plan to make a front bumper next?

Ugh!  I hate to even admit how much time we have into that rear bumper already!

I am probably going to do two front bumpers in the end.  Once completely stock based on an NOS bumper I have.  The second will be a smoothed and tucked version as a mate to the rear bumper.  I also have an NOS rear bumper that I may end up pulling a mold from to be able to offer composite factory-style bumpers for folks who want to be able to play in a medium other than steel.

2 hours ago, mustangstofear said:

Nice work. What you will find out is that even though it fits your car perfectly, once you start selling them to customers that have replaced the Qtrs, end caps and tailpanels , it won't fit the same. 

Yep!  We have a little info sheet that explains this, mounting instructions, and measures to get the best possible fit on each car.  Pretty typical for composites on older cars......

10 hours ago, RPM said:

Kudos on getting married Sven! Hopefully she's a Mustang gal. Impressive work on the bumper.

Thanks Bob!  Been a long time coming and she understands my "car life" better than most!  And thanks for the compliments on the bumper!  It's really starting to get there!