SWPruett

1970 Boss 302 Street/Touring Build Blog

It's been a challenging past few weeks, but the floor in our Boss project is now fully seam sealed and we're heading toward getting the floor finish primed and start looking at applying the U-POL Raptor sprayable bed liner soon. It's coming along!

http://1970boss302.blogspot.com/2013/03/exterior-floor-seam-sealing-completed.html

Happy Easter, it is great to see repo metal with such a great fit with out having to tweak it.

Thanks Mike! I have to admit I was very surprised at the fit myself. I have had mixed results with Dynacorn parts, but this one really seems like a good piece. Some small tweaks will be required to get it perfect, but I ain't complaining! :yes:

Here is a BIG shout-out to the quality and ease of installation of the Street or Track coilover front suspension kit! I had the distinct pleasure of finally getting to do the first install of the SorT coilover kit on my Boss 302 project this past week and the experience was a welcome departure from most "bolt-on" experiences I have had. The bottom line is this kit is extremely well engineered and build quality is second to none. Can't say enough about how happy I am with this system! Have a look and if you have any questions, please let me know!

http://1970boss302.blogspot.com/2013/05/street-or-track-front-coilover.html

Sven,

Looks cool. How do you do camber adjustments with this system? It looks like the upper arm has some adjustability but you would have to take it off the car to adjust the heim joints in or out.

I also found the upper coil over a little confusing. Why do you have to drill holes? What has to be drilled, the shock towers? I put in TCP coil overs and they just use the holes that are already there for the braces.

Thanks,

Jim

Sven,

Looks cool. How do you do camber adjustments with this system? It looks like the upper arm has some adjustability but you would have to take it off the car to adjust the heim joints in or out.

I also found the upper coil over a little confusing. Why do you have to drill holes? What has to be drilled, the shock towers? I put in TCP coil overs and they just use the holes that are already there for the braces.

Thanks,

Jim

Thanks Jim! Camber adjustment can be accomplished in three ways: upper control arm rod end adjustment (as you have identified), lower control arm adjustment via the camber kit installed in the location of the factory cam bolt at the inner pivot, or a combination of the two. I plan to use the upper arm to primaryly establish caster and otherwise keep it short to tuck the rather large wheel/tire combo under the fender (18 x 9 with a 265/40 tire).

The upper coilover mount is designed to maintain the production upper spring seat reinforcement and therefore does not expose the upper shock tower bolt holes/slots. Essentially, all that is required is to drill the spring seat reinforcement to allow the bolts to pass through. Very easy.

Sven,

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I forgot that the upper spring perch also covers the holes and once removed, you can just slip the bolts through. It's pretty cool that they designed their bracket to allow the perch to still be there. It makes their system totally reversible were I would need to weld those perch's back.

One thought I had, can't you use the adjustment in the strut for your caster?

Jim

Jim,

The the idea that I could "undo" the coilover was a small influence on the selection of this particular coilover kit to be sure.

And to answer your question about caster adjustment, you are correct that primary caster adjustment can and is adjusted with the strut rod.

I finally dove into fitting up the Unisteer power rack & pinion steering to the Boss. Not a true "bolt-in" but pretty good. I made some slight modifications that I felt were necessary and will be sharing them with Steve @ Unisteer in hopes they may prove useful to others. Enjoy!

http://1970boss302.blogspot.com/2013/06/unisteer-rack-pinion-test-installation.html

Another great week of progress on the Boss project. 13" front brakes are now in place with a nice pair of PBR calipers from The Right Stuff Detailing!

Love the look of these over the Cobra script calipers and no need to rebuild scruffy cores!

http://1970boss302.blogspot.com/2013/06/13-front-disc-brake-installation-right.html

Another great week of progress on the Boss project. 13" front brakes are now in place with a nice pair of PBR calipers from The Right Stuff Detailing!

Love the look of these over the Cobra script calipers and no need to rebuild scruffy cores!

http://1970boss302.blogspot.com/2013/06/13-front-disc-brake-installation-right.html