SWPruett

1970 Boss 302 Street/Touring Build Blog

I had much of the Cobra brake parts already on hand, so I went with just the conversion adapter kit # ST-CBKREAR. If you don't have those parts already, the kit you identified should be just the ticket.

As for the spacer shim, I have found them only required when using the Green Bearing sealed o-ring style wheel bearings used by Moser with their axle kits. These bearings are a little bit wider than the stock bearings and the shim is required to make up that difference and allow the brackets to seat properly on the flanges with the wider bearings.

Hope this helps!

I had the worst time with the green bearings. The guy who set up my 8" rear swore by them so I installed them. I could not stop them from leaking! After 3 new O-rings and having it apart 4 or 5 times, I tossed them and went back to conventional bearings with axle seals. Hope you don't end up with the same problem!

Man Jayru, I hope you're right! I had pretty good luckj with them on the Moser axles & c-clip eliminator setup I have in my drag car, but they never get hot or see street duty. I guess I better keep a few spares around and my fingers crossed! Thanks for the insight.

Tackled some small rust repair work on the rear wheel opening that was well hidden. Glad I caught this before moving on or it would have bitten me down the road! The lesson learned is never assume the metal underneath the factory seam sealer is good!

http://1970boss302.blogspot.com/2012/11/right-rear-wheel-opening-repair.html

I hope this post finds everyone enjoying the remainder of the Christmas Season and hopfully enjoying some family and hobby time as well.

In spite of the pace of the season, I have managed a bit more progress on the Boss interior sheet metal preparations and a bit of body modification thrown in:

http://1970boss302.blogspot.com/2012/12/preparing-for-bigger-things-more.html

Looking nice Thanks for sharing your trials and tribulations.

Thanks for the comments! I figured a blog is only useful if you cover everything since no project ever goes 100% perfectly. Sometimes the most valuable information is what not to do! :no: Sharing the solution is certainly worth something as well. Got lucky on this one!

I had to laugh at your very descriptive explanation of the sealer's consistency. I can imagine the frustration of building up the nerve to start removing the uncured sealer!

Ha! Made sense to just about everyone evidently! :smartass:

That feeling is one of pure sickness in the pit of your stomach. That very moment when you know you're in trouble and you don't have a clue what to do next. I hate that! :oops:

Sven where did you get your Stainless steel tank from, and are you running a mech fuel pump?

The tank I got is made by Auto City Classic

http://www.autocityclassic.com/

This is the same tank that several folks here have used and is probably most easily found on eBay offered by "Tom's Classic". Price is very reasonable and the tank looks to be very well made (even though it's made in Taiwan). Fit was as close to perfect as anyone could ask.