SWPruett

1970 Boss 302 Street/Touring Build Blog

Hello all,

I just wanted to take a minute to invite anyone who may be interested to my 1970 Boss 302 build blog. I've owned the car for almost 30 years and I am one of the few owners who is crazy enough to modify and improve my car rather than get hung up in the "restore-it-to-concours-and sell-it-at-Barrett-Jackson" genre.

Anyway, I hope you might find some time to have a look and perhaps find something of interest. Lemme know what you think!

http://1970boss302.blogspot.com/

Thanks!

Sven Pruett

I appreciate you taking the time to check it out! I have to admit the term "brave" has rarely been used by most of the folks I run into when it comes to modifying my Boss. Most descriptors are considerbaly more "colorful", you might say! :blink:

I hope you have the time to stop by often and have a look! I always enjoy the feedback.

All the best!

I appreciate you taking the time to check it out! I have to admit the term "brave" has rarely been used by most of the folks I run into when it comes to modifying my Boss. Most descriptors are considerbaly more "colorful", you might say! :blink:

I hope you have the time to stop by often and have a look! I always enjoy the feedback.

All the best!

Your Modded Boss project has inspired me even more for my project. I don't have the engineering background you have but I do have a few fab skills and ideas that I will try an incorporate in my project.

Thanks for the inspiration. And a nice site to get some more ideas from.

I want to drive my Boss and not have to worry about a concours car that may get nicked or scratched backing it out of the padded trailer.

I have probably heard alot of the comments you have about modifying a Boss. Mine started out with a 65k mile original rusted out NJ car. So I have plans in progress to make it a much more fun car to drive. I became spoiled by driving my wifes 2010 Roush 427R. The handling is fantastic and the brakes are tremendous. So these were my first upgrades.

Keep up the great work and thanks again.

Tom

Tom,

Thanks for the compliment! It sure sounds like you and I are cut from the same cloth. While I appreciate the work that goes into a concours car, I have personally never understood them. Once someone builds a 100-point perfectly restored Boss 302, what follows that is unique? Different color? New trailer? New carpet for the display? I dunno......:confused1:

Glad to hear you are bringing yours back to life to enjoy and I'm glad for any benefit or "idea-starters" my blog might provide. And boy oh boy........the comments I have gotten over the last few years from some folks border on being threats :shit: and then there are the others who "get it". I find I have more fun with the latter :yes:.

All the best!

I was reading your write up with interest as most people would on this forum.I would like to know if there is some place around you that sells the cunifer brake line as the finish layout around the contours of the rearend was what I was looking for when I used stainless but could not achieve.I live across the border in Sarnia so if you could direct me there or even a web site would be much appreciated.Keep up the good work

I was reading your write up with interest as most people would on this forum.I would like to know if there is some place around you that sells the cunifer brake line as the finish layout around the contours of the rearend was what I was looking for when I used stainless but could not achieve.I live across the border in Sarnia so if you could direct me there or even a web site would be much appreciated.Keep up the good work

Zando,

You're not that far away at all! And thanks for checking out the blog.

I have had very good luck purchasing cunifer brake tubing and many other brake hardware parts from Brake Connect Tools & Hardware. Here is a link:

http://brakeconnect.com/

The cunifer tubing is called EZI Bend tubing and they have just about the best price around. You will love this stuff!

All the best!

I respect your direction here. I have been puzzled by concours guys my whole life. When you figure that these cars are over 40 years old, every single subsystem can be vastly improved with the exception of the looks of the body lines.

I wouldn't necessarily start with a Boss, but not out of religious conviction. Just a higher ante.

Thanks Ken, and agreed on all fronts. While the ante would certainly be high if I had started "from scratch" so to speak, for me, I'm just dancing with the date that I came with. Might as well spring for dinner while I'm there!

Best regards!

great read of the blog sven, great render of the car mate. Did i read correctly it carby engine, will it still be 302 boss engine?

Thanks very much! You are absolutely correct that the engine will be a Boss engine with a carb. For some twisted souls (like mine), a carb is still kinda sexy!

SWPruett -- which Street or Track rear disc brake kit did you order? i also have moser 31 spline axles (from 1999) and plan on ordering the SOT kit Part #: ST-1165BKR-2PC Street or Track 11.65'' Rear Disk Brake System wondering if i will need the spacer as you did..

thanks for your time...!:thumbup1:

I had much of the Cobra brake parts already on hand, so I went with just the conversion adapter kit # ST-CBKREAR. If you don't have those parts already, the kit you identified should be just the ticket.

As for the spacer shim, I have found them only required when using the Green Bearing sealed o-ring style wheel bearings used by Moser with their axle kits. These bearings are a little bit wider than the stock bearings and the shim is required to make up that difference and allow the brackets to seat properly on the flanges with the wider bearings.

Hope this helps!

great! thanks for the info!! again.. great build!:thumbup1:

I had much of the Cobra brake parts already on hand, so I went with just the conversion adapter kit # ST-CBKREAR. If you don't have those parts already, the kit you identified should be just the ticket.

As for the spacer shim, I have found them only required when using the Green Bearing sealed o-ring style wheel bearings used by Moser with their axle kits. These bearings are a little bit wider than the stock bearings and the shim is required to make up that difference and allow the brackets to seat properly on the flanges with the wider bearings.

Hope this helps!