SWPruett

1970 Boss 302 Street/Touring Build Blog

Wow, very cool but sad story. Your uncle must have been a heck of a man!

Excellent planning and execution on the electrical. Can't wait to follow the shop build.

Thank you sir!  Undoubtedly, one of the finest and most honorable gentlemen I have ever met in my life.  Lots of guys and girls did a lot worse than me to have a fellow like that as a mentor!  We're gunna do him proud!

I get asked a lot about using U-Pol's Raptor coating as an alternative to conventional undercoating sprays and other underbody protectants, so this update features Raptor coating again but this time on the bottom of our new stainless fuel tank and the rear valence. Hope this helps answer some of the questions!

http://1970boss302.blogspot.com/2015/08/raptor-liner-fuel-tank-rear-valence.html

RPM,

I have to admit I was a s-l-o-w convert to sprayable bed liner products because they generally sucked.  But, when U-Pol brought out the Raptor product and my local distributor talked me into giving it a shot, I have loved the stuff and never looked back.  Applies very easily and is tough as nails.  Once you use it, you'll find yourself looking for almost anything to coat with it!  LOL!

I always thought they would trap moisture for some reason.

That's one of the beauties of the Raptor is that on a properly prepared surface that has been correctly seam sealed where required, the coating actually seals the panel like nothing you've ever seen.  However, like almost all catalyzed urethane coatings, it is reactive to atmospheric moisture during the curing process so the cardinal rule is that it should never be applied over bare metal.  That is where most people that have trouble go wrong.  In that way, it's no different than applying something like 3M urethane seam sealer in that it must be applied over primed or painted metal.

Have you posted any updates on the garage? I thought I subscribed to it, it's on garagejouranal.com right? Or is it in your Night Vision blog somewhere? Your shop thread slipped my mind.

Have you posted any updates on the garage? I thought I subscribed to it, it's on garagejouranal.com right? Or is it in your Night Vision blog somewhere? Your shop thread slipped my mind.

Bob,

I have been throwing all of the shop stuff together on the build blog and update live on Instagram.  I haven't posted anything on Garagejournal.com.  Honestly, the progress has been painfully slow.  Concrete contractors havce been killing progress dead, and until I get their work completed, I am dead in the water on construction (which we are doing ourselves).  Stay tuned, I will be sure to update on everything we do!  Thanks!

Well, I'm LONG overdue in this update, so apologies in advance!

The shop is done and outfitted and we have finally been able to get back to work on the Boss build!  Got the rear axle assembly & 4-link installed and are well on our way to lots of new stuff!

http://1970boss302.blogspot.com/2017/01/out-of-shadows-and-into-new-shop-rear-4.html

Finished up the fuel system and I'm really happy with the outcome.  Cunifer hard lines look amazing and everything is very tidy and almost invisible.  Moving on to finish up the Lokar e-brake system next!

http://1970boss302.blogspot.com/2017/02/fuel-system-install-part-2-hard-lines.html

Thanks!

Nice!  We are currently weighing our options for a manual for electronic e-brake.  Interested to see how you like this system once you install it.

Sven - Do you know where we can purchase the "Quick Clips" you refer to? I tried the link that was on your blog and it is no longer active. I'm really impressed with what you did with the fuel line routing and am trying to replicate it on my '69.

Wow!  I was just on their site less than a month ago!  I am hoping this is just something "technical" and temporary.

I would call Kenny Davis direct at Kenny Davis Hot Rods at 479-925-4446.  That is "the source" of the design and patent on Quick Clips.  Keep us posted and my apologies for any misdirection!

Had to shift gears for a bit to another car in the shop needing some attention.  But we'll be back on it soon with more updates and some fancy bits shortly!  Thanks for hanging in there with us and for the kind words!

7 hours ago, SWPruett said:

Had to shift gears for a bit to another car in the shop needing some attention.  But we'll be back on it soon with more updates and some fancy bits shortly!  Thanks for hanging in there with us and for the kind words!

Ooooo I like fancy bits! :)