Sign in to follow this  
Restomod

70 Mach hood stripes

Long time lurker, first legit question. I have a 1970 Metuchen built 351c Mach 1 with a hood scoop (not a shaker) and I have a question about the stripes. Mine seem off and I cant figure out why but the stripe towards the cowl actually goes underneath the hood scoop just by a hair. As in there is not an equal gap between the side stripe and the middle black out stripe from front to back. Everything I see on templates refers to a Dearborn car? Were the stripes dimensionally different on a Metuchen car, if they are or are not what are the measurements.

First pic is not the greatest but I think you can see a little that towards the cowl it slants towards the scoop. The second picture is a pic I found that shows the gap all the way back on scoop car. The inside shot in the link from Bill at the SAAC meet, if you look through the windshield you can see where the scoop overlaps the stripe.

IMG_9452

Thanks guys I am going to measure in the morning. I almost think the only thing that makes any sense is that the blackout center strip doesnt taper from smaller out front to 16 in the back like the diagram . That would cause the 351 outer stripes to go in towards the back.

I think the scoop is centered bc the hood has that taper in the center andvit doesn't look off of that.

Next thing after that will be figuring out what to do about it. I am sure I would have to get the hood repainted once I messed with it. Grabber Orange seems like a tough color to match especially after sone fade and not knowing who painted it.

Ok I did some measurements and I am about 90% sure who ever did the car put the shaker style stripe kit on this instead of a hood scoop kit. I am also still trying to figure out by touch if they are all decals or if the center was painted and the stripes are decals.

I assume all of those details would make a difference if I could somehow get them off and redo them without repainting the whole hood. At this point I dont think that will be possible. The center stripe is only 13.5 inches in the front and according to that picture you showed me that should be 15.5.

My other option which would cost more would be to try and actually make it a shaker car. Are the hoods the same for a hood scoop car and a shaker car? That also not really be possible once I took the hood scoop off if there was a lot of fading.

Once you have the holes for the hood scoop drilled they are out side the opening for the shaker & you would have the 2 oval holes for the hood scoop lights in the hood also. You would need a new hood for the shaker.